• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removal/minimizing of grease pencil?

12 posts in this topic

Just got a recent eBay purchase only to find undisclosed black grease pencil on the back cover.

Now, I would likely have bought the book if it had been disclosed, but what is bothering me is that the pencil markings are kind of flaking/smudging off (as I noticed when I ever so lightly brushed it when putting it back in the bag and found some black bits on the side of my hand).

So, is there a good/safe way to lower the smudge potential?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Just got a recent eBay purchase only to find undisclosed black grease pencil on the back cover.

Now, I would likely have bought the book if it had been disclosed, but what is bothering me is that the pencil markings are kind of flaking/smudging off (as I noticed when I ever so lightly brushed it when putting it back in the bag and found some black bits on the side of my hand).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Im not sure how t oget that off, someone else here will know. But ireckon you should ask for a part refund (still keepign the book though) Thats what i did with my House Of Mystery with glue stuck on the back. even though i got it off safely i emailed the seller telling him that he had damaged book and that i wanted a partial refund. In the end he gave me a full refund and allowed me to keep the book. Jus tan idea ^-^

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Try taking a pencil eraser and "rolling" the edge of it along the grease lines - if the grease/ink is still somewhat sticky, it will adhere to the eraser. Don't use an actual erasing motion however as it will just smear the grease/ink everywhere. I did this once on a super fresh, glossy book and the grease came right off without a trace!! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Try taking a pencil eraser and "rolling" the edge of it along the grease lines - if the grease/ink is still somewhat sticky, it will adhere to the eraser. Don't use an actual erasing motion however as it will just smear the grease/ink everywhere. I did this once on a super fresh, glossy book and the grease came right off without a trace!! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home.... assuming I can find an eraser that the kids haven't ground into nonexistence. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home.... assuming I can find an eraser that the kids haven't ground into nonexistence. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Cool..lmk if it works. Please remember however that afterwards your book will of course be restored (or will it?), and you will have to disclose that restoration to any potential buyer in the future (or will you?). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, the eraser trick didn't work, but that may be because all of the erasers I could find had that sort of non-porous glaze that they get from disuse (probably because no one around Fan4Fan Manor makes a mistake stooges.gif).

So, I tried the next best thing....

Post-It notes.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By applying several of them (serially over the same area), I finally had them come away with little to know blackness.

So, the mark is still there, but it is not flaking off.

The book (FF #115) has nice gloss, but this must be 30+ year-old pencil and has bonded enough that only the heaviest applied areas are willing to easily depart from the book.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Well, the eraser trick didn't work, but that may be because all of the erasers I could find had that sort of non-porous glaze that they get from disuse (probably because no one around Fan4Fan Manor makes a mistake stooges.gif).

So, I tried the next best thing....

Post-It notes.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By applying several of them (serially over the same area), I finally had them come away with little to know blackness.

So, the mark is still there, but it is not flaking off.

The book (FF #115) has nice gloss, but this must be 30+ year-old pencil and has bonded enough that only the heaviest applied areas are willing to easily depart from the book.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

It'll come off with solvent, but you'll have tidelines left over unless you disassemble the book and give it a full solvent bath. I think you're stuck with the grease pencil.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I don't know . . . I've never cleaned a book wink.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I don't know . . . I've never cleaned a book wink.gif

Not trying to clean it... just trying to keep it from getting dirtier. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now that all of the easily removable grease pencil is gone, I don't have a problem with it. I just didn't want it smudging itself (say... is this an idea for a new product.... Comic Diapers? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I had a grease pencil mark on my Weird War 5 that I hated. I ended up rubbing it off with spit. insane.gif Hey, it worked....

Remind me to never buy that book off of you. tongue.gifinsane.gif

I was waiting for someone to say that. I doubt I will ever sell it anyway. grin.gif