• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly does marvel comics have to offer as of late.

35 posts in this topic

I'd say look at some Mark Millar stuff, such as The Ultimates, and Wolverine. His Marvel Knights Spiderman run just ended, which was sort of lagging towards the end, but the first half was great.

I'd also suggest Warren Ellis' Ultimate Nightmare and Ultimate Secret.

A few of the MAX series such as Supreme Power, and I've heard good things about The Punisher as well.

Bendis is the most popular writer they have, but the only thing I buy by him is Secret War.

Some good choices there...

The Ultimates, and Wolverine.

The Ultimates 2 is a fantastic superhero book. I enjoyed the first series, but the sequel trumps that by a wide margin. Wolverine is fun as a thrill ride. The Matt Murdock appearance was a blast.

I'd also suggest Warren Ellis' Ultimate Nightmare and Ultimate Secret.

I still can't get over how geeked out I was at the end of Ultimate Nightmare. I basically knew what was coming, but the way that it was presented was something else. McNiven's art is enough to get me to read Ultimate Secret.

Bendis is the most popular writer they have, but the only thing I buy by him is Secret War.

His Daredevil run with Alex Maleev is phenomenal.

The Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run has been choice reading, and the Brubaker/Epting Captain America run that started in January has so far been excellent. I also suggest picking up the Cage mini-series that came out a couple years ago by Azzarello & Corben, it is available as a trade.

I don't generally buy Marvel books, but these are well written and all three series have artwork that compliments the the story telling well.

Another must have Marvel from recent years is The Meglomaniacal Spider-Man one-shot by Peter Bagge.

You know what else is good? Bullseye: Greatest Hits. I was amazed because I expected to hate it. But it is well written and if you liked the art in DC's Preacher, it's the same guy here (Dillon).

Other than that, I enjoy the following the most out of all of the Marvel titles I read:

-Fantastic Four

-Marvel Knights: 4

-Ultimate Fantastic Four

-Ultimate Spider-Man (though it's gotten a bit slow)

-Amazing Spider-Man

-Marvel Knights: Spider-Man (though the new issue with Wolverine as a member of the new Avengers SUCKED -- I felt like I was reading a comic book from 1993)

-Black Panther

-Black Widow mini

-Daredevil

-Ultimates2 ("There's a problem in the Middle East...." 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif)

-Ultimate Nightmare

-Ultimate Secret

-New Avengers

-Young Avengers (interesting so far)

-Hulk

There are probably a few more but this is a good list off the top of my head.

Brubaker/Epting Captain America run that started in January has so far been excellent.

I'll second that.

On a related note, a friend of mine just bought a two page spread from issue #1. Epting's art looks nicer in black and white.

You know what else is good? Bullseye: Greatest Hits. I was amazed because I expected to hate it. But it is well written and if you liked the art in DC's Preacher, it's the same guy here (Dillon).

Surprisingly good! I knew I'd like the art, but the story was beyond all expectations.

Some others not mentioned:

Powers

Runaways

She-Hulk

Marvel Team-up was a suprisingly decent read. Its nothing stellar, but is just good all out campy superhero goodness.

Now that Marvel booted Austen, a few years too late, as long as you steer clear of Claremont's books, you won't find too much that is downright horrible. I've also learned to stay away from all the mini's they put out, if its good, you'll hear about it and can get the trade.

Brubaker/Epting Captain America run that started in January has so far been excellent.

I'll second that.

On a related note, a friend of mine just bought a two page spread from issue #1. Epting's art looks nicer in black and white.

I'll bet it does. Though what would be really nice to have is a Michael Lark flashback page.

Just finished Wolverine #27 today. I just wanted to read through and see whats up, plus it has a cool cover. Millar's story seems pretty cool - love the ending smile.gif

That said, and there is no other way to say this, John Romita Jr. is a hack. That artwork is the sloppiest [#@$%!!!] I have seen since Don Heck in the 70s. It seriously detracts from the story, and I have a hard time believing this guy shares the same genes as the great John Romita Sr.

What happened to this guy? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just finished Wolverine #27 today. I just wanted to read through and see whats up, plus it has a cool cover. Millar's story seems pretty cool - love the ending smile.gif

That said, and there is no other way to say this, John Romita Jr. is a hack. That artwork is the sloppiest [#@$%!!!] I have seen since Don Heck in the 70s. It seriously detracts from the story, and I have a hard time believing this guy shares the same genes as the great John Romita Sr.

I think he's one of the best artists working today. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll agree with you on that! Ever since the Maximum Security fill-in/crossover on Avengers, I've wondered what folks see in JRJr. His earlier stuff (Iron Man, for example) was really nice, but lately... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll agree with you on that! Ever since the Maximum Security fill-in/crossover on Avengers, I've wondered what folks see in JRJr. His earlier stuff (Iron Man, for example) was really nice, but lately... confused-smiley-013.gif

His work these days looks too much like Joe Q's, better, but still not as good as his work in the 80's.

I think he's one of the best artists working today. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ditto. A hack? Come on. confused.gif

His work these days looks too much like Joe Q's, better, but still not as good as his work in the 80's.

I am loving JR Jr. on Black Panther with Klaus Janson. cloud9.gif

Agree 100%. I wont avoid a book because he's (JR JR) the artist, but I sure as hell wouldn't buy a book because he's the artist.