• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader notes minor, but harsh grade?

6 posts in this topic

Just curious, but are there typically other deductions that aren't called out on the grader notes? I have seen a handful of books where the grader notes will say something like "Large, light crease left bottom of back cover" which was the only note, and resulted in a 7.0. I have seen another book stating some creases/bends also resulting in a mid grade.

Just seems crazy since they present so nicely, but don't end up with a high grade due to some creasing? Wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thanks!

Around 2008 I cracked this CGC 5.5 that, in hand, was a gorgeous VF 7.5 +.

Turns out on closer inspection has a major crease back cover (faint).

So, while I don't know about grader's notes, I agree that books can be hit pretty hard for creases, even on back.

yx34yly.jpg

Just curious, but are there typically other deductions that aren't called out on the grader notes? I have seen a handful of books where the grader notes will say something like "Large, light crease left bottom of back cover" which was the only note, and resulted in a 7.0. I have seen another book stating some creases/bends also resulting in a mid grade.

Just seems crazy since they present so nicely, but don't end up with a high grade due to some creasing? Wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thanks!

How are large creases not a major defect?

if they break colour and they're large, for sure they're going to affect the grade big time.

I.e. expect a vertical subcrease to net a 4.0 give or take

if it's a large light crease, perhaps it can be improved with a press (provided it doesn't break colour)