• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Black Widow (2010) #1 (trying to learn how to grade)

8 posts in this topic

Hope this is okay. I'm posting two copies of the same issue sourced from ebay. Surprise, surprise, they're overgraded (imho).

I have absolutely no experience when it comes to grading so I thought I'd turn to the board and treat this as a learning experience. What grade would you give these and why?

Copy A - Large (693x1024)

Copy A

Front Cover

WXKDVAzh.jpg

Back Cover

GY5BySHh.jpg

Copy A - Original Size (2200x3250)

Copy A

Front Cover

WXKDVAz.jpg

Back Cover

GY5BySH.jpg

Copy B - Large (693x1024)

Copy B

Additional Notes:

• ~1 1/2" to 2" non-color breaking crease across Iron Man's helmet (front cover)
  • 1x ~1/4" non-color breaking spine stress (front cover)
  • 2x ~1/8" non-color breaking spine stress (front cover)
  • bottom of back cover curved slightly outwards (sorry, not sure what term to use, it's as if the book was stored upright without backing board)

Front Cover

UCxYqMth.jpg

Back Cover

Wm1rftRh.jpg

Copy B - Original Size (2200x3250)

Copy B

Additional Notes:

• ~1 1/2" to 2" non-color breaking crease across Iron Man's helmet (front cover)
  • 1x ~1/4" non-color breaking spine stress (front cover)
  • 2x ~1/8" non-color breaking spine stress (front cover)
  • bottom of back cover curved slightly outwards (sorry, not sure what term to use, it's as if the book was stored upright without backing board)

Front Cover

UCxYqMt.jpg

Back Cover

Wm1rftR.jpg

I'm not really super grade-conscious but I want a copy that presents much nicer than these. There's really not much demand for this title but I'm having a hard time finding this in high grade and no one's selling CGC copies it seems. MCS/Lone Star has copies in Fine. Do you think those might be in better condition? Mile High also has some copies in Near Mint but I've never bought from them before.

Alternately, would submitting either of these to CCS for pressing and dry cleaning help? Thanks!

I would put copy A at about VF. The cover looks nice but has some rubs near the staples and along the top edge. Back cover shows lot of surface wear like it was rubbing against another book for quite sometime.

Copy B VF/NM. This copy has a nicer front cover (but still has rubs from another book), and has the mentioned defects along with some color breaking spine ticks on the back cover. There also looks to be a color breaking spine stress on the back cover to the left of "DEAD"

I would put copy A at about VF. The cover looks nice but has some rubs near the staples and along the top edge. Back cover shows lot of surface wear like it was rubbing against another book for quite sometime.

Copy B VF/NM. This copy has a nicer front cover (but still has rubs from another book), and has the mentioned defects along with some color breaking spine ticks on the back cover. There also looks to be a color breaking spine stress on the back cover to the left of "DEAD"

Thank you for the grades!

That's interesting. Seems like they're not overgraded then (those were the grades given in the ebay listings). They're just sorely lacking in eye appeal. Curious, how do those grades translate to the 10-point grading system? Because they don't seem like they would pass for VF 8.0 and VF/NM 9.0 respectively.

Viewing the original 2200x3250 (300 dpi) scans on an iPad and comparing it with the physical copies, there were no noticeable scanning artifacts. If something looks like a defect, then it likely is one.

I only have a document scanner so if anything, I think the scanner may have actually filtered out some of the dirt/rubs. Actually had to write down additional notes for Copy B because there were some non-color breaking creases/spine stress that are not visible in the scan.

Honestly, it's the dirt/rubbing and crease on the front cover that bothers me most. Aside from that, I'm okay with Copy B (Copy A is supposed to be my reader). Think I might just submit this for dry cleaning and pressing.

Thanks for the replies! :)