• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supermans first flight ?

55 posts in this topic

Superman's 1st flight is NOT Action Comics #123 from 1948, it is 4 years earlier in Superman #30 from 1944. I showed this to Overstreet so he added the remark "Superman flies for the first time" under Superman #30 in the price guide,

but forgot to remove it from Action Comics #123.

Here's is the splash page from Superman #30 showing his 1st flight.

Superman says, "I-- I thought I was the only man who could fly!"

Mxyztplk_zps54702264.jpg

The strange part is that, after Superman 30, Supes continues to get airborne by jumping. But from Action 123 onward, the word "fly" is used in the stage directions consistently. That also coincides with Siegel and Shusters' ouster from DC following their lawsuit.

I only know this because Bruce Ellsworth came to my house one day many years ago with the purpose in mind of determining when Supes began to fly. He knew I had one of those collections where some kid clipped the supe stories from Action Comics -- which allowed him to do the research without endangering the condition of valuable books. Bruce went meticulously through the whole history looking for the word "fly" in the captions. He noted that Supes appeared to zigzag in mid-air in ways that implied flying since virtually the beginning, but that Siegel generally took pains to say in the captions and behind the scenes that Superman was only jumping. So Bruce was looking for the caption that used the word "fly" or "flying" and it seemed that he didn't find any prior to Action 123, but it was there consistently afterward. I don't know if he'd checked the Supe comics separately but we didn't check any that day. So I don't know whether he knew about the Supe 30 use of that word (or whether he would've advised Overstreet differently if he had) But I would guess that the word "fly" only becomes ubiquitous in the Superman title about the same time as Action 123.

Edited by bluechip

It appears from the images posted that #123 may be the first time Supes is unequivocally "flying", based on body position and text. While the earlier stories do include the word "fly" in the dialogue, Superman's pose is the traditional hurdling pose he had used since his leaping days, one leg bent and the other out, and "fly" could easily be used descriptively, but not literally, as in "flying squirrel".

Comic book physics are pretty vague and flexible anyway, and I see this more as an evolution than a big moment. Once it's established that someone can leap fantastic heights and distances, whether or not they are actually flying isn't that important. Besides if Superman were always landing from jumps hundreds of feet into the air, shouldn't he be leaving impact damage much of the time, as opposed to being able to slow his rate of descent in order to land gracefully.

It would seem a more significant evolution in the character was when it was established he could actually fly beyond earth's atmosphere, and at speeds that could take him to other planets, then galaxies, and eventually allow him to travel backwards in time. When was any of this established?

It appears from the images posted that #123 may be the first time Supes is unequivocally "flying", based on body position and text. While the earlier stories do include the word "fly" in the dialogue, Superman's pose is the traditional hurdling pose he had used since his leaping days, one leg bent and the other out, and "fly" could easily be used descriptively, but not literally, as in "flying squirrel".

Comic book physics are pretty vague and flexible anyway, and I see this more as an evolution than a big moment. Once it's established that someone can leap fantastic heights and distances, whether or not they are actually flying isn't that important. Besides if Superman were always landing from jumps hundreds of feet into the air, shouldn't he be leaving impact damage much of the time, as opposed to being able to slow his rate of descent in order to land gracefully.

It would seem a more significant evolution in the character was when it was established he could actually fly beyond earth's atmosphere, and at speeds that could take him to other planets, then galaxies, and eventually allow him to travel backwards in time. When was any of this established?

I don't know the time line for the increasingly God-like powers but I would guess the 50s and early 60s are when most of that occurred. It got to the point that stories would virtually open with Clark Kent having a soda with Lois and then seeing an icicle falling toward a girl in Siberia, saving her with a blast of super-breath that traversed the globe, without ever leaving his seat or drawing any attention.

Action Comics

Issue No. 123

Issue Date 8/48

Year 1948

Publisher D.C. Comics

Country

Key Comments Rainbow Man appearance in Vigilante., Full page for Dale Evans #1

From CGC census - comments have not been changed, so book has either not gone in yet, CGC doesn't agree or Joey subbed to Volde (i'm cool with either now new case issue is sorted)

I am amazed though, that there are only 12 on census.

Regarding the Fleischer cartoons, I read many years ago that the studio did want to have Supe fly, because it just looked lame (modern term) to have him bounding from place to place. I also recall that it was the cartoon "The Arctic Giant" (1942) that triggered the request for flight.

Take a look at the cartoon on Youtube; Supe does indeed look strange leaping from building to building and then from mountaintop to mountaintop.

--ElJay

I thought this was resolved before and was in Superman 8. In addition, I thought it was the radio show that changed his abilities. I don't think they would have waited so long to change things when other flying heroes kept popping up and Superman had to out-Super everyone.

(shrug)

27586241195_03574fd76d_b.jpg

well, he's definitely flying on the cover of Action #29 right? I mean, he swoops in from one direction, grabs Lois and then turns in mid-air and flys off into another direction, that's not jumping or leaping.

Exactly what I thought looking at the covers.

well, he's definitely flying on the cover of Action #29 right? I mean, he swoops in from one direction, grabs Lois and then turns in mid-air and flys off into another direction, that's not jumping or leaping.

Opinions on the art, poses & movements are all up to interpretation. Even the artists themselves can have a varied drawing style, where one artist makes Superman look like he is flying, then the next issue he looks like he is leaping like the Hulk. Superman #30 is the 1st time Superman ever says he can fly.

Looks that way to me :popcorn:

Opinions on the art, poses & movements are all up to interpretation. Even the artists themselves can have a varied drawing style, where one artist makes Superman look like he is flying, then the next issue he looks like he is leaping like the Hulk. Superman #30 is the 1st time Superman ever says he can fly.

Opinions on the meaning of what Superman says are all up to interpretation. Even the writers can place hidden meaning in a quote or a knowing wink of the eye. Superman had that knowing look in many issues prior to #30. Was it the knowledge of flight that he was being so coy about?

Opinions on the meaning of what Superman says are all up to interpretation. Even the writers can place hidden meaning in a quote or a knowing wink of the eye. Superman had that knowing look in many issues prior to #30. Was it the knowledge of flight that he was being so coy about?

:screwy: