• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman New 52

18 posts in this topic

I picked these up this past weekend at a local antique shop. Based on comments I have seen in these forums, it is a well received series. Any suggestions on a particular story line I should read before I decide whether or not to put together a complete set? Thanks!

9lem3n.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. It's very much appreciated! I was just at my LCS and they still had some issues available. Between what I have pictured above and what I got from my LCS, I'm chasing 20 remaining issues not counting annuals.

I had the first five issues and sold them. When I did they got damaged in shipping and I refunded the buyer. So I made nothing on them. Really wish I had them back. Typical stupid decision that I make. Sigh.

Last year I decided to pick up the hardbacks. Glad I did. The Court of Owls and Joker stories are really good and these books made me realize just how good Capullo is. I remembered liking his art from Spawn but didn't have a full appreciation of him until his work on Batman.

Since I bought these books I've bought a bunch other Batman hardbacks and am getting the Batman related Rebirth books. I'm a full blown Batman fan now.

Yeah, I gave up part-way through it as well. I didn't have any clue where he was going with it and, frankly, didn't much care. Big letdown after Endgame. I don't need everything to be "epic", but it was just so far-fetched and meandering for such a long arc.

The break gave me a few months to save a little money and now Rebirth.... broke again.

Start at 1 and read to 52

Great idea! I picked up the entire run so I'll get started. If this turns me into a Batman fan then what next? Batman Rebirth or All-Star Batman if you had to choose just one?

Well Batman started slow and there were complaints about the new characters Tom King introduced, but after the current monster men crossover arc is over, issue #9 starts a new storyline with a badass villain and I am expecting it to pay dividends for all the buildup from the first arc. I think this one is a slow burn but worth picking up.

All-Star is okay too, the art by John Romita Jr. kind of turns me off but if you're just interested in the story then you can't really go wrong. Interesting character development with Alfred and Duke, not sure where it's going yet though.

If I had to choose one I'd say stick with Batman.

I'm one of the few I guess that was not really too taken in by this series.

I started reading it a few months back in TPB. I feel the same. As much buzz as it's received, I was "expecting more". It's been decent, but not in the same class as "The Long Halloween", for example.

I just finished the 4th trade last night. It was the "best" of the 4 that I've read.

I'm one of the few I guess that was not really too taken in by this series.

Nah, me neither. I mean, The Court of Owls stuff was all fantastic(And honestly, the best Batman story in quite some time), but by the time it wrapped up the Dr. Death story and moved into that Riddler stuff, I dropped the book. Just wasn't feeling it anymore.