• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebas

6 posts in this topic

For all the lurkers on the board, I have a curious question about a particular artist. Does Ebas have the same appeal/following as Adam Hughes/J Scott Campbell/Alex Ross etc. I always see emails or posts relating to exclusive cover done by Ebas. Some of the covers are retailing around 100 to 200 dollars but I hardly see any posts on the CGC Boards.

Eric Basaldua is one of those artists with untapped potential. He has the same appeal as Adam Hughes more so than J. Scott Campbell and Alex Ross in that eBas is known most as a pin-up artist whose renderings of female characters are far more popular than those of male characters. I'd estimate the same scenario with Adam Hughes, but not J. Scott Campbell nor Alex Ross whose works across most characters garner similar values and popularity.

The difference between eBas and AH! is that Hughes is more mainstream with a larger portfolio and more popular body of work and larger fan base. eBas' work tends to lean a bit more risque with a much smaller body of work, often on lesser known characters with indie publishers like Zenescope and the like. Both artists are capable of creative humor in their work, where Hughes is more teasing and Basaldua's a bit more erotic.

I wouldn't put eBas in the same realm as any of the artists you name otherwise, however and until he gets a more solid body of work in his portfolio and professionalizes his work into more mainstream appeal, reducing if not eliminating his "Go A55 !" tagline for that mass appeal, he probably won't be in the same league as some of his peers for which his talent could bring him upward towards. His work is amazingly good, he just needs to be "more mature" in his professional approach to the projects he takes on and "less mature" in his subject matter and renderings at times. It would be great to see him get mainstream work, aside from DC/Marvel covers, maybe reacquainting himself to fans by doing interior work on a title as well.

Eric Basaldua is one of those artists with untapped potential. He has the same appeal as Adam Hughes more so than J. Scott Campbell and Alex Ross in that eBas is known most as a pin-up artist whose renderings of female characters are far more popular than those of male characters. I'd estimate the same scenario with Adam Hughes, but not J. Scott Campbell nor Alex Ross whose works across most characters garner similar values and popularity.

The difference between eBas and AH! is that Hughes is more mainstream with a larger portfolio and more popular body of work and larger fan base. eBas' work tends to lean a bit more risque with a much smaller body of work, often on lesser known characters with indie publishers like Zenescope and the like. Both artists are capable of creative humor in their work, where Hughes is more teasing and Basaldua's a bit more erotic.

I wouldn't put eBas in the same realm as any of the artists you name otherwise, however and until he gets a more solid body of work in his portfolio and professionalizes his work into more mainstream appeal, reducing if not eliminating his "Go A55 !" tagline for that mass appeal, he probably won't be in the same league as some of his peers for which his talent could bring him upward towards. His work is amazingly good, he just needs to be "more mature" in his professional approach to the projects he takes on and "less mature" in his subject matter and renderings at times. It would be great to see him get mainstream work, aside from DC/Marvel covers, maybe reacquainting himself to fans by doing interior work on a title as well.

JSC male covers don't have the same appeal or value as women covers. I wouldn't put Ross in the same category or caliber of JSC or Hughes, who are both more know for sex appeal. Ross is in a category with Dell 'Otto.