• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any point in going to a Con to buy books on Sunday?

50 posts in this topic

I only go to one con every year (Baltimore), and don't shop for keys or books to flip, but I always go on the last day. And every year, I am truly amazed by the number of VERY nice BA books that are still sitting in dealers' $1-$2-$3 & $5 boxes.

One dealer at Baltimore this year had a large number of long white boxes (50? 100?) jammed with highly respectable BA books, many of which were in the VF+ to NM (or better) range -- earlier stuff, too (i.e. 15 and 20-cent cover prices).

A nice selection of many good titles in all genres were still remaining late in the day on Sunday (Bats, Tec, ASM, etc.), with multiple copies to choose from in some cases, and all were priced at $2 or $5 each (see below for a $2 sample).

But...what I'm talking about is more collector-oriented, and probably isn't worth a 7-hour trip and the admission fee, especially if you're looking to flip. Still, ya never know...

kamandi57_zps2zk8luoz.jpg

You also have to remember that dealers buy stuff throughout the con -- whether from other dealers or from people coming to the show. I'm constantly putting up new stuff on my wall. If it's a 3-day show and you start Friday with 120 comics on your wall, come Sunday (and it's a good show), there might be 40 new comics up there that weren't there when the show started.

I've bought plenty of good books on Sundays at cons. Like Roy said, not everyone buys the same books. Those same "sharks" you mention earlier, you will normally not see digging through the boxes...etc etc

That being said, there is no way I would travel 7 hours round trip for the last day of a con.

You also have to remember that dealers buy stuff throughout the con -- whether from other dealers or from people coming to the show. I'm constantly putting up new stuff on my wall. If it's a 3-day show and you start Friday with 120 comics on your wall, come Sunday (and it's a good show), there might be 40 new comics up there that weren't there when the show started.

Yea but the books you bought for $20 are now up on your wall for $40 which probably is the going rate (if not a smidge higher) then the going rate. Buying the book for $20 is the benefit to being there on Friday.

I've bought plenty of good books on Sundays at cons. Like Roy said, not everyone buys the same books. Those same "sharks" you mention earlier, you will normally not see digging through the boxes...etc etc

That being said, there is no way I would travel 7 hours round trip for the last day of a con.

That's the conclusion I have come to also. There is a Con an hour away I'll hit on Saturday morning and hopefully I can make it to Cincinnati another year.

Yea but the books you bought for $20 are now up on your wall for $40 which probably is the going rate (if not a smidge higher) then the going rate. Buying the book for $20 is the benefit to being there on Friday.

Maybe. But you also may have traded some of your dead stock to someone to get the book. You may have bought something for $20 and are happy to get $25 24-hours later because your show was so-so. You may sell that book in a package deal where you know you'll make some profit from the other 3 books, so selling that one at cost isn't the end of the world. You may have bought 4 copies and it's okay if you don't break the bank on one of them. You may be selling it to a friend and not worrying about making a lot.

Sundays aren't terrible.

Maybe. But you also may have traded some of your dead stock to someone to get the book. You may have bought something for $20 and are happy to get $25 24-hours later because your show was so-so. You may sell that book in a package deal where you know you'll make some profit from the other 3 books, so selling that one at cost isn't the end of the world. You may have bought 4 copies and it's okay if you don't break the bank on one of them. You may be selling it to a friend and not worrying about making a lot.

Sundays aren't terrible.

Or you may end up giving some local dork several copies of NFL SuperPro for free. :cloud9:

Sundays aren't terrible.

Or you may end up giving some local dork several copies of NFL SuperPro for free. :cloud9:

Even though I'm not in Chicago anymore, we'll always have NFL SuperPro, Logan.

That's the conclusion I have come to also. There is a Con an hour away I'll hit on Saturday morning and hopefully I can make it to Cincinnati another year.

Hopefully the Reds or Bengals are in town and you can take in a game. We went to Covington KY a couple years back and really like Cincy. Skyline Chili was okay.

Buying books on Sunday is my jam. Love lowballin', especially smaller dealers (who may not be doing another show locally soon). Break out the cash in hand when making your offer, exact change, make sure they can see it, as many of the bills as possible.

Yes, it probably doesn't work on mega keys, but try it on a bunch of box comics or some high grade cool but non-key graded comics. If they' have that random CGC 9.8 at a few shows with no interest, you might hit for low and they live with getting their money back.

Sundays aren't terrible.

Even though I'm not in Chicago anymore, we'll always have NFL SuperPro, Logan.

:taptaptap:

so there will be two days for people to buy up all the hot or underpriced or gradable books

don't forget all the dealers that will get the best books/deals before the show even opens.

I hate this about shows. Last Cal Comic Con (Yorba Linda) show I went to I had high hopes of finally finding a nice WWBN32 raw book. Some how there was a dispute over a dealer having a space there. He ended up not setting up but took advantage of being able to be there early and bought all the decent wwbn32 copies they had there before the show opened. Even caught up to said dealer at the next show LBCE just to try to buy the ones he bought and of course he couldn't find them. Frusterated I've pretty much given up on that book.

To the OP I would say go with your instincts. If you having enough buying cash and you think it might be worth your while, Go for it!

There's always books to find. At any hour, any day.

It just depends on how much you are willing to work for it (get up early, drive, get on your knees :shy: etc)

Come on Hector - you know I don't go looking thru boxes on the floor. Too much effort getting back up.

so there will be two days for people to buy up all the hot or underpriced or gradable books

don't forget all the dealers that will get the best books/deals before the show even opens.

I hate this about shows. Last Cal Comic Con (Yorba Linda) show I went to I had high hopes of finally finding a nice WWBN32 raw book. Some how there was a dispute over a dealer having a space there. He ended up not setting up but took advantage of being able to be there early and bought all the decent wwbn32 copies they had there before the show opened. Even caught up to said dealer at the next show LBCE just to try to buy the ones he bought and of course he couldn't find them. Frusterated I've pretty much given up on that book.

To the OP I would say go with your instincts. If you having enough buying cash and you think it might be worth your while, Go for it!

This is easy to fix, just pay what it costs to become a dealer and get in on the action. Or get a pass from a dealer you know. Problem solved.

There's always books to find. At any hour, any day.

It just depends on how much you are willing to work for it (get up early, drive, get on your knees :shy: etc)

Come on Hector - you know I don't go looking thru boxes on the floor. Too much effort getting back up.

If Greggy is willing to get on his knees to get sweet books, then anyone can :banana:

This is easy to fix, just pay what it costs to become a dealer and get in on the action. Or get a pass from a dealer you know. Problem solved.

I might have to go this route pretty soon. Good/fair deals are getting harder to come by.

Good/fair deals are getting harder to come by.

It's the same everywhere, though and not just something that happens at shows.

I used to go to shows and bring home a decent stack from nearly every show. Now there are shows I go to where I bring home a small handful.