• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada Customs

83 posts in this topic

Also this is really important! Buy books from a trusted seller and do NOT get the insurance. It's a total slush fund.

I had to deal with damaged during shipment books before. Canada post wants a reciept to show the value of each book. Kinda tough when you may have bought your ASM 50 back in 1969 and paid 12 cents for it! lol without a reciept they will not give you your declared value of the book making canada posts insurance a total slush fund and rip off.

I can't stress that enough!

I've done the route many times. Drove over the border into Blaine to pick up my books. Return to Canada Customs booth, show the invoices. They can decide to let me go or pay duty fees.

This year I paid duty fees twice since. Still worth my time on road. Sometimes books go to my home in direct. Depends on its value.

Bottom line. If you bring items into Canada purchased from the USA, you are only required to pay retail taxes on the items. This is provided the items were manufactured in the USA, Canada or Mexico (comic books apply here :). This is per the NAFTA agreement. In most cases when taking them over the border yourself, or using USPS they will even wave the taxes (13% HST if in Ontario) and you pay ZERO extra. However if you use a 'service' such as UPS (total rip off scammers), they will charge ridicules 'brokerage' fees. This is just a way of filling their pockets with profit and taking you for a total sucker. FedEx and DHL are not as bad but they play the same game too. AVOID them at all costs. Always specify and use USPS where possible or take the package over the border yourself or be prepared to get ripped off. Nuff said!

True, Canada post typically charge you on GST based on the value of items in a parcel. They didn't do all the time always. If you got one without their yellow/white forms sticked on it, you got lucky. It's a hit or miss. If your books is under $20-30 worth, oftentimes they don't charge you.

Ugh... never trust UPS. My last one from UPS 5 years ago and I had to go to Canada Customs to obtain a form to pay the duty fee. I acted as a broker myself to save myself some $. But it was a hassle fighting with UPS when I had shown that recipient from Customs. They demand I pay the full fee. I told them to go ahead call Canada Customs headquarters. They tried and gave up, handed me the parcel without paying. UPS really hate people when they become brokers themselves. Nowadays all couriers are playing the game.

I am going to sum up my experience with this recommendation.

Get it sent USPS if possible. In terms of additional handling and taxes they had the least charges per package on average.

All the other companies charge brokerage for delivering a package every delivery . UPS, fedex, and Dihl. I'm a little disgusted personally of some undisclosed charge at my door every time and most of it being a collection charge the courier is allowed to collect for itself, as if it wasn't their job anyway.

I have noticed that USPS delivery fees have jumped for border shipments. To me the price increase is not reflective of normal inflation but some collusion between the two nations for additional collection.

I will say that if you can have your packages well packed and declared $60 or less, you will likely never get additional fees. The actual shipping fee is unavoidable.

The last year or so, I've been getting hit with customs virtually every time.

When you do, you can keep the customs declaration paper and on the back, you can fill it out and send it in for a reimbursement. You need supporting documentation though (paypal print screen, ebay screen, invoice, etc).

Having said that, last time I tried it they sent me a letter back that says books (whether new OR used) that are being imported into Canada from the U.S. are subject to duty charges (unless you can prove they were yours to begin with and only wanted to get them graded). Essentially, if you bought a book, expect to pay duty. If you are getting them graded, keep receipts/cgc records and even pics of books. You can even go to one of the offices in advance to clear duty upon return (I've never done this).

Gonna chirp in here with my personal experience. I live in canada and get a LOT of books shipped to me from the USA.

Customs is very hit and miss. If the seller is kind enough to mark the box as a gift I don't normally have any issues. The odd time though, Customs will see that the description is comic books and tax me accordingly to the declared value.

The last box I had shipped to me was the first real nightmare I've had. Over 1000$ worth of slabs and raws. I know and trust the seller who is the best packer in the bizz but Canada Customs decided to open my box, route thru all the books, open the sandwiches and proceed to just throw them back in the box, charge me up the arse for duty and seal the box again.

Suffice it to say some slabs got damaged, and will need reholdering, some of the raws were damaged to the point they are worthless and i'm out $$

What can I do about it? Not a damn thing. Called, complained, spoke to superiors, basically customs can do whatever the hell they want. Just a matter of catching them on a good day I suppose.

Yikes . That sounds terrible. Reason why I only ship to United States. Too much of a potential headache for the seller and buyer.

Greggy can tell you the secret handshake that gets you off...

I need to learn this handshake.

:eek: The handshake that gets you off?

Greggy can tell you the secret handshake that gets you out of...

Probably a manly one. :sick:

Frick, I should have worded that differently. :tonofbricks:doh!

Greggy can tell you the secret handshake that gets you out of...

Probably a manly one. :sick:

Frick, I should have worded that differently. :tonofbricks:doh!

Many friendly visitors are headed your way :banana:

Thanks again to all the boardies both sides of the border for the great advice re: customs, duties, taxes, handshakes, etc.

And I will definitely have to keep an eye open in the Forum Only Selling Area for books already located in the Great Wet/White North (depends where you live - I'm getting soaked in Vancouver), as it sounds like there is a definite hometown discount any time the border can be avoided.

Vancouver customs is behind by like 4 weeks right now. Its been taking months for my items to get to me from China/HongKong/Taiwan. Really annoying. On top of this in part is because they are ripping apart every single package to get customs fees and really nailing down on that since all the other that happened this year and trying to make up money so getting stuff thru customs is really hard to do now as well.

I'm also in Vancouver - if this is coming back from CGC USPS isn't an option. They will only ship to you via UPS or FedEx. Choose Fedex. Here in Van, they are awesome to deal with and UPS doesn't give a *#%$. I have a friend who had used them lots with CGC (before Fedex was an option) and they continuously 'safe dropped' the package outside his basement suite apt ... despite sig required.

As well, CGC will post on the package that 'canadian goods being returned' it's entirely possible the customs agents won't see this and will still charge you customs. Just chat with the agent and have him call his customer service peeps. They'll eventually wave it.

PS. if this is not coming from CGC, def use USPS....and yeah, on a package that large, you will have to pay customs to Canada Post. Anything over $400 for me has been charged, almost guaranteed.