• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS5 CGC 9.8 ( third copy ) sells for $48.5K

73 posts in this topic

Comic Connect and Comic Link don't provide sales data to GPA. That's why as a buyer on these sites you have to be careful about paying a record sum for something that isn't recorded (save a screenshot), as when attempting to re-sell potential buyers may balk - as to them there is no precedent. (tsk)

Comic Connect provides select date.

2 soft corners and a color breaking spine tick gets a 9.9.

But that's harsher old label grading :insane:

I wonder who subbed it? I bet it wasn't just some lowly collector who received that gimme.

It's impossible to tell whether that book would regrade a 9.9 or not with such a small scan, and I'd venture to say it's impossible to say from a scan, period.

Scans can amplify or even introduce defects that are not actually on the book (yes, even the 'spine stress and soft corners').

Also, anybody can get a 9.9 if the book warrants it. I've gotten several and they have no idea they are my books. My 1st two 9.9 came on one submission when I was new to submitting to CGC.

Some of these prices are beyond ridiculous.

Or just not a completed sale.

There's just no way someone bid $50K for a MS #5 and paid for it.

How do you know some one didn't? Cause you wouldn't so therefore someone else wouldn't? I can't understand why people pay huge money for these modern age variant covers by Hughes and JSC?? 3-5K each? really? All cause some big boobed chick is on the cover and the ratio is 1:100. I can't wrap my head around it but I can see how someone did it with a MS 5 9.8. I don't agree with it but someone people "gotta have the best" no matter what.

How do you know some one didn't? Cause you wouldn't so therefore someone else wouldn't? I can't understand why people pay huge money for these modern age variant covers by Hughes and JSC?? 3-5K each? really? All cause some big boobed chick is on the cover and the ratio is 1:100. I can't wrap my head around it but I can see how someone did it with a MS 5 9.8. I don't agree with it but someone people "gotta have the best" no matter what.

:golfclap:

Not so sure. Doug has clients wanting the best in Marvel SA and BA.

Very true. People have paid top dollar just to have the best copy (e.g. $3K + change for Avengers #100 and $6K + change for Captain Savage #1) when on offer in the PC auctions. That is no reflection on Doug - only the buyers and their lack of common sense. :makepoint:

On the MS #5 CGC 9.8, I didn't win it but I know it was a completed legit sale.

It has nothing to do with what I would or wouldn't do. I have no problem overspending if I want something bad enough.

It has to do with my experience of selling to these 'rich' guys for many years.

It just doesn't ring true to me based on what I've already posted earlier in the thread. Shill bidding, cash / trades with inflated trade values to inflate the final sales price of the book and other dubious practices.

I'll take Ghostzapper at his word but I'd be hard pressed to find any of the wealthy people I've dealt with that would want a copy at $50K