• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Coupons - Do they cause the sales date to be skewed?

5 posts in this topic

eBay coupons are great. I use them whenever they get posted here if I already haven't seen it myself. The last time I used one I purchased a modern that was slabbed. I wouldn't have purchased it unless the eBay coupon was a part of the purchase. Got me to think and ask -

Is the sales data skewed on moderns/lower priced books by the eBay coupons? Are the purchases that might be out of the norm because of coupons and how does that effect the FMV of a book? Heck, maybe it doesn't effect it at all.

The data is skewed already.

I have set "GPA highs" on books simply because free shipping is included in the price and the price reflects that fact.

If a book is normally $100 I will list it for $110 free shipping.

Someone pops the BIN

New GPA High

$110

It definitely helps sell mid priced books. People seem to make reasonable offers knowing the discount makes it a steal. I came back with a slightly higher price on one of my books and the guys said he couldn't take it since the coupon has expired.

Discounts and or ebay bucks are earned incentives and are not extended to everyone so they can actually be factored into the sale. If I buy a $1000 book and earn $100 kick back/incentive/ebay bucks, well I earned it, deserve it. To me its not skewing the GPA.

Discounts and or ebay bucks are earned incentives and are not extended to everyone so they can actually be factored into the sale. If I buy a $1000 book and earn $100 kick back/incentive/ebay bucks, well I earned it, deserve it. To me its not skewing the GPA.

I echo this.

What people simply need to get out of their head is price guides or pricing sites being some definitive pricing model.

Think of a CGC 8.0 book that has UGG eye appeal that sells for $1,000 and a CGC 8.0 Stunner that sells for $1,200.

What is the value of a CGC 8.0 for that book? (shrug)

It's all relative and ultimately the price of a book is going to be a watermark where the tide changes daily. In my opinion even if this was considered a "skew" it would be not worth the time of worry.

- bounty