• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can Somebody please shed some light for a newcomer

22 posts in this topic

The spine split on the Harbinger 1 is a very common defect. It was probably there before you mailed it in and due to years of stare lay flat. When the book was opened to count pages and check for resto it may have opened and become more apparent.

The other corners look like soft corners and not damaged from being dropped. This may have happened if the comics had room to shift inside the bags when shipped out to the graders.

The joys of your first submission.

When you talk about the spine split what you say makes sense and could have been possible. I didn't open the book (other than a crack to verify the coupon) and therefore it might not have been noticeable. I did inspect the spine though and didn't notice any color break. Maybe it's time to get glasses.

The corner on the Solar 10 was not like that. That comic is only worth the grading fees unless it comes in at a 9.6 or higher. With that beautiful (or really ugly, depends on preference) black cover that thing jumps out. This one was in a BCW holder.

Will be interested to see how the other 5 comics that were sent in with these three grade. None of the other 5 were in BCW holders. Will let everyone know in about 2 months.

By BCW holder are you referring to top loaders or turtleshells as they were once called?

If so than as someone else mentioned that could be the problem. If a book in a mylar has room to move in the top loader there could easily be damage to corners or edges. Any movement where a box shifts quickly could bump the edges of the book and yet the shipping box itself would show no damage.

For SA or MA books I will bag/board them then bag board them again in GA bags/boards. Slipping a second GA board over the front of the book. The GA boards and pressure from the bags tend to center the book. Then I'll sandwich the books between two oversized cardboard pieces. I don't like to stack more than two books together (between cardboard pieces). No movement is key.

+1 on these points. Following this to the letter will minimize the risk of internal movement.

Remember, internal movement is just as dangerous for your books as an external pounding.