• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS5 CGC 9.8 ( third copy ) sells for $48.5K

73 posts in this topic

Hulk 181 in 9.9 sold for 6 figures

Any idea what year this sale took place and was it for something in the neighbourhood of $140K or thereabouts. ???

Not sure if there would be a positive rate of return on this book based upon today's marketplace, as the 9.8 copies do not seem able to retouch their highs. hm(shrug)

Any idea what year this sale took place and was it for something in the neighbourhood of $140K or thereabouts. ???

Not sure if there would be a positive rate of return on this book based upon today's marketplace, as the 9.8 copies do not seem able to retouch their highs. hm(shrug)

It sold 5 years ago for 150K, if memory serves me right.

I seriously doubt the buyer of the Hulk 181 bought it for value, they bought it to own the best copy. Unless politics enter into the issue, there will be another 9.9 Hulk 181 its just a matter of time, trust me they are trying to exert the necessary 'pressure' to get there and I would be shocked if that book sells for 100K

With the recent jumps in price I could see HOS 92 hitting over 25k.

Here is the Savannah is a 9.4

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/house-of-secrets-92-savannah-pedigree-dc-1971-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7097-91388.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here is one of the two 9.8's

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=433588

I don't have a pic of the other one.

I wish I knew more about DC bronze Curator books. They seem to be for the most part, a complete mystery. Would love to own some Curator Adams/Wrightson/Kaulta someday :wishluck:

Would also like to know what the Mass & Twin Cities HOS 92 copies are.

Made a run at the Savannah and still kick myself for not pushing a bit more; I was trying to compete with Doc Joe in OA bidding at the time so ... :screwy::insane:

there are not many Curator DCs. The Curator's are no where near the other SA Pedigrees in terms of volume, what makes them distinct is their quality, which is unparalleled, even the Pac Coasts can't go book for book with the Curators, there are just way more Pac Coasts so in terms of breadth, I still think the Pac's are the #1 SA Ped. However, if you took the top 100 Curators and top 100 Pac's its Curator hands down, ASM 1 and AF 15 alone, drop the mike.

I think the Curators have the best overall preservation of any post 1960 pedigree.

Maybe Mass. 2nd?

PC books tend to have awesome centering but once you getting the early 70's the page quality really starts to take a hit.

The SCS on that book is horrible. That book was no more than a 9.0, but the number on the slab rules all :facepalm:

Are you not paying attention here again? (tsk)

As we all know on the CGC boards here, we are supposed to be buying the label and not the book.

It should be obvious to everybody that the purchaser of the 9.9 copy is paying a whopping $3K for the underlying book itself and only a measly $147K for the nicely presenting label with the big flashy number on it. doh!

Correct. (2/2011 - ComicLink)

I think the Curators have the best overall preservation of any post 1960 pedigree.

Maybe Mass. 2nd?

PC books tend to have awesome centering but once you getting the early 70's the page quality really starts to take a hit.

True, but their late 10c and 12c Marvels are probably the best. I also like the Mass books, especially the DCs, that said the Pac Coast DCs are still largely together and have significant runs with single collectors.

Maybe Mass. 2nd?

True, but their late 10c and 12c Marvels are probably the best. I also like the Mass books, especially the DCs, that said the Pac Coast DCs are still largely together and have significant runs with single collectors.

For me, the prettiest Silver Age pedigree books after the Curators are the Boston books. I wouldn't argue that it's a great pedigree because it's not deep at all. But they have great colors and gloss and they're very strong structurally.

But overall, I'd say: 1. Curator 2. White Mountain 3. Pacific Coast

Don & Maggie, Mass, Northland, and Twin Cities are all sorts of awesome too. I think Western Penn is probably pretty great too. But I think a lot of the Marvels lost their provenance over the years.

2 soft corners and a color breaking spine tick gets a 9.9.

But that's harsher old label grading :insane:

Yes, but the label itself appears to be in 9.9 Mint condition, and after all, isn't that what really counts. :makepoint:lol

Bah humbug. My 9.8 W looks much better than that. :acclaim:

And Lou is right - it has been all about the label for some time now. Check out the Copper threads - people investing in 9.9 copies of what were, are and always will be bad comics. doh!

I wonder who subbed it? I bet it wasn't just some lowly collector who received that gimme.

Greggy posted about this sometime back. It was submitted by "Ideal Collectibles".

I wonder who subbed it? I bet it wasn't just some lowly collector who received that gimme.

Greggy posted about this sometime back. It was submitted by "Ideal Collectibles".

Talk about ironic because that is one heck of an... ahem... , "ideal grade"

For me, the prettiest Silver Age pedigree books after the Curators are the Boston books. I

But overall, I'd say: 1. Curator 2. White Mountain 3. Pacific Coast

With respect to the overall superb quality of the Curators, would they generally be for all of the Curator books or more specifically, mainly for the Marvel runs?

Just wondering since I picked up about a dozen of the Curator Dells and Gold Keys #1 issues from John Hauser about 10 years ago and they were not as nice as I was expecting. I guess it's probably a case of high expectations since I had always heard so much about the Curators that I was expecting to be blown away by them.

For example, although the Curator Total War #1 was certainly nice and probably around NM condition, the File Copies I had for Mars Patrol #4 - #10 with their fresh-off-the-press colors and pure white pages were clearly leaps and bounds superior to the Curators. (shrug)