• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What point deduction for one popped staple

47 posts in this topic

Is it possible that they didn't recognize the Pedigree at the time?

They recognized it, it was on the label as a 9.2 . This incident causes me to laugh at all these 'what is the highest grade with this flaw' type of questions. Do people actually think CGC has a documented set of standards ? It's just an opinion, at that moment in time, for a couple of graders. New dawn, different graders, different time of day, maybe a different opinion.

They recognized it, it was on the label as a 9.2 . This incident causes me to laugh at all these 'what is the highest grade with this flaw' type of questions. Do people actually think CGC has a documented set of standards ? It's just an opinion, at that moment in time, for a couple of graders. New dawn, different graders, different time of day, maybe a different opinion.

I would add that as new information comes to light and new situations arise the rules may need to be amended.

For example, writing on a cover SHOULD be downgraded for but I also agree that if the writing is special (for example a Pedigree or a Pay Copy) then I don't believe the book should be penalized by it. The writing is what makes it special IMO.

I know some will disagree but that's the beauty of business (and politics). You can't please everyone so you just choose to do what works for most people.

I would add that as new information comes to light and new situations arise the rules may need to be amended.

For example, writing on a cover SHOULD be downgraded for but I also agree that if the writing is special (for example a Pedigree or a Pay Copy) then I don't believe the book should be penalized by it. The writing is what makes it special IMO.

I know some will disagree but that's the beauty of business (and politics). You can't please everyone so you just choose to do what works for most people.

Hey, I totally agree with the comment that writing should be downgraded, also agree that the 'rules' need to be amended. My example on the pedigree was not meant to complain, just to point out that these 'standards' everyone seems to think exist are moving targets. To show 13 year old examples of popped staples grading is not relevant for today.

This is the book from my collection that i throw out whenever this topic comes up.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=7719&GSub=632

It is a 9.0, maybe 9.2 structurally, and the popped staple is very very neat. It does not stick out or flare or curl, like many of them do. I think it is a good example of "minimum" impact to the grade of a popped staple. I think it was graded in 2010, so it's a little bit younger than some examples.

But is the staple completely popped or is it just popped along one side of the staple (while still attached underneath the staple)?