• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you pay for this dealer overstock?

142 posts in this topic

SO! Those pix look familiar.

Our Bearded Buddy from Detroit?

Yep - just became his Facebook friend and he has some interesting videos. He was very nice when I said no thanks but he did laugh when I thru out a $2,250 offer (now that I re-look at the message he wanted $4,500 and I offered half).

SO! Those pix look familiar.

Our Bearded Buddy from Detroit?

Yep - just became his Facebook friend and he has some interesting videos. He was very nice when I said no thanks but he did laugh when I thru out a $2,250 offer (now that I re-look at the message he wanted $4,500 and I offered half).

Guy is such a joke.

I mean, I recently sold my convention stock (and overstock) when I moved from Chicago to Philadelphia.

I based my price on a percentage of my wall books and my quick sell/hot books plus 10 cents each for everything else (which included 8+ long boxes of Gold/Silver/Bronze plus many Coppers/Moderns).

I picked up this collection, one of the main reasons was to offer a legitimacy to my stock at shows. I may not be making the most money on these books but they've help me bring more customers to my tables and helped my overall sales.

The other tough part is the condition. The assumption is that these books are VG to Fine SA and early Bronze and X-men money books. Then VF on up for the copper. If that's the case $1000-$2000 is the right number. But if the SA books and Spidey's are F and better and the Xmen 95-142 are VF and better, then I could see paying upwards of $3000 or more.

Copper is even tougher. If not NM to NM+ they really are 50 cent books and less.

There have been a few threads with really nice 50, 60, 75 cent common Hulks selling for $5-$10 each but in NM+ condition. Again, the work to grade and scan the books was part of it. If those same books are VF, they become bulk sales, even at a show.

There are 4 short boxes of Xmen and 2 short boxes of Spiderman. Even the schwag looks decent with Thor, DD Cap FF etc. Yeah 1-2 shorts of reprint issues but even those sell in lots. It's not like he's looking at half the collection being 1990s or 1980s unsellables like New Universe etc.

Bagged and boarded and in order does make it nice too. If you are already doing shows it seems made to order.

But condition is everything.

Here's my math assuming just average/typical condition on these. And no more keys.

Below totals to $2000. But higher grade adds more. Keys not shown add more. This also assumes that there's no trickeration going on, that there are more 12 cent ASM between 32 and 79, same with Xmen books.

Amz Adv Ast Tales $40

ASM SA/BA $400

ASM BA/CA/Mod $250

Avg $150

Cap Am and other $100

DD $100

Def, FF, Giants, IMan, reprints $120

Team Up Two in One $60

New Mut, PPSS, Star Trek/Wars $100

TTA TOS $40

Thor $40

Xmen pre 94 $150

Xmen 95-142 $300

Xmen 143-250 $120

The other tough part is the condition. The assumption is that these books are VG to Fine SA and early Bronze and X-men money books. Then VF on up for the copper. If that's the case $1000-$2000 is the right number. But if the SA books and Spidey's are F and better and the Xmen 95-142 are VF and better, then I could see paying upwards of $3000 or more.

Copper is even tougher. If not NM to NM+ they really are 50 cent books and less.

There have been a few threads with really nice 50, 60, 75 cent common Hulks selling for $5-$10 each but in NM+ condition. Again, the work to grade and scan the books was part of it. If those same books are VF, they become bulk sales, even at a show.

There are 4 short boxes of Xmen and 2 short boxes of Spiderman. Even the schwag looks decent with Thor, DD Cap FF etc. Yeah 1-2 shorts of reprint issues but even those sell in lots. It's not like he's looking at half the collection being 1990s or 1980s unsellables like New Universe etc.

Bagged and boarded and in order does make it nice too. If you are already doing shows it seems made to order.

But condition is everything.

Here's my math assuming just average/typical condition on these. And no more keys.

Below totals to $2000. But higher grade adds more. Keys not shown add more. This also assumes that there's no trickeration going on, that there are more 12 cent ASM between 32 and 79, same with Xmen books.

Amz Adv Ast Tales $40

ASM SA/BA $400

ASM BA/CA/Mod $250

Avg $150

Cap Am and other $100

DD $100

Def, FF, Giants, IMan, reprints $120

Team Up Two in One $60

New Mut, PPSS, Star Trek/Wars $100

TTA TOS $40

Thor $40

Xmen pre 94 $150

Xmen 95-142 $300

Xmen 143-250 $120

Nice analyses. The more I look at the books shown the condition looks a little sketchy and I'd have probably regretted buying them for $2,250 and even more so if I would have bumped it to $2,500 to get the deal done.

