• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Punisher Issue (spoiler)

3 posts in this topic

Did anyone read Punisher #19 that came out a few weeks ago? I absolutely cannot believe what I read!! To put it in a nutshell, a mob guy wants to take over the mobs in NYC. But, Punisher has been knocking them down for, like, 20+ years. So, this guy decides the best thing to do is draw the Punisher out in the open, kill him, and then make his way to take over the mobs without Frank Castle constantly blowing away his employees. So what does the aspiring mob boss do? He digs up the corpses of Frank's family, has someone videotape him whizzing on the bodies, and then sends tapes to all the local news networks, to get Frank's "attention". The last few pages were unbelievable!! This Garth Ennis (writer) is one screwed up dude!! Who would have EVER thought of writing something like this!!

I read it, and while I have liked the series thus far, this latest issue is a turn for the worse. Ennis has always tried to push the envelope (in his previous Punisher stuff and in Preacher) and sometimes he steps right over the edge. Several of his other stories were pretty gratuitous in their depictions of violence, which is a shame since he is a great writer when he leaves out all that gruesome, splatterhouse bulle. I will continue reading the series, but I have my limits. I ended up dropping Preacher for that reason.

It is over the edge.

However that panel of Frank sitting on the barstool with the grim look of not only am i going to take you out but cancel your entire family line, business, and your check was seriously bruising. He honestly looks meaner than bad ol' Clint Eastwood in the Unforgiven.

I think if you pick up Punisher your not really set to be sensitive in any sense of the word.

Violence does sell. Look at Marv and Sin City.

I like the gritty grim version of Punisher and I lost my faith in him as portrayed by Marvel, a long time ago because they bent into convention.

Let him become the mean spirit of vengeance and let Spectre from DC come over and they could cancel checks in harmony.