• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC book tampered with?

15 posts in this topic

Does this case looked suspicious to anyone else? The top left corner seems to be cracked in multiple places but I can't tell for sure.

I dunno, it's kinda small, not sure I can make it out 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Ironically I just cracked a CGC slab today and all 4 of the posts survived 100% IN TACT 893whatthe.gif This is only the second slab I have cracked but I was surprised at how easy it was to do this while maintaining the structure of the outer shell. Afterwards I put the slab back together (after removing the inner well and placing the comic in a Mylar) the posts popped back in and it is almost impossible to tell (besides there no longer being a book in there) that the slab was tampered with.

I have a question is the label selaed in the inner well on all slabs now??? I sure hope so, it would have been extremely easy to swap out the label in the slab I opened. I wasnt even trying to do this at first but notced the flexibility of the outer shell. IE the sides could be pried open like a clam easily to a point where it was possible to get a good portion of my hand in there. So I then flexed it a bit back and forth until it popped and came apart perfectly.

Ironically I just cracked a CGC slab today and all 4 of the posts survived 100% IN TACT 893whatthe.gif This is only the second slab I have cracked but I was surprised at how easy it was to do this while maintaining the structure of the outer shell. Afterwards I put the slab back together (after removing the inner well and placing the comic in a Mylar) the posts popped back in and it is almost impossible to tell (besides there no longer being a book in there) that the slab was tampered with.

I just did the same thing this week and there was no cracking at all I could have slid in some ratted out copy and sold it like that on ebay,,,this is sort of frightening to think something like this could happen! I always thought the cases would crack to show it had been tampered with!

I just did the same thing this week and there was no cracking at all I could have slid in some ratted out copy and sold it like that on ebay,,,this is sort of frightening to think something like this could happen! I always thought the cases would crack to show it had been tampered with!

How were you going to swap the book out of the inner well? confused-smiley-013.gif

Whet - It looks normal to me . . . why are you suspicious? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

shy.gif I'm no expert but the upper left corner appears to have two cracks that show up on the case. Judging by the old style cgc label, this book was graded before the labels were contained in the inner well. From what I've read on these boards it would be easy to crack open that corner, swap labels and try to pass this book off as a high graded speciemen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Whet - It looks normal to me . . . why are you suspicious? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

shy.gif I'm no expert but the upper left corner appears to have two cracks that show up on the case. Judging by the old style cgc label, this book was graded before the labels were contained in the inner well. From what I've read on these boards it would be easy to crack open that corner, swap labels and try to pass this book off as a high graded speciemen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

It doesn't appear that that's been done here - note the heat seal of the inner well travels right over and through the label - it would tear on this one, if you were to attempt to change it. I have seen them where the label is not sealed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Correct David the label on the slab I cracked was not in anyway attached to the inner well. It was a new label book - I know they have begun sealing the label in the inner well, is this on all books now, or just some eras, IE moderns. confused.gif

When I pulled the majority of my comics out of their slabs, most (all but two if I remember correctly) of the modern, new label slabs broke open surprisingly easily with all four posts intact.

Jim