• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Drug Store Chain" Whitman DC Reprints

5 posts in this topic

Was looking at a Whitman copy of DC Presents 1 that I remember purchasing in a Save On Drugs Store. Save On Drugs was a chainstore in the New York City metropolitan area back in the late 70s and early 80s. Interestingly, Since Whitman DC Reprints were unavailable at the newsstands and candy shops in my area, comics from this publisher were only available at the drugstore chain outlet.

Does anyone else remember having a similar experience finding Whitman DC Reprints back then?

Thanks for any insight?

John

I do. I remember finding them in places like Woolworths and some drug store chains. It's funny, even when I was a kid, I looked down as the Whitmans as reprints. I guess now, we find that they are tougher to find than the "real" DCs.

I do. I remember finding them in places like Woolworths and some drug store chains. It's funny, even when I was a kid, I looked down as the Whitmans as reprints. I guess now, we find that they are tougher to find than the "real" DCs.

I didn't care much for them either and remember wondering why they were only available in the drug store near me. The Whitmans were on a shelf mixed in with an assortment of coloring and Golden Books. Not the best way to present comics- far from the great experience I always got seeing and buying the newest comics at the newsstand. The mystery for me as a kid was why DC Comic books had the Whitman logo.

+1

I recall the Whitman logo as similar to the PLOD. :lol:

Never thought of them as rare, interesting or valuable. Collecting habits change but the old stigma will always be in the back of my mind. I still have many salted in the collection and with knowledge my affinity for them grows.

+1

I recall the Whitman logo as similar to the PLOD. :lol:

Never thought of them as rare, interesting or valuable. Collecting habits change but the old stigma will always be in the back of my mind. I still have many salted in the collection and with knowledge my affinity for them grows.

It was also annoying that most (all?) of the DC Whitmans didn't have issue numbers on the covers.