• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Daredevil 183 really a CGC 9.8?

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

So i'm fairly new to collecting graded books and I recently purchased a Daredevil 183 graded at CGC 9.8. It was graded about 2 months ago and I immediately noticed a small tear in the upper right front cover corner and slight damage to the lower left front corner. I know CGC grading can be a mystery but it seems with these flaws it should be at most a CGC 9.6. Just wanted to get other opinions on it and maybe some insight as to why this could have been graded a 9.8. The comic doesn't move at all inside the inner-well so I don't think it could be shaken comic syndrome.

Also, I attached photos a CGC 9.6 Spider-man 298 that seems to have a off-white, almost cream colored, front cover instead of white. It may be hard to see the actual color from the photos but i'm not sure how great a defect CGC views an off-white front cover.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Direct links:

Daredevil 183 Photo 1

Daredevil 183 Photo 2

Dardevil 183 Photo 3

Spider-man 298 Front Cover

I definitely agree, there should be a limit on how much production issues can affect grades. It almost seems like there is too much flexibility given to writing defects off as production flaws. This seems too big a flaw to get a 9.8 grade, production flaw or not.

I'm guessing part of the reason the Spider-man 298 got a 9.6 could be due to the off-white cover? Not really sure, I don't see anyother apparent flaws with the book.

I definitely agree, there should be a limit on how much production issues can affect grades. It almost seems like there is too much flexibility given to writing defects off as production flaws. This seems too big a flaw to get a 9.8 grade, production flaw or not.

I'm guessing part of the reason the Spider-man 298 got a 9.6 could be due to the off-white cover? Not really sure, I don't see anyother apparent flaws with the book.

CGC does limit production defects, as well as the severity of production defects in 9.6/9.8.

You will not see these sorts of production defects in 9.9/10.

FWIW, I remember seeing a CBCS 9.8 of an 80's Avengers book, I think it was an Avengers 181 on this board a while back...with the same production defect at the top right corner...and several boardies ripped into CBCS for grading softly.

The BRC is too fuzzy to see much but I'd bet that is a small bindery tear.

Pretty much what is going on with this thread, to a lesser extent.

Far as the DD 183, I see what *could* be a color breaking spine tick located a centimeter or so below the 60 cent price in the top left corner.

That could be a piece of fuzz created by the camera or a scratch on the case.

Far as the ASM 298, the book does not seem to have an off-white cover but again...even with a high quality scan, you cannot see how white a cover is when the book is inside of a plastic tomb.

CGC does limit production defects, as well as the severity of production defects in 9.6/9.8.

You will not see these sorts of production defects in 9.9/10.

FWIW, I remember seeing a CBCS 9.8 of an 80's Avengers book, I think it was an Avengers 181 on this board a while back...with the same production defect at the top right corner...and several boardies ripped into CBCS for grading softly.

The BRC is too fuzzy to see much but I'd bet that is a small bindery tear.

Pretty much what is going on with this thread, to a lesser extent.

Far as the DD 183, I see what *could* be a color breaking spine tick located a centimeter or so below the 60 cent price in the top left corner.

That could be a piece of fuzz created by the camera or a scratch on the case.

Far as the ASM 298, the book does not seem to have an off-white cover but again...even with a high quality scan, you cannot see how white a cover is when the book is inside of a plastic tomb.

Appreciate all the feedback! I noticed the same thing, it seems like it could be a piece of thread inside the case. Its somewhat hard to tell if it is in the inner well or outer well. The photo I posted of the ASM 298 does not seem to do the cover color justice, it does seem a little more cream color in person but overall I can't complain as i'm just happy to have it.

Buy the book not the label? (shrug)

Yeah I agree, I try to buy the ones that look good to me visually but the ones I get via feebay are sometimes difficult to see potential flaws from the photos. Sometimes if the price seems like a good deal and the photos aren't great I have to take a chance and bid on it. With the exception of this one flaw, i'm overall happy with it.