• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action 1....finally found!

63 posts in this topic

Bit hard to fake as you would have to age the b/w thin 1939 cover paper stock but easy to insert rusty staples to look aged then choose a coverless comic Action #15 (August, 1939) for the guts.

The covers are actually velox, not paper. It's why they remain so white even after close to eighty years.

Not sure if that would make them easier or harder to replicate.

The listing in OSPG 10 must have been considered inaccurate because the listing was removed in subsequent editions. If it was removed, the new discovery is one of a kind and the NG designation seems harsh.

They are throwing it in with the Double #2 so it cant be that great of a book. :makepoint: I would think sell the book by itself if its that rare and it should bring $$$$$$$$$$$$$ more than the #2 :screwy:

Kinda agree here. The DA2 is spectacular but to market the DA1 as a "tag along" seems strange!

Sell this rarity by itself.

This is really big news and finally dispels some of the falsehoods surrounding this book. It proves that the hooded figure cover below is most likely a fake, and since the contents of Double Action 1 is just the 9th to 16th wraps of Action 15, that eliminates the Superman and Zatara stories altogether and just includes the Marco Polo, Clip Carson and perhaps Tex Thomson stories which constitutes an incomplete book so the NG designation appears valid. This discovery also seems to indicate that Double Action 2 was indeed on the newsstands if only in limited areas, and not a Xmas present to staff as others have suggested in the past.

double%20action%201_zpsabdazaw7.jpg

Probably a dumb question but where is this cover art originally from?

This is really big news and finally dispels some of the falsehoods surrounding this book. It proves that the hooded figure cover below is most likely a fake, and since the contents of Double Action 1 is just the 9th to 16th wraps of Action 15, that eliminates the Superman and Zatara stories altogether and just includes the Marco Polo, Clip Carson and perhaps Tex Thomson stories which constitutes an incomplete book so the NG designation appears valid. This discovery also seems to indicate that Double Action 2 was indeed on the newsstands if only in limited areas, and not a Xmas present to staff as others have suggested in the past.

double%20action%201_zpsabdazaw7.jpg

Probably a dumb question but where is this cover art originally from?

Ian had Matt do 6 copys of what the book would have looked liked from what Ian told me when i got a copy. (shrug)

CGC has a policy of not grading ashcans, ostensibly because they can't tell if they are fake, so that would explain the NG. (This policy obviously does a disservice to Gary and Mark who own ashcans of established provenance.)

There is an old thread (one to three years old) that I recall wherein a poster mentioned that his buddy owned the Double Action 1, he identified the book as having this cover, and mentioned his buddy might be planning to sell soon (or so I recall). So I assume, that's this copy.

Here's the old thread I was referencing (from 2013):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6659354

And this was the key comment:

Earthshaker01

I asked the owner if he minded if I posted the pic and he said he was thinking about it. as soon as he gets back to me I will let you know. I will describe it for you. It is obviously b&W. No price int he cirlce where the price would go. The cover pic is a guy diving down under the water with a large shake coming up from the right hand side of the cover to attack him. The shark is sort of rolling so you can see most of his under side. It says November 1939 starting from the middle left of cover with the larger title above that.

I will look at the Grand Comic Data base to see if I see that cover from adventure comics of that era. I am unfamiliar with al the covers of that series but I will look and see if I see it. gimme a few and Ill get back to you guys.

Not sure why he is hesitant about letting me post pic, but it is his comic and I do respect and buy from him often, so I don't want to do anything to rock the boat so to speak.

Ahh that was easy it is a cover swipe from Adventure Comics #41.

Edited by Earthshaker01 (05/02/13 12:48 AM)

This comment by Earthshaker was also key:

So, who wants to see the Double Action Comics #1. Yes, it is an ashcan and yes I have seen it. There is only one copy around and I personally know the guy that owns it. Yes I have a picture of it, and of the #2 graded 9.0. I am almost relucant to post the pic as it seems almost a better left a myth or legend.

Quick story. The guy that owns it was a distributor in the 70's and came a cross the ashcan and the 5 #2's in a DC office. He got to keep the ashcan and he picked the best of the 5 copies of the #2. I won't say his name or where it is locat4ed other than it is in a safety deposit box, as one day I hope to buy it from the owner. I can confirm he did meet with Bob Overstreet and he did see it. Very few have laid eyes on it besides Bob, the owner and myself.

I will get the pic uploaded to my computer son and post it. This is no fake and you will see in the pic they are both completely real.