• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimmed TTA 90?

17 posts in this topic

Hey all,i dont have a scan yet, but give me time. I got in the mail today a nice vf+ to vf/nm TTA 90. Very nice looking book with good colors 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif and all that. I would not have noticed this, but as i had stacked the TTA 90 ontop of a TTA 95, i noticed that the book was the same width on the top part of the book. However, the bottom of the book was off by a good 1/16 of an inch off at the bottom. Without having a scan is it uncommon for books to be off of square from top to bottom? I have seen examples in the OGG where the book has been miscut from left to right.

Ill try to get a scan up by tomorrow. Ask me questions as I dont really know how else to describe it.

It is about 6 3/4 at the top and 6 5/8 at the bottom.

Tales to Astonish are among the worst Quality of Production books I've seen from 1964-1968.

It's probably juat a bad QP job. tongue.gif

Hey all,i dont have a scan yet, but give me time. I got in the mail today a nice vf+ to vf/nm TTA 90. Very nice looking book with good colors 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif and all that. I would not have noticed this, but as i had stacked the TTA 90 ontop of a TTA 95, i noticed that the book was the same width on the top part of the book. However, the bottom of the book was off by a good 1/16 of an inch off at the bottom. Without having a scan is it uncommon for books to be off of square from top to bottom? I have seen examples in the OGG where the book has been miscut from left to right.

Ill try to get a scan up by tomorrow. Ask me questions as I dont really know how else to describe it.

It is about 6 3/4 at the top and 6 5/8 at the bottom.

I have owned two 9.4 copies of TTA #90 that were in blue label CGC slabs and both of them had exactly the same slanted right miscut that you are describing. That is VERY common for Marvels from that era, and particularly on that book. My Sgt. Fury #50 (from about the same timeframe) is off by a full 1/4 inch at the bottom.

I would consider it less likely that such a book were trimmed because a trimmer would try to straighten out the leading edge to make it perfectly perpendicular to the top and bottom edges.

So my short answer is no, that is not evidence of trimming. It is evidence of a common slanted miscut.

My nice TtA 93 has that miscut too. frown.gif

Yeah, a 1/16th inch miscut Marvel from that era is about as good as it gets! 27_laughing.gif If you only have a 1/16th inch miscut, thank your lucky stars. cloud9.gif

After all, you could get a monstrosity like THIS:

sgt50full.jpg

893whatthe.gif MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!!!