• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

long term storage

11 posts in this topic

anyone know any decent websites that discuss this or have what they think is a real good system for protection against atmosphere, gravity and paper violability?

Anyone know anyone using cedar boxes?

anyone know any decent websites that discuss this or have what they think is a real good system for protection against atmosphere, gravity and paper violability?

My books are kept in a vacuum chamber suspended in a magnetic field to keep the harmful effects of gravity at bay.

My books are kept in a vacuum chamber suspended in a magnetic field to keep the harmful effects of gravity at bay.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif When i first read that i thought you said Vacuum Cleaner. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif That would be awesome.

Go to Tracey Heft's website and check out his articles on conservation. There are quite a few of them there on these topics, including one on cedar boxes. You have to purchase the articles, but they are worth it.

www.eclipsepaper.com

Go to Tracey Heft's website and check out his articles on conservation. There are quite a few of them there on these topics, including one on cedar boxes. You have to purchase the articles, but they are worth it.

www.eclipsepaper.com

Also, eight of his "Bag, Board, and Box" columns for CBM are available via the Google usenet archive, as described in this post from 11/2003.

Thanks for the tip on the anti magnetic field. I can afford to have some custom cedar cabinets made but i am not sure I can swing the anti magnetic field and didn't realize magnetism had to do with gravity. I am not sure on the value of the vaccuum wouldn't it be better to have a pressureized inert gas like helium rather than a vaccuum? I'd be concerned about the lack of any pressure at all causing the paper to loose cohesiveness over time and your books needing to be pressed before you could sell them. I always thought gravity was a function of mass and density not polarized FE but, I was never Mr Science. You'll have to let me know how that turns out.

Thanks for the links they are helpful. Hell, any information is helpful. I am switching too/using mylar on everything now whether it's newer [#@$%!!!] or older it isn't that much more money for a lifetime bag. I just want to preserve the condition they are in today as best I am able. I had a number of books in polybags for 15 plus yrs age signifigantly from when I last stopped collecting in the early 90s and put them away. Some of the unbagged books that were tight in the comic boxes actually faired better than a lot of books poly bagged with white bought in the 80s cardboard backs. Many of the bagged books yellowed worse overall, many of the books with boardshad stained back covers worse than those without boards but bagged. So, I have a reason I am being a bit anal about storage. I learned polybags really do suck and the backing boards of 20 yrs ago might of saved a book from spine lines but did nothing good when interacting with the back cover. Thanks again for those that gave some positive feedback. Anyone else have books that have been bagged and boarded a long time? Maybe you ought to take a look at them and re access how you store them.

Thanks for the tip on the anti magnetic field. I can afford to have some custom cedar cabinets made but i am not sure I can swing the anti magnetic field and didn't realize magnetism had to do with gravity. I am not sure on the value of the vaccuum wouldn't it be better to have a pressureized inert gas like helium rather than a vaccuum?

NITROGEN !!! thumbsup2.gif

I'd be concerned about the lack of any pressure at all causing the paper to loose cohesiveness over time and your books needing to be pressed before you could sell them. I always thought gravity was a function of mass and density not polarized FE but, I was never Mr Science. You'll have to let me know how that turns out.

EPISODE 243 AIRED AUGUST 17, 1973, featuring the now famous,

"FIRST BLACK HOLE ON A PLANET !" demonstration.

Thanks for the links they are helpful. Hell, any information is helpful. I am switching too/using mylar on everything now whether it's newer [#@$%!!!] or older it isn't that much more money for a lifetime bag. I just want to preserve the condition they are in today as best I am able. I had a number of books in polybags for 15 plus yrs age signifigantly from when I last stopped collecting in the early 90s and put them away. Some of the unbagged books that were tight in the comic boxes actually faired better than a lot of books poly bagged with white bought in the 80s cardboard backs. Many of the bagged books yellowed worse overall, many of the books with boardshad stained back covers worse than those without boards but bagged. So, I have a reason I am being a bit anal about storage. I learned polybags really do suck and the backing boards of 20 yrs ago might of saved a book from spine lines but did nothing good when interacting with the back cover. Thanks again for those that gave some positive feedback. Anyone else have books that have been bagged and boarded a long time? Maybe you ought to take a look at them and re access how you store them.

I can testify to the above comments. I'm currently rebagging a long box a

week of books that were stashed when our comic shop was open some

15 plus years ago now. The nut-sac wrinkles on the cheap bargin bags

I snagged out of North Carolina back then are seriously bizarre.

I bought whatever Capital was selling then, but got a great deal on

2mil polypro bags.

Longboxes have always been stored in a safe dry cool enviornment,

but the yellowing and oxidation on those boards is sometimes VERY

intimidating.