• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you pay for this dealer overstock?

142 posts in this topic

Have you all stopped to ask yourself, "What can I do today to make 1Cool a better, more savvy dealer?"

I've advised him privately to include the word "Bonanza" in all his sales thread titles.

Hmm, looks to be about 2000-2100 books total in 14 short boxes. Assuming if the SA section is about half that, BA/CA half this. I'd say $2500 upward to open in offer? (shrug)

That is coming from the photo, not in person to check them out all.

And that's from a strictly dealer (seller) standpoint correct? I think it will be interesting to see how much the three different perspectives (sell them all, sell most and keep a few or keep them all) come up with a number.

What would be your range be - $2,500 to start off and would go up to $3,000 in negotiations based on what you can see?

About 250 bagged and boarded books in a long box, so more like 1700-1800 books to be on the safe side.

I think he mentioned 2,000 books in our discussion. I guess the discussion has morphed into "is this batch worth $1 a book" from a resale perspective. From what I am gathering is most of the bigger dealers so "hell no" and most the smaller sellers are saying "sounds about right".

Have you all stopped to ask yourself, "What can I do today to make 1Cool a better, more savvy dealer?"

I've advised him privately to include the word "Bonanza" in all his sales thread titles.

Hard to fit Bonanza in the title with the necessary Keys, Keys, Keys! Can't ever have enough Keys!

If he was smart he'd just start a journal thread highlighting every horrible mistake he's ever made in dealing with comics.

Support would rush in

Hmm, looks to be about 2000-2100 books total in 14 short boxes. Assuming if the SA section is about half that, BA/CA half this. I'd say $2500 upward to open in offer? (shrug)

That is coming from the photo, not in person to check them out all.

And that's from a strictly dealer (seller) standpoint correct? I think it will be interesting to see how much the three different perspectives (sell them all, sell most and keep a few or keep them all) come up with a number.

What would be your range be - $2,500 to start off and would go up to $3,000 in negotiations based on what you can see?

About 250 bagged and boarded books in a long box, so more like 1700-1800 books to be on the safe side.

I think he mentioned 2,000 books in our discussion. I guess the discussion has morphed into "is this batch of worth $1 a book" from a resale perspective. From what I am gathering is most of the bigger dealers so "hell no" and most the smaller sellers are saying "sounds about right".

this seems about right. If you're a bigger dealer you have better access to better finds for sure and this ain't worth your labor, but if you you're paying small booth fees at local cons mostly being paid in cash and need to replenish $1, $5, or $10 boxes with new stock, this seems in the range for $1 per book.

If he was smart he'd just start a journal thread highlighting every horrible mistake he's ever made in dealing with comics.

Support would rush in

Other then setting up at Baltimore and some of my selections for onsite grading I don't have many regrets. I wish would have bought more of Greggy's books back in the old VCCs but they went quickly.

Support would rush in

Other then setting up at Baltimore and some of my selections for onsite grading I don't have many regrets. I wish would have bought more of Greggy's books back in the old VCCs but they went quickly.

nice bomics

Hard to fit Bonanza in the title with the necessary Keys, Keys, Keys! Can't ever have enough Keys!

Super Key Keys, A Bonanza of Key Keys Smorgasbord! Not that Cheap Dealer Overstock I Just Bought, I Promise!!

That will fit!

You guys are harsh. It's hard to tell without the books in front of you, but I see a fair amount of books that should sell briskly out of $2 boxes.

Yes, there is in there that will be tough $1 book fodder.

And other stuff, like the SA Spideys, Avengers, X-Men, Byrne X-Men, I see an ASM 361 in there, they should sell at better prices

But yes, does that get one past the $1200 mark Donut offers?

I dunno, I'd probably go a buck a book and I see 1750 books in 7 long boxes.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who has a lot of regrets over this year's $1-$2 box purchases from NYCC, whereas those same sorts of purchases from 2 - 5 years ago have been generating a nice steady profit stream for years.

Sounds like 1cool would like to bulk up his show stock a bit. and these are all bagged and boarded, which is nice.

Super Key Keys, A Bonanza of Key Keys Smorgasbord! Not that Cheap Dealer Overstock I Just Bought, I Promise!!

That will fit!

Don't forget to add CGC it!

As an online comic dealer I would decline to bid on a collection like this. Looks like bulk silver in common grade, and bulk bronze copper in common grade.

Trying to turn a profit on inventory like this is like pushing mud with a broom, it just smears and in the end you have a bigger mess than what you started with.

Yea - online only sales would be tough for this kind of bulk books. But if you can pull out the top 30% and sell them and then blow out the rest for $1 a piece at a couple local shows (which I'd think would not be tough with the decent quality of the books) you would be way ahead with the $2,300 price tag.

No you wouldn't. You'd be out both your capital and - more importantly - your time. That sort of inventory is everywhere, and at a buck a book you're overpaying. Yes, there's some good stuff in there, but you're going to sell the good stuff and be stuck with the dregs. You will double your money, but it will take you a long time and will be a hassle.

That lot right there is YEARS of work. YEARS!

It's a novice trap. The guy who has them is hoping for a guy who thinks "Gee Whiz, Guide on these is $X, if I can get it for half that I will be swimming if phat stax a' cheddah!"

Maybe the dealer fell into the same trap, years and years before, and this is what's left. He's trying to pass it on like the curse in "The Ring"....hoping he can get someone to watch the tape so he's free. lol

This, and what Bob said, sums this thread up nicely.

The most I'd pay for this is 14 longs at $20-25 a piece, call it $300- $400, tops.

It's a bulk rate buy, nothing more.

I know a bulk dealer who will drive to my house and puck up all of the boxes at about 50 a long.

