• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Listings Technical Help

11 posts in this topic

Thanks in advance to those people who are a lot more savvy than I.

I've recently been switched to the new listing format on eBay...right pain in the arse, but I digress.

Anyway, I use a bit of HTML in the body of the listing to get images and logos in there. So I go to an existing listing and selection 'Sell Similar'.

I do my usual editing for the new item and list it. I then go back in to do another and the HTML code has been changed. The following code has been added to the front of the code...

...and this has been added to the end...

Now, if I leave it in there, list a new item and then go to list a third, the code has been entered for a second time. After a few listings have been done, the front end of the code starts with this monstrosity...

...with this at the end...

Now, as far as I can tell, this doesn't have any effect on how the listing looks, but...

I used to cut and paste item information into the body of text under the Standard tab...issue information, grade comments, etc...and it come in fine.

Now, however, if I do it, it throws the whole text box into meltdown, bringing in different fonts and sizes. I can cut and paste it into the HTML version, but that means finding the appropriate line of code.

However...if I go into HTML and delete out all the HTML that has been added for no good reason, I then CAN cut and paste into regular text without any changes? ???

Why is this happening and is there any way to stop the unwanted code being inserted?

Talk to me, guys...like I was a simpleton, because I truly am when it comes to this sort of thing. :foryou:

They always have added that bit of HTML, at least as long as I can remember, it's not new, seems to be kind of an artifact.

What I do is just delete the extra lines, or I keep what I want on an online sticky or in word and just paste it over the old html each time.

Takes a few extra seconds, but it's no big deal.

Listing takes a lot longer than it did when we first started, so the HTML thing is just not so much.

Hey, Sha! :foryou:

That additional text has not been there until Tuesday, when I was switched to the new listing format....honest. My scan URL is usually the last line of the code, so I would have noticed the four hundred and thirty-two s following it.

And I've not changed my browser...still on Chrome...but now the cut and paste doesn't work. :cry:

This has been happening to me for a while, but I post listings from both Mac and PC, and with different OS within each so I've never bothered to try and pinpoint the exact cause. Depending on the amount I list, I'll either delete the extra HTML like Sharon does, or I'll paste all my listings into my email program where I can change it to "plain text". Pasting it from there eliminates the extra HTML.

I generally type my listings in Word; there's probably the same function to change it to plain text but I have no idea where it is in any of the versions I use.

If I leave the extra HTML when posting it doesn't always show up in the actual listing (cant' recall if it shows up when previewing) but I prefer it not to be there in case it should bog down any browsers.

Hey, Sha! :foryou:

That additional text has not been there until Tuesday, when I was switched to the new listing format....honest. My scan URL is usually the last line of the code, so I would have noticed the four hundred and thirty-two s following it.

And I've not changed my browser...still on Chrome...but now the cut and paste doesn't work. :cry:

I don't know what kind of listing format you have in England, but I've been stuck with this "new" one for years.

Now in the past, they did roll out changes differently depending on where you lived, etc, so that could be it.

I find that listing works better on Mozilla/Firefox, on Chrome the fonts and the lines get all mixed up, sometimes the font just plain looks like it overlaps, it's annoying.. Sometimes I just ignore the mess and use Chrome anyway, when I view it on Firefox (Mozilla) it's fine.

Years ago someone at eBay told me that the language was written for Firefox, not for Chrome, I had the same issues when trying to print labels on PP.

Try Mozilla/Firefox for the listing. Your cut and paste will work there. If it doesn't, do you remember the old dos commands? control c and control v>? those should work.

I've been looking at those strings of letters when I use HTIML (and I just use it to add pictures) for years.

It's not new Nick...it's just more wonderful eBay stuff. I'm sure a very computer language savy person can explain exactly why it happens, I just know it does and I work around it.

Yeah, I only got 'converted' this week to the new format...I believe we'll be getting colour TVs here in the UK soon. :wishluck:

I'm going to give it a go in Firefox and see if I can't get the problem eliminated there. Thanks, Sha! :foryou:

What about ice in your drinks;)?

:baiting:

I hope it helps, if it doesn't, let me know, I'll take another look;)

Yeah, I only got 'converted' this week to the new format...I believe we'll be getting colour TVs here in the UK soon. :wishluck:

I'm going to give it a go in Firefox and see if I can't get the problem eliminated there. Thanks, Sha! :foryou:

What about ice in your drinks;)?

:baiting:

I hope it helps, if it doesn't, let me know, I'll take another look;)

The only ice we've got is the stuff that sunk the Titanic. :/