• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor and the rarity factor

63 posts in this topic

There are other mid to late SA Thor issues scarce in 9.8.

133...one

and here she is

thor13398.jpg

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/v2/inventory/comic/028626

...God how I love that comic :luhv: .....Stan and Jack were simply off the chain diuring this period ..... in my opinion, comics were never better...... though Simonson sure managed to impress...... beautiful copy :headbang: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...God how I love that comic :luhv: .....Stan and Jack were simply off the chain diuring this period ..... in my opinion, comics were never better...... though Simonson sure managed to impress...... beautiful copy :headbang: GOD BLESS....

Simonson's Thor and Byrne's FF are rare examples of someone following a lengthy Kirby run and finding something new to do with it! Great, great comics!

Simonson's Thor and Byrne's FF are rare examples of someone following a lengthy Kirby run and finding something new to do with it! Great, great comics!

Agreed. Those two books and artists got me buying and reading comics again in '81 after a five year hiatus. But the Lee/Kirby and Lee/Ditko books are my most favorite.

Agree on both counts. I thought Byrne's FF was just incredible. So much fun.

Then, years later, I finally read Simonson's Thor. Even better. Thor 337 is, quite possibly, the most perfect single issue of all-time. It's everything "you'd" want a comic to be. Fantastic art, compelling story. Just as good as it gets in the medium.

Then, years later, I finally read Simonson's Thor. Even better. Thor 337 is, quite possibly, the most perfect single issue of all-time. It's everything "you'd" want a comic to be. Fantastic art, compelling story. Just as good as it gets in the medium.

"Who is this that doth so cavalierly toss the God of Thunder like a new mown bale of hay?"

:roflmao:

"Who is this that doth so cavalierly toss the God of Thunder like a new mown bale of hay?"

:roflmao:

Yes! :banana:

You know you ate that shit up. We all did. Near perfect.

I don't believe after 50+ years there are any unslabbed freaks of nature out there, so sadly this is the quota for said issues.

You really need to read the FF 52 thread.

And you may also want to read the GL 76 thread in the BA forum.

Yes, there are some post-1965 issues that are relatively scarce in 9.8, but they never turn out to be all that scarce once there is some real financial incentive for more copies to appear.

There is certainly an incentive to slab 126 in the hopes of getting a 9.8. I bought the second 9.8 raw, graded it and sold it for $18,000 years ago.

I don't believe after 50+ years there are any unslabbed freaks of nature out there, so sadly this is the quota for said issues.

Yes, there are some post-1965 issues that are relatively scarce in 9.8, but they never turn out to be all that scarce once there is some real financial incentive for more copies to appear.

There is certainly an incentive to slab 126 in the hopes of getting a 9.8. I bought the second 9.8 raw, graded it and sold it for $18,000 years ago.

How many years ago was this and do you think the purchaser would be able to resell it for a profit in this current high flying market, given how rare these Thor books supposedly are in 9.8 condition? hm(shrug)

How many years ago was this and do you think the purchaser would be able to resell it for a profit in this current high flying market, given how rare these Thor books supposedly are in 9.8 condition? hm(shrug)

6 or 7 years ago maybe?

The Boston 9.8 has sold since, for a smaller number.

6 or 7 years ago maybe?

From a strictly ROI point of view, it seems that lowest graded copies of HTF vintage comic books are much more of a sure fire winner over time than these highest graded copies of what would otherwise be common books in anything below uber HG condition. hm

Being a high grade collector myself though, it's certainly hard not to be enticed by these pristine minty fresh looking books. :cloud9:

Change the 'never' to 'rarely' and I would agree with you. Given that 9.6 copies of FF #51 go for over $5000, it's not for lack of financial incentive that there are no 9.8 slabbed copies after 17 years of CGC being in business - I believe a 9.8 copy would likely fetch $20,000 or more. It's not the only outlier comic, either, as others have pointed out already. Plus, there's more than a handful of early Bronze Age Marvels that have never been graded at 9.8.

Maybe it's just the pressers won't get out of bed for less than $50K anymore. (shrug)

I guarantee that if a buyer who appeared with an ironclad offer of $80K for a FF #51 in 9.8, then one would appear. And probably more would quickly appear after that if it was a public sale.

There are other mid to late SA Thor issues scarce in 9.8.

128...one copy

129...zero

133...one

136...zero

138...one

150...one

157...one

167...one

Interesting.

I would argue, however, that there is a direct correlation between Thor being the cheapest of the core SA Marvel titles and the lack of 9.8 graded copies.

6 or 7 years ago maybe?

Schmell's first 9.8 ( he owned both ) wasn't as well centered as the Boston copy. He sold it and acquired the Boston copy. Took a hit when he auctioned it off on HA.

Golf clap

Golf clap

BOB BROKERED THE SALE FOR ME.

Happy now, Your Surliness?

Golf clap

BOB BROKERED THE SALE FOR ME.

Happy now, Your Surliness?

lol

6 or 7 years ago maybe?

From a strictly ROI point of view, it seems that lowest graded copies of HTF vintage comic books are much more of a sure fire winner over time than these highest graded copies of what would otherwise be common books in anything below uber HG condition. hm

Being a high grade collector myself though, it's certainly hard not to be enticed by these pristine minty fresh looking books. :cloud9:

Lou, you nailed it. I am the same. I enjoy the hunt and feel a sense of entitlement when I find and eventually own something ultra-rare. :acclaim:

Change the 'never' to 'rarely' and I would agree with you. Given that 9.6 copies of FF #51 go for over $5000, it's not for lack of financial incentive that there are no 9.8 slabbed copies after 17 years of CGC being in business - I believe a 9.8 copy would likely fetch $20,000 or more. It's not the only outlier comic, either, as others have pointed out already. Plus, there's more than a handful of early Bronze Age Marvels that have never been graded at 9.8.

Maybe it's just the pressers won't get out of bed for less than $50K anymore. (shrug)

I guarantee that if a buyer who appeared with an ironclad offer of $80K for a FF #51 in 9.8, then one would appear. And probably more would quickly appear after that if it was a public sale.

Exactly. It would be a 9.6 submitted to CGC for re-appraisal. 2c