• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Despise of Hobgoblin Thread !!!

96 posts in this topic

WTF is a "despise of Hobgoblin?" having trouble with your grammar again i see poke2.gif

Despise. 1. to regard with contempt or scorn. 2. to dislike intensely; loathe.

i.e. "The intense dislike" of Hobgoblin thread.

Besides, I went over this once. I never claimed to be a grammar expert. That's why I'm in engineering. Technical writing doesn't necessarily need to be 100% correct grammar wise. thumbsup2.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

Please tell me you didn't just say your grammar can be wrong? Please tell me you didn't say that...

I spend my days beating my head against the desk as I waste time correcting the grammar of highly paid engineers in proposals. You'd be amazed as to the [#@$%!!!] smart, highly educated people churn out.

Technical writing definitely needs to be grammatically correct, probably more so than most writing, because you are trying to get your point across. Take a writing class. Please. It doesn't have to be creative writing, or poetry, or some other flowery discipline. Take a technical writing class. You'll make yourself (and your future employers) happy. Trust me.

WTF is a "despise of Hobgoblin?" having trouble with your grammar again i see poke2.gif

Besides, I went over this once. I never claimed to be a grammar expert. That's why I'm in engineering. Technical writing doesn't necessarily need to be 100% correct grammar wise. thumbsup2.gif

Someday something you design is going to break in a BIG way. I can see it now. 27_laughing.gif

What's that got to do with "grammar?" confused-smiley-013.gif I don't design sentences or paragraphs. confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

" I'm not that kind of engineer. 27_laughing.gif "

...was a better response. gossip.gif

yeahok.gif

That was your 1st reply...right? confused.gif

Can't be sure..it being the 420 and all. insane.gif

Someday something you design is going to break in a BIG way. I can see it now. 27_laughing.gif

yeah, the problem ain't the word "despise" in "despise of Hobgoblin," there, chief. just fyi

Sal, that's why I said I'm not a grammar expert. I know you were refering to the grammar, "chief." poke2.gif

i'm wondering why "expert" status is required to properly construct something so simple as a thread title. confused-smiley-013.gif

chief.

hi.gif

yeah, the problem ain't the word "despise" in "despise of Hobgoblin," there, chief. just fyi

Sal, that's why I said I'm not a grammar expert. I know you were refering to the grammar, "chief." poke2.gif

i'm wondering why "expert" status is required to properly construct something so simple as a thread title. confused-smiley-013.gif

chief.

hi.gif

Shouldn't there be a capital at the start of your sentence? poke2.gif

chief.

hi.gif

where the * is that rolleyes graemlin?

this, coming from a guy who's more fond of ALLCAPS than a fourteen year old girl on a boy band fansite, no less

sign-rantpost.gif

Please tell me you didn't just say your grammar can be wrong? Please tell me you didn't say that...

I spend my days beating my head against the desk as I waste time correcting the grammar of highly paid engineers in proposals. You'd be amazed as to the [#@$%!!!] smart, highly educated people churn out.

Technical writing definitely needs to be grammatically correct, probably more so than most writing, because you are trying to get your point across. Take a writing class. Please. It doesn't have to be creative writing, or poetry, or some other flowery discipline. Take a technical writing class. You'll make yourself (and your future employers) happy. Trust me.

I took tech writing, it was a requirement. It was the easiest class I ever took.

For engineers, all you really have to know when writing something is to discuss what you did, how you did it, and what happened. Read some scientific journals and you'll know what I mean. I bet you could catch several gramatical errors in just about every article. A thesis or dissertation is no different. It may be for other majors. I'm sure you can't get away with such things when writing a dissertation for a PhD in sociology, but engineering, it doesn't have to be perfect.

thumbsup2.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

I took tech writing, it was a requirement. It was the easiest class I ever took.

For engineers, all you really have to know when writing something is to discuss what you did, how you did it, and what happened. Read some scientific journals and you'll know what I mean. I bet you could catch several gramatical errors in just about every article. A thesis or dissertation is no different. It may be for other majors. I'm sure you can't get away with such things when writing a dissertation for a PhD in sociology, but engineering, it doesn't have to be perfect.

thumbsup2.gif

Your attitude makes me sad.

chief.

hi.gif

this, coming from a guy who's more fond of ALLCAPS than a fourteen year old girl on a boy band fansite, no less

"i'm not here to be clever. "

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Your attitude makes me sad.

Did I say that I purpose make gramatical errors in my writing? Trust me, I try my best not to.

Am I upset that I made an error in my thread title? 893censored-thumb.gif no.

chief.

hi.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

B - I was just about to do that, you read my mind! 27_laughing.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

thumbsup2.gif

When you get out into the real world, I really hope, for your sake, that your attitude changes.

chief.

hi.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm not. confused-smiley-013.gif

it's just a happy circumstance acclaim.gif

Did I say that I purpose make gramatical errors in my writing? Trust me, I try my best not to.

Maybe you missed it, but there are several places in this thread where you say that bad grammar is totally acceptable for an engineer in even a professional capacity.

chief.

hi.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm not. confused-smiley-013.gif

it's just a happy circumstance acclaim.gif

tonofbricks.gif

Maybe you missed it, but there are several places in this thread where you say that bad grammar is totally acceptable for an engineer in even a professional capacity.

Okay, my fault. I did not mean acceptable. If it came off that way, I blame the orange juice which has been in my fridge way too long.

"Bad grammar" is bad, agreed. I couldn't get away with writing an entire paper full of errors. I'm not a [#@$%!!!] insufficiently_thoughtful_person. What I meant is that one or two errors in a 50+ page report ... pretty insignificant.

didn't you already change your name once over some drama? I'm not taking sides or picking on you but didn't you walk this path already? confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif I'm having fun egging these people on, don't ruin it for me gossip.gif

didn't you already change your name once over some drama? I'm not taking sides or picking on you but didn't you walk this path already? confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif I'm having fun egging these people on, don't ruin it for me gossip.gif

no worries, I think if they didn't fully band together with sharp sticks and torches they will after your last statement 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thank you all for chiming in about the importance of good grammar before the message board's resident grammarian got involved ( sumo.gif) and had to slay this guy.

So technical writing need not be perfect, erm, ok pal. It's only technical instructions, right? Who needs to know how to follow those?

Ever heard the reports about American intelligence mistranslating the japanese surrender message before bombing Hiroshima? I guess proper grammar wouldn't be important in that case either.

yeahok.gifforeheadslap.gifhi.gifforeheadslap.gifthumbsup2.gifforeheadslap.gif