• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with spotting trimming? Avengers #57

10 posts in this topic

Just posted this over at PGM, but wanted to see if anyone here could help too?

Maybe I'm been overly sensitive? But does the top and side look trimmed? I've been right and wrong about trimmed books in the past but wanted to get others opinion on this as this is one of the hardest restoration things to spot. I also checked out some of the Avengers 57 inventory at mycomicshop and the ones i thought were trimmed were blue label, so what do I know :P Thanks everyone!

w8uwjb.jpg

mtsc46.jpg

There is zero way to tell if a book was trimmed from a small 2 dimensional picture.

The only way to really tell is with the book in hand (unless the trim is blatant).

Hi Comic_Zone. Here is a sample I copied and pasted from a thread at the top of this forum.

2) Trimmed. If you press the book flat on a hard smooth surface and look along the edge, if the edges are all even the book HAS been trimmed. If you still think the book is trimmed after it passes this test then open the book up to the centerfol. Try very gently pressing it flat and see if there are signs of cutting (lighter edge colors, slight roughness, differences in overall color)

The thread has lots of great info. You can find it here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7257&fpart=1

Impossible to tell if it is trimmed from the picture.

In Hand:

To test the right side look at the book along the right edge, it should form a pyramid type of shape:

front cover |/\| back cover

The interior folded upon itself makes a pyramid shape because the folded pages stick out further as you approach the center.

+1 on the comments already made.

Make sure the seller takes returns and pay thru Paypal, with PP, you can always open a claim and force a return if the book is trimmed, up to 4 months, IIRC.

If you are buying from MCS, or pretty much any other reputable dealer, no worries.

Most legit dealers, if CGC/CBCS detects resto that they missed, they will buy the book back from you at the purchase price and reimburse you for grading fees.

I don't sell much in the way of raw books, but I know how to grade and detect resto....but if I miss resto, I offer that return on all raws that I sell.I am sure that any other boardie on here, who is a dealer, would offer the same.

Just posted this over at PGM, but wanted to see if anyone here could help too?

Maybe I'm been overly sensitive? But does the top and side look trimmed? I've been right and wrong about trimmed books in the past but wanted to get others opinion on this as this is one of the hardest restoration things to spot. I also checked out some of the Avengers 57 inventory at mycomicshop and the ones i thought were trimmed were blue label, so what do I know :P Thanks everyone!

w8uwjb.jpg

mtsc46.jpg

I don't see anything that would make me suspect trimming. You have more art on the spine coming in from the back, which would cause more art on the right edge to be cut off in trimming. Comparing similarly folded CGCd books. it looks OK. The book in hand may reveal something but just based, as you did, on pictures no red flags are raised.