The only books I'd pull are books like the ASM 361 2nd print, if I looked it over and knew I could get a 9.8 on it, if I pressed it.Worst case, 9.6.

Odds are there will be 1-2 books like that ASM 361 2nd print, per box.

OTOH, odds are just as likely that said book is going to have multiple color breaks and it is then not worth my time to press and money + time allocation towards fast tracked CGC fees.

I'd leave the SA books like the ASM 32 and everything else for the bulk dealer.

You guys are harsh. It's hard to tell without the books in front of you, but I see a fair amount of books that should sell briskly out of $2 boxes.

Yes, there is in there that will be tough $1 book fodder.

And other stuff, like the SA Spideys, Avengers, X-Men, Byrne X-Men, I see an ASM 361 in there, they should sell at better prices

But yes, does that get one past the $1200 mark Donut offers?

I dunno, I'd probably go a buck a book and I see 1750 books in 7 long boxes.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who has a lot of regrets over this year's $1-$2 box purchases from NYCC, whereas those same sorts of purchases from 2 - 5 years ago have been generating a nice steady profit stream for years.

Sounds like 1cool would like to bulk up his show stock a bit. and these are all bagged and boarded, which is nice.

I think the ASM 361 is a 2nd print which is kind of scary since it's a show book. Makes me think he is trying to troll for a sucker.

I think the reaction is to the dealer's $4,000 minimum price.

As an online comic dealer I would decline to bid on a collection like this. Looks like bulk silver in common grade, and bulk bronze copper in common grade.

Trying to turn a profit on inventory like this is like pushing mud with a broom, it just smears and in the end you have a bigger mess than what you started with.

Yea - online only sales would be tough for this kind of bulk books. But if you can pull out the top 30% and sell them and then blow out the rest for $1 a piece at a couple local shows (which I'd think would not be tough with the decent quality of the books) you would be way ahead with the $2,300 price tag.

No you wouldn't. You'd be out both your capital and - more importantly - your time. That sort of inventory is everywhere, and at a buck a book you're overpaying. Yes, there's some good stuff in there, but you're going to sell the good stuff and be stuck with the dregs. You will double your money, but it will take you a long time and will be a hassle.

That lot right there is YEARS of work. YEARS!

It's a novice trap. The guy who has them is hoping for a guy who thinks "Gee Whiz, Guide on these is $X, if I can get it for half that I will be swimming if phat stax a' cheddah!"

Maybe the dealer fell into the same trap, years and years before, and this is what's left. He's trying to pass it on like the curse in "The Ring"....hoping he can get someone to watch the tape so he's free. lol

This, and what Bob said, sums this thread up nicely.

The most I'd pay for this is 14 longs at $20-25 a piece, call it $300- $400, tops.

It's a bulk rate buy, nothing more.

I know a bulk dealer who will drive to my house and puck up all of the boxes at about 50 a long.

The only books I'd pull are books like the ASM 361 2nd print, if I looked it over and knew I could get a 9.8 on it, if I pressed it.

Odds are there will be 1-2 books like that ASM 361 2nd print, per box.

I'd leave the SA books like the ASM 32 and everything else for the bulk dealer.

doh! You would only pay wholesale drek prices for this set? $25 a short box seems a bit low considering the decent books being shown.

I'd pay 50% less of what I could get bulking the entire lot out to the local store for credit. I wouldn't want that stuff in my house for more than a week.

Dealers end up with houses and storage units full of junk because of buys like this. Death by a thousand cuts, and this looks like a tablefull of little cuts to me.

Then again, I have zero patience for selling stuff like this. YMMV

Oh yeah, no way $4K

I just figure a chunk of that I would probably buy out of dollar boxes and some of those out of $2-$3 boxes, so a bulk deal at $1 a pop to factor in the into the average.

The unsellable books, yes, they're a pain. I give them away as freebies.

These are not $20-$25 bulk boxes. That's for moderns. Even donut, who tends to argue for paying a low number on these sorts of dealers, views them as $150 boxes.

Again, this is almost impossible because you don't know what's in the 1600 or so books you don't see, Are there tons of Spideys in the 100s under 160? Those sell.

Then again, 1cool presumably has a better idea of what sells out of his $5 boxes in his market. I agree, selling $6-8 books on ebay is a lot of work. I can't stand it. I like to not mess around with anything under $15-$20, although sometimes I get there with a 2-3 book lot.

Show dealers certainly don't act like they have this sort of thing walk up to them 3 or 4 times a week given how unwilling they seem to be to negotiate on their BA/SA books out of $1-$2 boxes.

Of course, I spent like $800 at NYCC on about 2 long boxes worth of $1-$2 box books and I probably didn't get much better stuff overall than pictured, so I guess I'm the sucker. Got caught up in a buying frenzy and the fact that I did very well last year deluded some of my purchases.

Maybe for a well established shop or somebody dealing and looking for comics full time silver and bronze age lots are easier to come by. But the regular joe selling part time and at small shows not so much.

One of my main shops is in a very busy area of manhattan. he is happy to buy, but won't pay much except for better stuff. he certainly has people come in with a box or stack of solid books (he has a decent number of non-key GA super hero books up right now, stuff in the $100-$700 range), but he isn't getting in 4, 5, 6, 7 long boxes of lower end SA/BA books at a time. he gets new stuff pretty much every week, but we may only be talking about 40-80 books at a time of anything worth bagging and boarding. sure, he may scare some of them off over the phone as her tries to diminish expectations because he doesn't want someone pizzed off when he offers them $50 for his box of treasure, but then again, this is a city of almost 9 million people with only a few comic shops left, so those box luggers don't have a lot of options.

Everyone reading this thread can learn something about it.

True - there can never be enough people thinking up ideas on how I can sell more books and buy more books at rock bottom prices!