• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four # 48

20 posts in this topic

hey guys i don't actually own this comic so i cant provide scans but i have some high res pictures. i want to buy this issue, theres two different sellers im looking at and each is in very similar condition and both unrestored and not graded. please compare each comic to each other and let me know which one you think is in better condition! heres the second one im looking at:

4_zpsimsbqdtp.jpg

5_zpscrilgsjo.jpg

6_zpsujo67f4n.jpg

7_zpsz7rp0iht.jpg

8_zps5fy8tea2.jpg

9_zpsqjo73z02.jpg

this one i feel is slightly poorer condition than the comic im comparing it to: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9617323#Post9617323

it has more wrinkles around the edges, the spine doesn't seem as tight and the color isn't as vibrant but its still in good condition and isn't missing any chunks from it like the other comic. can you guys give me a grade and compare it to the other FF #48 im looking at. thank you!

good call sassemble, i noticed it but i didn't pay much attention to it. ill ask the seller tomorrow if its ever been touched up. if it has been touched up you recommend i steer clear then correct?

Looks like you can see the color touch on the front cover, on the Watcher's arm.

Avoid this copy.

im glad i came here before buying anything! thanks guys heres a close up of the spot:

10_zpse9ywfgx8.jpg

definitely looks like some new ink but why would the restoration job be so poor? its just a huge ink splot LULZ!

do you guys feel the other comic from this thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9617323#Post9617323 is worth 200 dollars in its condition? thanks guys

buying a graded copy would be best but im noticing when they're professionally graded usually they go for higher prices. i did not want to go past $200 for this gift, but maybe ill keep waiting till something more ideal pops up.

thehumantorch you think even when a seller claims its unrestored its still possible something was done to it in its past to diminish its value? the one is this thread did not claim to be unrestored but they didn't mention anything of it being touched up. the comic in the other thread specifically said it was never touched though. you think i shouldn't trust it?

it's possible that the person selling the comic didn't personally do the restoration or realize it (more experienced sellers would know because they're aware of what to look for)

avoid this copy with the colour touch - if a VG is worth $200 without colour touch, you can bet that with colour touch it's probably worth 25-30% of $200.

Go for the other copy - or, as advised, buy a graded issue. You might be able to get a 3.0 for $200 or slightly more.

good call michelangelo. i really like the way the other FF 48 looks in the other thread, but now im paranoid its been messed with and i would be paying more than what its worth. it would be a xmas gift so i have time for something else to pop up.

if i bought the FF from the other thread and sent it in to be professionally graded they would immediately know if it had been restored in anyway correct? also how much is it to get CGC to grade your comic? thanks bros

so i took your guy's advice and bought a graded copy for $230:

20161103_182014_zps3iaml2sz.jpg

20161103_181957_zpsva3wjtxz.jpg20161103_181414_zpsfrioppcb.jpg20161103_181400_zpsgxkik3t6.jpg

the cgc case has a crack in the top left corner that made it very easy to get the comic out of the plastic case to look at. can i type the number above the bar code on the cgc website to make sure everything is legit? i got it on ebay and the seller is pretty amateur, terrible photos and no mention of the cracked case with very slow communication. im probably gonna ask for 10 bucks off for the case being cracked but i want your guy's opinion before i message him about anything. does everything here look legit? comic condition matches the score and the cgc case and rating seems genuine? thanks guys please let me know this is my first graded copy i bought online!

thanks oakman. does everything look legit? not some restored comic with a fake cgc rating or anything like that? im just paranoid since almost buying that ink touched up comic earlier in this thread, without you guys i wouldn't of had a clue!

thanks for the congrats grebal. the crack in the corner has made the entire left side no longer have a tight seal. i was able to separate the 2 pieces of the case about a cm and get the comic out very easy. the vacuum seal on the book itself definitely looks professional though. im probably just being paranoid, i just don't want to get ripped off LULZ! ill contact the seller tomorrow about the crack in the case. thanks for you help bros

thanks for the congrats grebal. the crack in the corner has made the entire left side no longer have a tight seal. i was able to separate the 2 pieces of the case about a cm and get the comic out very easy. the vacuum seal on the book itself definitely looks professional though. im probably just being paranoid, i just don't want to get ripped off LULZ! ill contact the seller tomorrow about the crack in the case. thanks for you help bros

I plead ignorance, can't help you on whether people can press into their own vaccum seal sleeves to look precisely like CGC.

I have one that slides out because of cracks in outer shell - a Hulk 102 in 8.5 that can be removed from the case because of cracks, still in the vacuum seal sleeve.

It has "old" label (which I tend to call "original" label). This is what mine looks like in sleeve for comparison.

KHC51pJ.jpg

f22tCjj.jpg

when did you buy your 7.5 oakman? and when you say old label you mean cgc label?

I bought that book in 2001 or 2002,been so long ago I forgot which. Yes CGC .

i think these awesome movies are bumping the prices up dude, and 01 02 is a while ago now!

nice hulk comic grebal!