• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly does marvel comics have to offer as of late.

35 posts in this topic

Just finished Wolverine #27 today. I just wanted to read through and see whats up, plus it has a cool cover. Millar's story seems pretty cool - love the ending smile.gif

That said, and there is no other way to say this, John Romita Jr. is a hack. That artwork is the sloppiest [#@$%!!!] I have seen since Don Heck in the 70s. It seriously detracts from the story, and I have a hard time believing this guy shares the same genes as the great John Romita Sr.

What happened to this guy? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think he's one of the best artists working today. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ditto. A hack? Come on. confused.gif

I stand by my statement. Pick up Wolverine #27. You will see blatantly scribbled shadow lines, forced perspectives that scream aloud, and generally poor scene set-up - to name a few. Granted some of this can be attributed to the inker, but I have seen these problems on other JRJr titles with other inkers as well.

It certainly doesn't help when you see a wonderful homage cover to Steranko by Greg Land, and a cool intro page piece also by Land, then flip to a 2-page spread straight from the Powerpuff TV show...

I stand by my statement. Pick up Wolverine #27. You will see blatantly scribbled shadow lines

For one, the specific technique is in the hands of the inker and secondly, and most importantly, that rough, sketchy inking is an actual style. It's intentional, not lazy or something else. The finishing that goes on over JR jr's pencils is intentionally energetic, which is one of the things that I most like about it.

forced perspectives that scream aloud

Can you give me a specific example, so when I look at it I can know what you're talking about? [edited to add: just because I'm curious. As much as I like it, I'm aware that JR jrs style isn't for everyone.]

As for comparing the guy to Land... I like Land well enough. He makes pretty pictures, but because of his method, his work is so stiff and lifeless compared to the energy and power of JR jr's work.

New Avengers is great, IMHO.

Wolverine is still a good read, especially Millar's arc.

MK Spidey was good with Millar at the helm as well.

MK4 is always a decent read.

Astonishing X is probably Marvel's best monthly series (if you'd call it monthly).

The Ultimate Galactus minis (Nightmare, Secret) are great.

Ultimates 2 is awesome.

And Ultimate FF is usually a good read as well.

Wow. I never thought I would read someone slam JRJR. I really dig his artwork. He has a style unlike anyone else. As for reads:

Supreme Power

Incredible Hulk

Daredevil

New Avengers

Amazing Spider-Man

Black Panther

Spider-Man

Ultimates 2

Ultimate X-Men

Ultimate Spider-Man

Strange

Powers

Ultimate FF

X-23

Uncanny X-Men

Astonishing X-Men

The Punisher

The Pulse

Supreme Power and Daredevil are really ahead of the pack though.

That said, and there is no other way to say this, John Romita Jr. is a hack. That artwork is the sloppiest [#@$%!!!] I have seen since Don Heck in the 70s. It seriously detracts from the story, and I have a hard time believing this guy shares the same genes as the great John Romita Sr.

What happened to this guy? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think he's one of the best artists working today. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ditto. A hack? Come on. confused.gif

He's a HACK, a H-A-C-K HACK HACK HACK. He is easily among the top 5 worst artists (and I use that term loosely) working in comics today, and I'm not sure I wouldn't put him at the top of the list considering the prodigious volume of bad work he produces. I have never been a big fan - in fact, I recall writing to Marvel circa 1983 or 1984 begging them to get Paul Smith back on Uncanny X-Men because this John Romita Jr. guy couldn't draw for 893censored-thumb.gif (my opinion of his '80s work has, however, grown more charitable with age - though I still find it to only be B+ quality work at best).

In previous posts regarding his run w/JMS on ASM, I pointed out specific panels and pages from specific issues highlighting just how god awful his work has become. Panels where a chimpanzee with a box of Crayolas could have done better. Weird, alien-like anatomies with bug-eyes and huge mouths taking up half of faces. Some people with practically no chins at all. And bizarre looking physiques - out of proportion with big heads and rail-thin arms on some of his female characters. Some of the characters look like glorified smiley-faces stuck on glorified stick figures. Is it even possible to draw Mary Jane any less attractive than he does (like a bobbing-head doll of an anorexic crack wh*re)? And where's the detail? It's like he drew an entire issue while stuck in traffic on the BQE on the way to work Wednesday morning. frustrated.gif

I'm largely unfamiliar with JRjr.'s work - except for his run on Spiderman 2099 around 10 years ago - and I thought that was pretty good - but of course he had Al Williamson inking his work, so how was it not going to look good.

I find neither Marvel nor DC seem to have a "house style" anymore. On one hand this allows for some great art by talents that probably would never have been allowed near one of their titles 20 years ago, but on the other there seems to be alot of stuff which looks like second rate "fan art". I suppose it's all better than the horrific "Image look" of the early 90s that, thankfully, even Image comics rarely have anymore.

I'm largely unfamiliar with JRjr.'s work - except for his run on Spiderman 2099 around 10 years ago - and I thought that was pretty good - but of course he had Al Williamson inking his work, so how was it not going to look good.

He's mostly got Klaus Janson inking him now, so that's not so much of a step down from Al Williamson.

He's mostly got Klaus Janson inking him now, so that's not so much of a step down from Al Williamson.

I have to admit Janson inking over JRJR has been a big step up from Hanna or whoever was inking him on ASM and the Hulk a couple of years ago.

I have to admit Janson inking over JRJR has been a big step up from Hanna or whoever was inking him on ASM and the Hulk a couple of years ago.

He's a loose, sketchy penciler, so the inker makes a big difference.

He is easily among the top 5 worst artists (and I use that term loosely) working in comics today, and I'm not sure I wouldn't put him at the top of the list considering the prodigious volume of bad work he produces.

- though I still find it to only be B+ quality work at best).

youll have to explain how both comments can be true. Unless you think all Marvel's artists would get at least an A? If hes the fifth worst, and stilla B+ wow, Marvel's got some great artists.

He is easily among the top 5 worst artists (and I use that term loosely) working in comics today, and I'm not sure I wouldn't put him at the top of the list considering the prodigious volume of bad work he produces.

- though I still find it to only be B+ quality work at best).

youll have to explain how both comments can be true. Unless you think all Marvel's artists would get at least an A? If hes the fifth worst, and stilla B+ wow, Marvel's got some great artists.

If you go back and re-read my post, you'll realize that the second comment was explicitly referring to his UXM and ASM work in the '80s and you'll be doing one of these things => foreheadslap.gif

I'm far from alone in bemoaning how this once above-average artist has sunk so low since then. Bad inking only explains so much of it.