• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales of Suspense 39 CGC 9.8

81 posts in this topic

I got completely out of collecting and buying graded copies about 8 years ago. The thought of the manipulations sickens me. Took the joy of owning high grade books from me.

If you thought there was manipulation 8 years ago, you should see what 'they' are doing now. I also dislike the manipulation but for for me it made the challenge of finding the right books for my collection even more fun and challenging. There are still a lot of 'authentic' books out there, just a little harder to find.

I got completely out of collecting and buying graded copies about 8 years ago. The thought of the manipulations sickens me. Took the joy of owning high grade books from me. And I had a ton of them at one time. It's all around (mostly raw) 7.0's and down for me now. I was so disgusted back then I even set fire to three higher graded Batman's.

At the time I had stated on these boards that it would harm the hobby in the long term; obviously I was wrong. I still think it is insanity to pay 200K more for a book because of such a small uptick in grade, even more so because it is based on a another man's perception on a given day.

But then again I think a lot of books are now over priced. I just can't see how this continues across the board like this for another 10 years. Still, It looks like it will. The world is going crazy.

Anyway, I got way off subject. Regardless 9.6, 9.8, the book is a beauty. It is a previlige for the owner to possess such an artifact of pop culture and Americana. Congrats to whoever owns that book and enjoy your windfall.

As long as interest rates are at 0%, this hobby and all "luxury item" hobbies will continue to feel immense upward pressure.

When interest rates finally go back up to say, even historical mean (~5%), it won't just be houses, cars, student loans, and credit cards that get wiped out.

All the asset bubbles will get crushed. Absolutely crushed.

The 30 year US Treasury Bond, while having a progressively lower yield since the 1980s, never yielded even close to zero, let alone zero itself. As for the next housing bubble, the last one that drove the Great Recession occurred at a time of relatively stable interest rates, and ones that had fallen rather than risen over the prior 20 year time frame.

There is a 9.2 Detective Comics 27 on the census, I should make a thread about it and we can all pick that one apart too...who owns it? Who resubmitted it? How much will it go for? Who is the gullible person who paid that much? Was it pressed? ect..

Do you really think most of the 9.8's out there got the grade on the first try ?

I`ve received plenty of 9.8s on first submission. I`ve never once pressed or resubbed a book.

I completely agree. Most 9.8's DID receive a 9.8 on the first try. Sure for a 5-6 figure book, there is lots of financial incentive to resub. But a 2-3 hundred dollar book? And the vast majority of 9.8 books fall in the hundreds of dollars end of the spectrum than the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars end.

Are we talking SA keys and semi-keys or just all SA books? hm

When I made my comment, I was thinking about SA keys, like the TOS 39 of this thread.

There are so few copies of the SA keys in condition even approaching 9.6 or 9.8 that the sample size is too small to draw any conclusions. I believe the 9.8 ASM #1 and the Curator 9.8 X-Men #1 were both graded as 9.8s off the bat.

Are there even many other 9.8 copies (manipulated or not) of most of the other major SA keys? We know that a 9.6 PC copy of X-Men #1 got upgraded to a 9.8, and now we have the 9.8 TOS 39.

There is no 9.8 copy of AF 15, FF 1 or JIM 83.

I owned the raw Bethlehem copies of the Showcase Aquaman run. About 10 years ago I submitted them to CGC and the #30 and #31 got an 8.5. I always thought they should have graded higher and brought them to Matt Nelson at a convention. This is when pre-CGC Matt would evaluate your books for a nominal fee. About the #30, he said it would never grade higher than an 8.5, I believe it was a stain somewhere. Anyway, I moved the #30 in a trade. This is when Aquaman was not a big deal. Years later I saw the book somewhere as a 9.2 but again Aquaman was no big deal at the time. However, I have now seen it as a 9.4. I would not be surprised to someday see it as a 9.8.

I owned the raw Bethlehem copies of the Showcase Aquaman run. About 10 years ago I submitted them to CGC and the #30 and #31 got an 8.5. I always thought they should have graded higher and brought them to Matt Nelson at a convention. This is when pre-CGC Matt would evaluate your books for a nominal fee. About the #30, he said it would never grade higher than an 8.5, I believe it was a stain somewhere. Anyway, I moved the #30 in a trade. This is when Aquaman was not a big deal. Years later I saw the book somewhere as a 9.2 but again Aquaman was no big deal at the time. However, I have now seen it as a 9.4. I would not be surprised to someday see it as a 9.8.

:cry:

9.4 and it has a stain?

The 30 year US Treasury Bond, while having a progressively lower yield since the 1980s, never yielded even close to zero, let alone zero itself. As for the next housing bubble, the last one that drove the Great Recession occurred at a time of relatively stable interest rates, and ones that had fallen rather than risen over the prior 20 year time frame.

you need to include inflation when talking about "real" rates for your example.

"Great Recession" caused by a lot more than the housing bubble, and none of its consequences have been dealt with or fixed, just hidden, delayed, and pushed into the future(while making them bigger).

Did you check to see if the stain was still there since you would be the one person to know exactly where to look for it? hm

Did you check to see if the stain was still there since you would be the one person to know exactly where to look for it? hm

Ask Timeless _Icons since he owns it now

9.4 and it has a stain?

Let's not jump to conclusions. Bob himself wasn't sure with his recollection. I sold the Showcase #30 CGC 9.4 Bethlehem and there were no visible stains on the book.

There was a slight amount of corner and spine wear and that was it. I don't anyone thinks the book is going to grade a 9.8 but it is a nice looking 9.4

I could be wrong, but I believe the #32 did grade much lower than the others and that one may have been the one with the stain on it but I can't say for sure as I don't have images of it.

9.4 and it has a stain?

Let's not jump to conclusions. Bob himself wasn't sure with his recollection. I sold the Showcase #30 CGC 9.4 Bethlehem and there were no visible stains on the book.

You are correct Roy. I don't remember the specifics, other than Matt pointing out something in the corner and saying it would never grade higher than 8.5. I thought he said stain but who knows. The book had great eye appeal with strong cover colors. I do know the dealer I traded it to passed it along in the same 8.5 slab. After that I don't know the chain but I remember seeing it as a 9.2 . Nice eye appeal aside, it is still amazing that an 8.5 book can morph into a 9.4 . Maybe a 9.2, as often a light press can eliminate some minor things, but that extra squeeze to a 9.4 is a little crazy.

9.4 and it has a stain?

You are correct Roy. I don't remember the specifics, other than Matt pointing out something in the corner and saying it would never grade higher than 8.5. I thought he said stain but who knows. The book had great eye appeal with strong cover colors. I do know the dealer I traded it to passed it along in the same 8.5 slab. After that I don't know the chain but I remember seeing it as a 9.2 . Nice eye appeal aside, it is still amazing that an 8.5 book can morph into a 9.4 . Maybe a 9.2, as often a light press can eliminate some minor things, but that extra squeeze to a 9.4 is a little crazy.

Perhaps Roy could shed some light on what defect was targeted with what I would presume was an additional pressing that could have propelled the book into a 9.4 slab.

I hope my Showcase #30 example does show that the attainment of the uber grades is often a process. It wasn't a 9.4 on the first submission. It took multiple submissions and, I'm sure, multiple pressings. Question for the true collectors: Is it really the same pedigree I once owned ?

I hope my Showcase #30 example does show that the attainment of the uber grades is often a process. It wasn't a 9.4 on the first submission. It took multiple submissions and, I'm sure, multiple pressings. Question for the true collectors: Is it really the same pedigree I once owned ?

My question is "did the SC30 look like an 8.5 to you at the time, or was it, in your opinion, undergraded ?" GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u