• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #5

21 posts in this topic

So there's a seller that is advertising this Amazing Spider-Man #5 as fine condition. When I messaged him about the grade he seems certain that it will come back from the cgc a fine. Now isn't a fine considered in the 5-6 range? I will be seeing the comic in person on Wednesday before I buy it, but I do not know how to grade a comic and therefore can not tell if he is telling the truth or not. Compared to what else I've seen on ebay, this doesn't seem like it will actually come back a 5 or 6. Am I wrong? Does anyone think it could come back graded as a fine? I apologize for no scans, but since I do not have the comic I can only show you what the seller uploaded. I will appreciate any and all input on the comic. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20161003-185135_zpsqld2vzva.png

20161003_204707_zpssuoxx4dl.png

Screenshot_20161003-185141_zps01jzkspa.png

Screenshot_20161003-185146_zps7uzg7pyn.png

Not a 5.0 IMO from what I can see in the pics. A fine is a 6.0.

Significant chipping, and major creasing on the cover might even have tear by spidey's chest and arm. Many color breaks, spine is very rough looks like a partial split towars the bottom quarter.

Inside does not look bad but you need to go page by page. Not a great pic of the back cover as the spine is cut off.

Just too many defects for a 5.0 or even a 4.0. Plus who knows about possible resto on the book.

If I were in your shoes I'd stick to buying a low grade slab.

this looks to be a 4.0 but I will say it is a 3.5 for what I can't really see in the photo shown.

Don't buy it.

As others have said, buy a CGC graded book, buy the best you can afford, then take it with you to get it signed.

Not a 5.0 IMO from what I can see in the pics. A fine is a 6.0.

Significant chipping, and major creasing on the cover might even have tear by spidey's chest and arm. Many color breaks, spine is very rough looks like a partial split towars the bottom quarter.

Inside does not look bad but you need to go page by page. Not a great pic of the back cover as the spine is cut off.

Just too many defects for a 5.0 or even a 4.0. Plus who knows about possible resto on the book.

If I were in your shoes I'd stick to buying a low grade slab.

Yeah the first thing I asked the seller was about those marks on spider-man. to me they look like they could be puncture marks. i asked for more pictures and an explanation of what exactly that is. of course the seller refused to send more photos and simply said that they're not holes and his pictures are perfectly clear. I even asked him how he came up with the grade of fine. he said that a simple eye examination of it shows its a fine to him. I'll attach pictures of the bulk of our conversation. It seems that he is just willing to make up a higher grade in an attempt to sell it to me. He also doesn't seem very friendly through the messages. What do you guys think?

20161003_230904_zpsgtanzyc3.png

20161003_230942_zpszqvqd1g3.png

20161003_230819_zpsngzcqzft.png

20161003_230722_zpsh813esnh.png

I don't think it would even get the 4.0 based on first pic alone (shows lots of surface wear and crinkles).

Fine copies are out there - this one is not it, imo.

Here's an ebay copy at 400 that calls itself a "F- 5.5" and I think it's at least a FN 6.0, possibly a bit better. Almost twice as nice as this guy's copy which I'd estimate might at best get a 3.5 (chips top right and bottom left, etc.).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-5-Fine-Minus-Fine-5-5-/142130412956?hash=item2117a1fd9c:g:oj4AAOSw4shX6c7N

I don't think it would even get the 4.0 based on first pic alone (shows lots of surface wear and crinkles).

Here's an ebay copy at 400 that calls itself a "F- 5.5" and I think it's at least a FN 6.0, possibly a bit better. Almost twice as nice as this guy's copy which I'd estimate might at best get a 3.5 (chips top right and bottom left, etc.).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-5-Fine-Minus-Fine-5-5-/142130412956?hash=item2117a1fd9c:g:oj4AAOSw4shX6c7N

That one does look very nice. Does anyone else also think that the comic on the ebay link above will come back a fine or higer?

Good question, I think it's an authentic date stamp, and as far as I've seen CGC will NOT make a note of the arrival/date stamp on the label.

This is a big book you are buying, and although it's an early Spidey it's not a particular key for any reason.

Even though I gave you the link, I don't think you should just buy this book today ! [unless you really like something about it.]

More copies will come along within your budget - this book is probably not going to just take off to the sky - so unless you are in a hurry, and impatient to complete your run (or whatever you're putting together) you should keep your eyes open here on the Sales Only forum and on ebay for a copy that meets your desires. I came here in May and since then I bought ASM 2 through 14 (although I already had 3, 4 and 5) the #9 was the last issue I picked up, I got it in late August. My point: there'll be more FN copies available for sale in the coming months.

