• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

Top 5 Marvel SA keys  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Top 5 Marvel SA keys

71 posts in this topic

don't see how anyone who has actually READ JIM 83 could bring themselves to vote for it. It would probably win my vote for Stupidest Marvel Silver Age Key.

Pretty much, most of the early SA stories are very weak. I've got the first three Spidey Masterworks and they are lame (IMO). Of course that doesn't mean I don't enjoy collecting them and remembering the thrill of reading them as a kid. I also thought the first Superman movie was great, but it's hard to watch now.

My last point with Spidey #1.

As someone who has collected for over 2 and half decades, I can honestly say, Spidey #1 was never a book that I greatly desired. On the other hand, I've always wanted copies of TOS #39 and JIM #83. That's just me. grin.gif

don't see how anyone who has actually READ JIM 83 could bring themselves to vote for it. It would probably win my vote for Stupidest Marvel Silver Age Key.

Pretty much, most of the early SA stories are very weak. I've got the first three Spidey Masterworks and they are lame (IMO). Of course that doesn't mean I don't enjoy collecting them and remembering the thrill of reading them as a kid. I also thought the first Superman movie was great, but it's hard to watch now.

My last point with Spidey #1.

As someone who has collected for over 2 and half decades, I can honestly say, Spidey #1 was never a book that I greatly desired. On the other hand, I've always wanted copies of TOS #39 and JIM #83. That's just me. grin.gif

screwy.gif

Here's my top 5:

FF 1,

AF 15

X-Men 1

JIM 83

TOS 39

I' not a huge Hulk fan, and he only lasted 6 issues for a reason. X-Men 1 over ASM 1 because Spidey was already introduced 7 months earlier in AF 15 and as Filosa indicates, ASM 1 didn't add anything. X-Men 1 features the most popular group in Marvel's history plus the appearance of probably Marvel's second greatest villain. Thor and IM have to be up there as they've been Marvel mainstays.

I could be wrong, but it's just an opinion. I didn't even give it much thought, just a knee-jerk reaction. Upon reflection this could probably change but 1 and 2 are quite obvious.

ASM 1 didn't add anything.

Come on, Doug! I thought you were a Spider-Man dude!!! J. Jonah Jameson's first appearance means nothing? He's one of the most important people in Spidey's mythos. He's practically Spidey's "Dr. Doom," except that he's goofier and not as shrewd (which fits with the tone of Spidey's title). But he's made more trouble for Spidey with his Spider-Slayers and by creating the Scorpion and the Fly and others, and has appeared in more issues than any other Spidey villain in history.

And then there's the Chameleon's first appearance. True, he's not Spidey's biggest foe ever, but he's a mainstay Spidey villain.

IMO J. Jonah Jameson is the greatest superhero comic book character without any super powers.

Anyone disagree?

poke2.gif

IMO J. Jonah Jameson is the greatest superhero comic book character without any super powers.

Anyone disagree?

poke2.gif

Batman foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

Topic:

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

Besides I consider "super" marshal arts skills to be super powers.

poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

Anyone disagree?

poke2.gif

Batman foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

Topic:

Top 5 Marvel SA keys

Besides I consider "super" marshal arts skills to be super powers.

poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

You gotta specify!! hi.gif

Come on, Doug! I thought you were a Spider-Man dude!!! J. Jonah Jameson's first appearance means nothing? He's one of the most important people in Spidey's mythos. He's practically Spidey's "Dr. Doom," except that he's goofier and not as shrewd (which fits with the tone of Spidey's title). But he's made more trouble for Spidey with his Spider-Slayers and by creating the Scorpion and the Fly and others, and has appeared in more issues than any other Spidey villain in history.

And then there's the Chameleon's first appearance. True, he's not Spidey's biggest foe ever, but he's a mainstay Spidey villain.

Spidey Spidey Spidey Spidey... As the repetition implies, all of the things you mention are important to Spidey... not the Marvel Universe as a whole.

Spidey Spidey Spidey Spidey... As the repetition implies, all of the things you mention are important to Spidey... not the Marvel Universe as a whole.

Not much of a Miller Daredevil reader, are you? poke2.gif

Besides, Spidey Spidey Spidey is the biggest thing in the Marvel Universe. If it's important to Spidey Spidey Spidey, it's important to the Marvel Universe! sumo.gif

I tend to agree with what Doug is saying but because we are talking about Spider-Man, probably the most popular superhero period, I'd have to include it in the top 5 list. I left it off however because I'm not a huge, huge Spidey fan. I actually do not own a single SA ASM in a slabb.

Besides, Spidey Spidey Spidey is the biggest thing in the Marvel Universe. If it's important to Spidey Spidey Spidey, it's important to the Marvel Universe! sumo.gif

Unless, of course, you don't read any Spider-Man titles or really even like Spider-Man all that much. Then Spider-Man seems less like the biggest thing in the Marvel Universe and more like a separate segment that you don't pay any attention to.

Why not have the top five be all Spider-Man keys then? Thor has nothing to do with Spider-Man and the Green Goblin has plenty to do with him. We should swap out JIM 83 from the list and replace it with ASM 14. How about the first appearance of MJ's ankle? She's way more important to Spider-Man than Iron Man. The first appearance of MJ's ankle should be on the list ahead of TOS 39.

not to interrupt this lovely confab you two are having or nothin, but exactly who is the greatest non super-powered supporting character in comics?

JJJ is a pretty good start for a list, and Alfred and Lois Lane would have to be on there somewhere too

not to interrupt this lovely confab you two are having or nothin, but exactly who is the greatest non super-powered supporting character in comics?

JJJ is a pretty good start for a list, and Alfred and Lois Lane would have to be on there somewhere too

Rick Jones, any more questions? confused-smiley-013.gif

headbang.gif

so what's the new new take on the powers he demonstrated during the first Kree-Skrull war?

or was that just the Supreme Intelligence doing his bidness with RJ as a medium?

confused-smiley-013.gif

so what's the new new take on the powers he demonstrated during the first Kree-Skrull war?

or was that just the Supreme Intelligence doing his bidness with RJ as a medium?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Exactly! thumbsup2.gif

Unless, of course, you don't read any Spider-Man titles or really even like Spider-Man all that much. Then Spider-Man seems less like the biggest thing in the Marvel Universe and more like a separate segment that you don't pay any attention to.

Why not have the top five be all Spider-Man keys then? Thor has nothing to do with Spider-Man and the Green Goblin has plenty to do with him. We should swap out JIM 83 from the list and replace it with ASM 14. How about the first appearance of MJ's ankle? She's way more important to Spider-Man than Iron Man. The first appearance of MJ's ankle should be on the list ahead of TOS 39.

893applaud-thumb.gif YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Now you're picking up what I'm putting down. acclaim.gif