Well, I'm sure it'll still be available in 3 months. I doubt he actually got an offer for $4,000.

Could be - he said he got a $3,000 offer which although high range is not out of this world high especially if the buyer has had a good year and hasn't found anything to fill boxes and is flush with cash.

If this collection isn't 9.6/9.8 quality with the silver age stuff being VF or better, stay away from it.

If the books were in that shape the guy selling them would just sell them off for $10-$15K or so. The reason they're a tough sell is that they're lower than that.

Well, I'm sure it'll still be available in 3 months. I doubt he actually got an offer for $4,000.

Could be - he said he got a $3,000 offer which although high range is not out of this world high especially if the buyer has had a good year and hasn't found anything to fill boxes and is flush with cash.

...based on what is visible in the picture only, 3K wouldn't happen from me. That's probably about what I'd try to sell them for piecemeal. Looking at the picture only, my top offer would be $ 100 per box...... because, like Donut said.... you will take a good portion of those to the grave. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

as someone who does primarily online sales, I wouldn't touch this with a 50 ft pole.

I'd spend the next decade relisting these on eBay. Without keys, you need to have the patience to sit on these and wait.

I do like the strategy of taking just the keys and offering that amount. This might be only 10 books out of the lot (based on the pics shown), pull out the remainder that you think you can fairly easily sell at a show or two, then bulk wholesale the rest to get rid of them.

When I'm out meeting sellers/considering buying small collections, I wouldn't touch anything that I couldn't sell

sad thing is, I'm not a dealer with a brick and mortar shop. People don't walk up to me and offer me collections that go unseen by the general public. The vast majority of what I come across is posted on CL, where all the other vultures fight over them.

It's near impossible to score anything worth my time.

it's tough to see value in something, but the price just cannot be worked out... it's happened to me a handful of times

sad thing is, I'm not a dealer with a brick and mortar shop. People don't walk up to me and offer me collections that go unseen by the general public. The vast majority of what I come across is posted on CL, where all the other vultures fight over them.

it's tough to see value in something, but the price just cannot be worked out... it's happened to me a handful of times

Yeah, I hunt CL as well. Bought two $1000 collections off CL and made money but I still have 10 longboxes or so of pure drek profit.

It takes YEARS of searching Craigslist to find anything worth buying out here. No joke, every single listing is either 90's junk listed at $100 per issue, or a beat up Bronze age with scribble and detached cover listed for the same.

I did buy one collection of high grade drek at a fantastic price, cherry picked an average collection of Bronze for a great price, passed on a collection that was priced fairly but I knew I wouldn't make money on it, loaded up on 25 cent moderns from a yard sale, bought a pretty much complete run of Cherry Poptart (including some signed and some reprints) for $25, and three issues of RAW for a total of $90.

This is from 2008 to today though. And these days there's more ads offering to buy comics than there is offering to sell comics, so I imagine soon it will be as difficult to buy a decent collection on Craigslist as it is to find a hoard of silver coins.

Yeah, I hunt CL as well. Bought two $1000 collections off CL and made money but I still have 10 longboxes or so of pure drek profit.

lol

It takes YEARS of searching Craigslist to find anything worth buying out here. No joke, every single listing is either 90's junk listed at $100 per issue, or a beat up Bronze age with scribble and detached cover listed for the same.

I did buy one collection of high grade drek at a fantastic price, cherry picked an average collection of Bronze for a great price, passed on a collection that was priced fairly but I knew I wouldn't make money on it, loaded up on 25 cent moderns from a yard sale, bought a pretty much complete run of Cherry Poptart (including some signed and some reprints) for $25, and three issues of RAW for a total of $90.

This is from 2008 to today though. And these days there's more ads offering to buy comics than there is offering to sell comics, so I imagine soon it will be as difficult to buy a decent collection on Craigslist as it is to find a hoard of silver coins.

lol

so true - if you want to talk about what your time is worth, then CL hunting isn't it... of every 40 or so ads I respond to, I might actually buy from 1-2 sellers.

I've also gone out to meet people and not bought anything.. either because the condition wasn't as advertised, or there was just too much of what I couldn't sell

I am out of vacation time this year but am considering looking even more at estate auctions , maybe larger more regional for me than I have been doing. Large, small or online this is where my best finds come, estate auctions. I went to one where I found some comics in the garage but my wife and kids found me excitedly and directed me downstairs. 10 short boxes or so labeled "what if" "star wars" and so on a shelf but behind some yellow "police type" tape. Turns out they were NOT FOR SALE. I thought that I had hit the mother load finally.