My desire is to have Stan Lee sign a comic this weekend at comic con. I did buy a book but the covers were detached (which I was not notified about). That is why I am in a rush to get a replacement because I am literally out of time. I picked ASM 5 because besides the obvious spider-man on it, I also really like Dr. Doom, so it was a great combo in my eyes. You mentioned comics taking off to the sky. What other early spidey comics are there that are around $400 that would take off?

Right, forgot about the con !

It's a good idea to wait to buy something at the Con, but I understand your counter-point that it would also be risky to wait.

There are a lot of signed SS books with Stan's sig already on, I would buy one of those with existing sig. to be safe. But again, I understand, that's not what you want.

As for early Spidermans in the $400 range that might have a lot of upside in the future - good question - I'm not good with crystal ball, but I can remind you that first appearance of villains have taken off with the movie mania - so ASM 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 have all seen disproportionately strong moves up (they increased in demand more than the books around them did). I think 13, 14 and 15 have also jumped substantially at one time or another, but could be wrong (#14 was long ago).

Maybe the first Scorpion appearance in #20? It's always been popular, but I don't think it's ever 'taken off'. GPA says:

7.0 around $325 (avg 12 mos.) to 375 (recent sales)

7.5 around $467 (avg 12 mos.) to 483

Or maybe #33, which has lots of copies around, but high grade copies are cherished, and it's the conclusion of one of the all time great (and most popular) storylines.

Do you think that there would even be vendors at the con that would be selling these early spider-man books? And without charging a ridiculous amount? I always see this one vendor every year at comic con selling old already cgc'd comics for thousands of dollars. I fear that I would only find more people like that if I looked on the show floor for a comic. Have you had any experience with buying your old comics at a convention?

Which con?

To be honest, I'm a bad guy to ask.

I got lucky at the only con I attended in 30 years.

Thanks to a dealer THB on this board who was at the con, I got a phone call that there was a collector selling Spiderman 2, 13 and 14 (just some guy walking around the con who brought comics with him). I ended up buying all that from him and a lot more later (he drove out to San Ant. from Houston, it was the Texas Comic Con around July).

If I had to give an answer, I'd say you have a better than 50/50 chance of finding a dealer who will give you what you think is a fair market price.

You are clearly not trying to get a book for deep discount. You seem ready to pay market or slight discount and probably if you make a fair offer to more than half the dealers, you can find a book that will fit your needs. Depends on the con, though, a lot of the sellers these days are selling toys and clothes and swords etc.

Since you're nervous about whether you will find book, possibly you could find a dealer here on the board who will be at the show who has something you can work with.

Maybe if you posted a Want To Buy (WTB forum) thread and mention "want to meet at NYCC" letting them know what book and how much and confirm they'll be at the show.

Also check the thread you made in General, I think last guy who replied, Matt, might know something.

Do you think that there would even be vendors at the con that would be selling these early spider-man books? And without charging a ridiculous amount? I always see this one vendor every year at comic con selling old already cgc'd comics for thousands of dollars. I fear that I would only find more people like that if I looked on the show floor for a comic. Have you had any experience with buying your old comics at a convention?

Contact "Gator aka Rick" - see his "ask Gator" thread in the Gold forum. He'll hook you up. I think I read he's going to NYCC.

Cheers

That one does look very nice. Does anyone else also think that the comic on the ebay link above will come back a fine or higer?

that one looks more accurate to the grade and a very nice copy. Date stamp will be included in the grading process so shouldn't drop it any lower if memory serves me as acceptable flaws

Right, forgot about the con !

It's a good idea to wait to buy something at the Con, but I understand your counter-point that it would also be risky to wait.

There are a lot of signed SS books with Stan's sig already on, I would buy one of those with existing sig. to be safe. But again, I understand, that's not what you want.

As for early Spidermans in the $400 range that might have a lot of upside in the future - good question - I'm not good with crystal ball, but I can remind you that first appearance of villains have taken off with the movie mania - so ASM 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 have all seen disproportionately strong moves up (they increased in demand more than the books around them did). I think 13, 14 and 15 have also jumped substantially at one time or another, but could be wrong (#14 was long ago).

Maybe the first Scorpion appearance in #20? It's always been popular, but I don't think it's ever 'taken off'. GPA says:

7.0 around $325 (avg 12 mos.) to 375 (recent sales)

7.5 around $467 (avg 12 mos.) to 483

Or maybe #33, which has lots of copies around, but high grade copies are cherished, and it's the conclusion of one of the all time great (and most popular) storylines.

If I were to get Stan to sign a book, it would be #33 for sure. My favorite Spidey story hands down. :headbang: