• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What superhero is this Ice Girls costume? ... At the Coyotes hockey game and...

43 posts in this topic

PS: I love talking hockey so sorry if I'm coming on a bit strong. I find few people that know the game down here in the states.

Having said that, I live in the Capitols area, I guess. You'd be amazed by the Great Eights effect on the game. The program I coach with has gotten out of hand. It has really killed the start times of my beer league too.

What good would a team in Southern Ontario do? Canadians are quick to forget how much financial trouble OTT had and how the NHL had to rescue them from near bankruptcy. Or what about Vancouver? Heck, even EDM had had a lot of trouble. Let's not forget that the Canadian dollar is dropping significantly. Also, did you see the attendance at the WCOH? It goes to show that if it isn't a Leafs game, people don't turn out.

You also said a "majority" of revenue comes from ticket revenue. Your own statistics prove that wrong.

While I agree Bettman has done some odd things, he's grown the game exponentially. It probably is time for him to go and I imagine he will after the 100th season.

I specifically said southern Ontario because there is a lot of money there - it is not Ottawa, Edmonton etc

The WHOC is nothing but a cash grab so it's not a good example to use but I do understand your point.

But if you look online you will see that the CDN teams do generate a way bigger % of the league's revenue - I did a quick search and only found data from 4 years ago and the 6 CDN teams generated almost 33% of the league's income (yes this may/could have changed in the last 4 years but I doubt the % has changed that much)

And always great talking hockey no matter what our opinions are :foryou:

When you talk about hockey in the warmer climates of the US, I get the impression you are forgetting how many people move from the North and relocate in cities like Tampa and Phoenix.

I am a Blackhawks (grew up in Chicago), Lightning fan (lived there 29 years), and now live in Phoenix and go to about 10-14 games a season. As an indoor sport for the most part (unless you live in the frozen tundra)-- hockey can blossom just about anywhere. Maybe not to the level of Canada of course but all the same-- expanding and keeping these teams is essential if the NHL wants to expand the footprint for such an incredible game to watch (especially live).

anyway-- thanks to the person who figured out what the costume was supposed to be....

Originally Posted By: Plantman

This Instagram picture shows more detail. The Ice Girl was dressed as Rescue (Pepper Potts) but ditched the helmet for a headband.