• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada Customs

83 posts in this topic

I apologize if this has been asked before (still getting used to the search function), but I will be getting a couple of CGC books (approx value $700 USD) shipped to Canada (Vancouver, BC) from the USA and was wondering:

Is USPS the best method? And is there any advantage to paying for Priority vs. Standard (I'm in no rush) other than price?

Are CGC comic books duty free?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Just getting back into comic collecting and have been finding the siren call of the Forum Only Selling Area tough to resist!

Hi,

Where in Canada are you?

I would use USPS, and it is worth it to pay for:

1. tracking

2. Signature

*3. Insurance

The books are already owned by you, so the duty should be on the grading costs only not the total value of the book.

*The issue is, if you insure for full value that value is what customs will calculate on.

The only differences you are paying for in regards to shipping costs is how long they are in transit.

Are you buying the books from the US?

If so, comic books are considered 'children's books' by the Canada Customs (I'd declare them as such) and they should charge you a 5% customs fee plus whatever additional brokerage chargers the shipping / broker will charge you.

The books are already owned by you, so the duty should be on the grading costs only not the total value of the book.

It wasn't clear to me that they were his own books he was getting back from CGC. If so, he should have filled out commercial invoices which prove he shipped the books out in the first place.

If you are buying the books from a USA seller, then you will have to pay HST on them before the post office will release them. USPS is the best way to get the US seller to ship old comics; the courier companies sometimes demand an arbitrary "brokers fee" for dealing with Canada Customs on your behalf.

Alternatively, I could have them shipped to the In/Out parcel in Point Roberts, USA (45 minute drive from my house).

Is there any advantage to personally driving (and declaring) the books through the border? other than postal fees of course.

Make a friend in Seattle and pick them up! ;-)

When you say, "make a friend," I picture something involving a 3D printer...

I have a friend in Anacortes and a cousin in Bellingham, but I don't think driving comics over the border will save me anything (other than postage). I would still declare the books and I'm sure the customs guy would nail me, whereas I believe sometimes the mail can sneak through without customs turning their greedy eye on it? Yes? No?

I have a friend in Anacortes and a cousin in Bellingham, but I don't think driving comics over the border will save me anything (other than postage). I would still declare the books and I'm sure the customs guy would nail me, whereas I believe sometimes the mail can sneak through without customs turning their greedy eye on it? Yes? No?

Yes, sometimes you can receive the package without having GST charged on it. However, depending on how it is sent, there will be a handling fee on it even with the postal service.

If you do declare the amount through Point Roberts, it's most like you will be charged the GST for it, as most people who go through there either get gas or pick up packages.

I've done the route many times. Drove over the border into Blaine to pick up my books. Return to Canada Customs booth, show the invoices. They can decide to let me go or pay duty fees.

This year I paid duty fees twice since. Still worth my time on road. Sometimes books go to my home in direct. Depends on its value.

Yes, sometimes you can receive the package without having GST charged on it. However, depending on how it is sent, there will be a handling fee on it even with the postal service.

If you do declare the amount through Point Roberts, it's most like you will be charged the GST for it, as most people who go through there either get gas or pick up packages.

Greggy, why do they charge full GST on them when it's supposed to be a flat 5% for Children's books?

I've done the route many times. Drove over the border into Blaine to pick up my books. Return to Canada Customs booth, show the invoices. They can decide to let me go or pay duty fees.

This year I paid duty fees twice since. Still worth my time on road. Sometimes books go to my home in direct. Depends on its value.

Bottom line. If you bring items into Canada purchased from the USA, you are only required to pay retail taxes on the items. This is provided the items were manufactured in the USA, Canada or Mexico (comic books apply here :). This is per the NAFTA agreement. In most cases when taking them over the border yourself, or using USPS they will even wave the taxes (13% HST if in Ontario) and you pay ZERO extra. However if you use a 'service' such as UPS (total rip off scammers), they will charge ridicules 'brokerage' fees. This is just a way of filling their pockets with profit and taking you for a total sucker. FedEx and DHL are not as bad but they play the same game too. AVOID them at all costs. Always specify and use USPS where possible or take the package over the border yourself or be prepared to get ripped off. Nuff said!

Greggy, why do they charge full GST on them when it's supposed to be a flat 5% for Children's books?

GST is 5%, you dimwit

As I mentioned in another post. If you declare - as you are required by law - the most you'll be charged with are the retail taxes. When you purchase online from a USA retailer you don't pay any taxes at that time anyways so you don't really loose out. It's all good!

Hi,

Where in Canada are you?

I would use USPS, and it is worth it to pay for:

1. tracking

2. Signature

*3. Insurance

*The issue is, if you insure for full value that value is what customs will calculate on.

Great advice, everyone, and much appreciated!

Re insurance: Do you always get it on USPS shipments and, if no, have you ever been burned?

Gonna chirp in here with my personal experience. I live in canada and get a LOT of books shipped to me from the USA.

Customs is very hit and miss. If the seller is kind enough to mark the box as a gift I don't normally have any issues. The odd time though, Customs will see that the description is comic books and tax me accordingly to the declared value.

The last box I had shipped to me was the first real nightmare I've had. Over 1000$ worth of slabs and raws. I know and trust the seller who is the best packer in the bizz but Canada Customs decided to open my box, route thru all the books, open the sandwiches and proceed to just throw them back in the box, charge me up the arse for duty and seal the box again.

Suffice it to say some slabs got damaged, and will need reholdering, some of the raws were damaged to the point they are worthless and i'm out $$

What can I do about it? Not a damn thing. Called, complained, spoke to superiors, basically customs can do whatever the hell they want. Just a matter of catching them on a good day I suppose.