• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #215; Any Help? SPOILERS

15 posts in this topic

So, just read 215, the last of the very long drawn-out story. I must say that I finally understand it somewhat. It's still vague and a blurry mess without going back and re-reading the previous 11 issues. Gotta love Jim Lee though. I was excited when I saw Lee drawn Flash and other JLA members in the background on the cover, but alas they were no where to be found in the book. frown.gif

So, what did any one else think of the story now that it's over? How about the new Fortess of Solitude? Anyone going to continue to read the new arc in 217?

I wish i could be of some help, but I gotta say I have next to no idea what

that was all about. confused-smiley-013.gif Part of me wants to dig out the rest of the issues and re-read

them, but I don't think it would be worth the time. A really disappointing run, Jim Lee or not.. Christo_pull_hair.gif

this was by far the WORST highly touted and expected miniseries ever produced and rammed down our eager throats! Given the talent involved, this was the ISHTAR of comics. or the 1941 of comics. As shockingly and disappointingly bad and unfathomable as Millers RONIN.

I can sum it all up in one word: whaaaaaa??

this was by far the WORST highly touted and expected miniseries ever produced and rammed down our eager throats! Given the talent involved, this was the ISHTAR of comics. or the 1941 of comics. As shockingly and disappointingly bad and unfathomable as Millers RONIN.

Regretfully, you are right on this one, it is the "Heaven's Gate" of Comics. foreheadslap.gif Live and Learn, Live & Learn.

Just read it yesterday. I'm a big Azzarello supporter and figured there would be some big twist. Instead, I was left scratching my head as well. confused.gif

Extremely disappointing and confusing.

Maybe this was Azz's way of telling DC he was really serious when he said he didn't want to write a Superman book.

Maybe. The story is wacked, but I'll try

You have to reassemble the chronological order-- the earlier parts are only revealed in the next to last issue.

Supes & Lois are considering having a baby. Supes is haunted by the possibility that what happened to Krypton might happen to Earth. His father saved him from his home world's destruction, would Supes be able to do the same for his children? How about Lois? