• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many people here have both a buying & selling id on ebay?

42 posts in this topic

I have 3 i.d's - one main (tomega) for buying and moderate selling, one for mostly selling, and one for people who run scam auctions and I bid to find out who they are an dput a stop to them.

In my opinion, I would feel mislead if I was bidding on something being sold from someone who I knew had more ID's. IMHO.

Why? What difference does it make? Worried about shilling?

I have 3 i.d's - one main (tomega) for buying and moderate selling, one for mostly selling, and one for people who run scam auctions and I bid to find out who they are an dput a stop to them.

In my opinion, I would feel mislead if I was bidding on something being sold from someone who I knew had more ID's. IMHO.

I would wonder why a seller or bidder has so many ID's, for fear of some being used for dirty work, yes. Unless they all had spotless, positive records of 100% and 50 positive feedbacks each. Then, of course, I'd feel safe.

This is just my opinion mind you, not trying to intentionally rile anyone up tonight thumbsup2.gif

You've now taken your crusade against Hobgoblin to 1+ threads. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Here's the deal...

Having a buying id and selling id lets you leave "honest" feedback with your buying id without having to worry about some wanker ruin your hard earned selling reputation with retaliation feedback. I honestly don't care what people put on my buying id. I try to shoot straight with them but I don't want to fear leaving a neg. for some jackoff when he really screws the pooch.

By the way, tomega. You "regged" for the boards on my 24th birthday. thumbsup2.gif

I am not sure how you feel mislead, I do not see what difference it would make. You will find a lot eBay users have multiple user id's. Between my two main id's I have over 1800 positives and 6 negatives- not too shabby. My tomega id is the only one I use for comics. My scam buster id has a zero rating with one positive and one negative. I do not care how many id's someone has as long as the feedback is good and no shenanigans are going on.

I just checked my reg. date, I had not realized it has been that long already on this board for me, not nearly as long as eBay but longer then I thought.

You've now taken your crusade against Hobgoblin to 1+ threads. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Bah. I was just asking for clarification. I will leave the crusading to you. yay.gif

Having a buying id and selling id lets you leave "honest" feedback with your buying id without having to worry about some wanker ruin your hard earned selling reputation with retaliation feedback.

Now that I can understand. That's the clarification I needed. Makes perfect sense.

As someone who doesn't sell more than maybe 5-10 items in a given year, I just couldn't grasp the separate ID notion as easily. Now I fully understand.

I recently lost a few auctions I was bidding on. The winner won several of the dealers auctions and also had left the dealer more than half a dozen fb already. Given the winner had lowfeedback and I got a second chance offer on a long run I couldn't help but wonder if the winner was just a schill account and someone had gotten greedy.

I can see why you'd want a buying ID if you sold regularly. A book i recieved recently was just so far away from what was described I am pretty sure I'll be leaving badfeed and imagine I will get retalitory fb. I f I sold I would want to insulate myself from that BS otherwise just the fact you are a seller buying the book leaves the door open to feedback extortion if you get something less than what was advertised. In my case it was one of the first books I bought on EBAY and I hadnt been looking at the scans with image magnification. Shame on me for not seeing the blunting on 2 corners on my "NM" book...shame on the seller for not mentioning 5 color color breaks over .125 long on the spine...it's not like He couldnt see them.

Here's the deal...

Having a buying id and selling id lets you leave "honest" feedback with your buying id without having to worry about some wanker ruin your hard earned selling reputation with retaliation feedback. I honestly don't care what people put on my buying id. I try to shoot straight with them but I don't want to fear leaving a neg. for some jackoff when he really screws the pooch.

Here's the deal.... although I don't really care what anybody else does with their accounts or how many they have, I'm surprised at how important it is to some people to have spotless feedback and the lengths at which they go to maintain it. Sure, alot of negs can hurt a reputation, but I could care less if I have one or two negs per hundred positives and it makes zero difference to me if I'm a buyer and the seller has a couple negs per hundred when I'm buying something.

Unfortunately there is alot of retaliation going on with Ebay, most Ebayers realize this, and there are also some buyers that just can't be pleased. It just bugs me to see people playing games with feedback and various accounts in order to either leave or avoid negative feedback. In my opinion it just adds to the problem. However, as I said, I really don't care what other people do, just wanted to state my views on the matter. I also leave all positive feedback immediately upon receiving payment and never worry about what the buyer will leave me. If he has a problem, and it has happened, I try to fix it, if not and he leaves me a neg, so be it, the next 100-200 will be positives and that one neg really doesn't make a difference.

Well I can see how some might be leary of a seller shilling his own auctions with a new or seldom used id. Or if the id has both buyer AND seller items listed.

But if the id's are truly used for either buying or selling exclusively I do not see a problem. Some people like to keep them seperate.. be free to leave negs without fear of retaliatory negs as a buyer.

To me it is not a big deal.

One must not forget you can view a persons type of feedback left by others.

Buyer

Seller

I personally as a buyer have several negs left on my id, ALL of them are retaliatory from sellers I left negs for who rightfully deserved it.

As a seller.. I have a perfect feedback. And state that in any auctions I might hold. Negs like Plods should not be such a bad word... but more a way of informing people of the facts, and letting them form their own conclusions.

I personally do not really care all that much if a buyer/seller has a few negs, if the seller/buyer looks legit.. and the negs left do not form a bad pattern, I let it slide.

It is hard for me to place so much stock in a feedback system that is not perfect.

It really is a gamble on Ebay eitherway..but sometimes the odds can favor you if you play your cards right.

Ze-

Unfortunately there is alot of retaliation going on with Ebay, most Ebayers realize this, and there are also some buyers that just can't be pleased. It just bugs me to see people playing games with feedback and various accounts in order to either leave or avoid negative feedback. In my opinion it just adds to the problem. However, as I said, I really don't care what other people do, just wanted to state my views on the matter. I also leave all positive feedback immediately upon receiving payment and never worry about what the buyer will leave me. If he has a problem, and it has happened, I try to fix it, if not and he leaves me a neg, so be it, the next 100-200 will be positives and that one neg really doesn't make a difference.

My feelings exactly... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

One factor is that if a seller has two accounts, they can use the other account to up the bids on their own.

But on these boards they would probably get sniffed out eventually. If your a regular you could probably only get away with it a few times before smeone will notice. The way I see it, if you have nice stuff put a reserve that you are happy with and it will sell. If it doesn't then either relist it later or hang on to it for a while.