• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Marc Lasry Collection

62 posts in this topic

That collection is insane. Why are so many covers cleaned? If he did it, he unfortunately cost himself at least 100K+ in value.

Depends on how the marketplace perceives these "new" conserved grades, but I believe it's going to be a lot more than just $100K. (shrug)

A few years ago, all of these conserved books would have been PLOD's with a percentage loss of 60% to 80% of their unrestored value. I am absolutely surprised at the sheer amount of work that CGC allows to be done to a book and yet still retained a blue Conserved label. hm

Looks like Lasry was smart to wait until CGC came up with their Conserved labels

Seems like a weird way to sell such a collection. Wouldn't it be better to pace it out a bit?

+1

I would certainly hate to be a consignor of any books on the next round of major auctions at any of the auction houses as this collection is just going to suck a lot of money out of the marketplace. :censored:

In fact, I believe Lasry himself will not end up getting top dollar on many of his books as so many of them are going to be overlooked with potential bidders not being able to focus in on all of the books they might otherwise be interested in. doh!

There could be a lot of potential overlooked bargains out there. I still remember being able to snag a really nice looking copy of the super rare Green Lantern 30 for just a couple of hundred dollars when HA put up the Church run of GL books. I guess it was like a dandelion lost amongst the roses. :cloud9::takeit:

I would certainly hate to be a consignor of any books on the next round of major auctions at any of the auction houses as this collection is just going to suck a lot of money out of the marketplace. :censored:

Yeah, especially DCs as they comprise the bulk of the current Metro listing (although there's a nice Hulk 1 in there :cloud9: ).

Overall, I wonder what the effect of one billionaire hedge fund manager turning from comic buyer to comic seller will be...are we reaching Peak Comic? :eek:

Looks like some books have already been cherry picked out.

hm

Yes, it's pretty obvious from what I am seeing here. :mad:

It looks like some sly and lucky collector got in there and pulled out all of the meaty HTF Fox and Centaur books, leaving all of the skin & bones and easy to find DC's and Marvels for the rest of us losers to buy. lol

:jokealert:

Pretty amazing and comprehensive collection here and it looks like CC is not yet finished loading all of the books as they are only up to the S's now.

Batman 1 and Wonder Woman 1 are both jaw dropping!

Not according to the following comments from some of the boardies in the other thread, who says the CGC 8.5 graded Billy Wright Copy looks much more than just 0.5 points better than this Larson copy:

+111111111

In looking at the 2 books, I would be in full agreement with their assessment that the BW copy is visually superior.

Of course, it could just be a case of the BW copy being undergraded at only a 8.5. (shrug)

Batman 1 and Wonder Woman 1 are both jaw dropping!

Not according to the following comments from some of the boardies in the other thread, who says the CGC 8.5 graded Billy Wright Copy looks much more than just 0.5 points better than this Larson copy:

+111111111

In looking at the 2 books, I would be in full agreement with their assessment that the BW copy is visually superior.

Of course, it could just be a case of the BW copy being undergraded at only a 8.5. (shrug)

The Larson pedigree always did seem to get a slightly more favorable pass with foxing simply because that is one of the defining features of that particular pedigree (and also one of the reasons that page quality is so good as it's my experience that slight foxing and white pages seem to go hand in hand for whatever reason). The D copies are another ped that comes to mind.

The 8.5 does look accurately graded from what I can see, as well.

wow, I guess he's got dough :insane:

Marc Lasry is a billionaire Moroccan-born American hedge fund manager. He is the co-founder and chief executive officer of Avenue Capital Group and the co-owner of the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks. Wikipedia

You forgot to add that in the Personal Life Section, it goes on to state that "Lasry's hobbies include basketball, tennis, and comics." (thumbs u

Larson bat 1...pretty cool

Back in the day I inquired with Joe Tricarchi about the book, but he said he was saving it for his daughter's college fund and I never followed-up.

Any idea when Lasry might have picked up this Larson copy of Bat 1? ???

Looks like he is a long term collector who has probably been in the marketplace for close to a few decades by now. Looks like a significant portion of his collection was purchased back in the days of raw comics collecting prior to the advent of graded comics. hm

Definitely no quickie flash in the pan big money collector like Jay Parrino or Gary Keller who didn't hold onto their books very long and lost big time money on them as a result. Looks like Lasry is going to do okay as he probably quietly brought most of his books early on in the game, without all of the flash and glam that Parrino and Keller experienced. (thumbs u

It appears Mr. Lasry may be in financial trouble and needs to liquidate.

"Amid a negative performance and a shift to funds with longer-term investor commitments, the distressed-investing firm Avenue Capital Group is closing its original hedge fund, Avenue Investments, and returning money to the fund's investors."

CNBC -- Nov. 11, 2015

"A month after we first noted the major redemptions at Avenue Capital Group's credit fund (note this is a different fund from Third Avenue), and just one trading day after CEO Marc Lasry strolled arrogantly on to CNBC and told the public that "I don't think it's a time to panic, I think it's actually a time where you've got opportunities out there," Morningstar reports the Avenue Credit Strategies Fund has failed to report asset levels since about mid-December."

"And so another one bites the dust and the forced expulsion of assets into an already illqiuid market continues (unless, like Third Avenue, the SEC grants them exemption from providing liquidity to their clients - the moms-and-pops of America - who were forced by Fed repression into these risky assets, only to eat the losses on the way out)"

"The only question is whether Lasry, who is a close personal friend of the Clintons - recall Chelsea Clinton launched her "career' by working as an "analyst" at the very same Avenue Capital in the mid-2000s - and who was slated to become US ambassador to France until his ties to a shady poker ring were exposed in 2013, will use his executive privilege and request special treatment by the former, and soon future, first family. "

Zerohedge -- Jan. 11, 2016

103156916-RTXS6LW.530x298.jpg

Collecting comics is a cheap hobby for billionaires. Could this be a reason for some high sales prices?

From a 2013 Reuters article:

Married with five children, Lasry, who is an avid collector of old comic books, has an estimated net worth of $1.4 billion according to Forbes. In a November video interview with Reuters, Lasry said collecting comic books is cheaper than collecting rare art - favored by most other hedge fund managers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lasry-france-hedgefunds-idUSBRE92E14J20130315