• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the ? Am I missing something? DD 148 price variant

30 posts in this topic

Check out 6524585805. Why so much?

That's really expensive, BUT 148 is a bear of a variant. It took me something like a year and a half to get one in a forum transaction (with who else but flying-donut). NONE were available for sale during that time and I only think one has come up for sale since, so we're talking close to two and a half years with one copy making it onto eBay.

For a specific timeline, I probably started ACTIVELY searching for the DD 35 cent variants in late 2002, early 2003. I finally got 146 and 147 for $115 apiece in July 2003. It then took me until June 2004 to get a copy of 148. I think one has come up for sale since.

No - the normal price for this book is 30 cents. Here's a great reference site on 35 cent variants.

This one is so pricey because of a perfect storm of factors - 1) Daredevil collectors, more than most Marvel superhero collectors, are looking for all issues, variants, etc. 2) Daredevil 148, as noted by Rob above, is tougher than most 35 cent variants to find 3) it appears to be relatively high grade and 4) (*and perhaps the most important*) bonas123 has deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pockets when he wants to get one.

The last one sold from the KDK99 hoard in Florida for 79.33 about a month ago.

Sandro was just sleeping on that one.

For those keeping track-- the 146 from the same hoard went for $76.33, and the 147 went for $79.33.

Probably in line with what they are really worth today.

but whatever

Think that one is bad check this one out. I sent my X-men 105 35 center off to CGC after seeing the price on this one. My god.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6525362606&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

frustrated.gif

Hey Robert--I guess you will never sell me that 105 now. flowerred.gif

So what is happening with some of these other books? Tax refund time, shills, insufficiently_thoughtful_persons? See the common, ungraded ASM 172 going for $172 right now?

Think that one is bad check this one out. I sent my X-men 105 35 center off to CGC after seeing the price on this one. My god.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6525362606&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Nothing like a 60% return on your money in 10 months.

frustrated.gif

Hey Robert--I guess you will never sell me that 105 now. flowerred.gif

So what is happening with some of these other books? Tax refund time, shills, insufficiently_thoughtful_persons? See the common, ungraded ASM 172 going for $172 right now?

I never planned to sell the 105 ever, but man a chance at a 1-2000% return on an investment is hard to pass up. With the stock market down it would be great to add some quick cash to my IRAs or my kids coverdales. Not saying I am selling it, yet but man can you honestly blame me if I do?

Watch alot of them pop up in the next few weeks.

I saw the ASM before you did I think as per my bid. headbang.gif ASM completists at work. A shill is possible, but I usually check out sellers auctions and I rarely see it. At least for those type of books.

My theory on big money.

1. Tax refunds

2. Beginning of Summer Conventions

3. Completists (Yeah I fall in here.)

4. Speculators - New Overstreet will disappoint them.

5. I gotta have it NOW mentality. (Its a U.S. thing.)

Always nice to see things stir up in Variant Land - me I just popcorn.gif and lurk, all the while thanking god I DO NOT SPECIFICALLY COLLECT VARIANTS. 23_4_77.gif

you forgot about refering to variant collectors as "vultures"

nothing is stirring in variant land.....

this is typical bonas0123. when he needs a book, he gets it

the X-men story is a story of stupidity, & has nothing to do with true variant collecting.

hoarders & speculators is my opinion. they can have it. gossip.gif

Dan--your link is to a heritage sign in page. Daffy did say he thought it was the heritage book though.

The book is the Heritage book. You can tell by the Heritage 7495 sticker on the stab.

I actually think the whole variant thing is cool - espcially the research that I know a lot of board members have undertaken to flesh out the history of these books. Its such a spcialized sub-set that it demands a lot of attention and knowledge in order to finish.

I actually applaud all the variant collectors, I may not understand the impulse (Star Wars 1-4 and IF 14 aside) but I understand and respect what you guys are trying to do.

It only ticks me off when Darth points out that I don't have a complete HG run of X-Men from 94 or some other title because I lack the variants. Christo_pull_hair.gif But he's my board nemesis so that's what he there for. At least he has excellent taste in comics, just wish he'd stop bidding on them on Ebay. stooges.gif Actually we haven't butted heads in a while 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The last one sold from the KDK99 hoard in Florida for 79.33 about a month ago.

Yup, pretty sure I was the buyer.

It is definitely the Heritage book as the red mark in the top left hand corner is identical.

Speaking of idiotic completists, check out my WWW site if you have any Wolverine, Daredevil, or Amazing Spider-Man collections.

http://home.comcast.net/~taste_of_h8red/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html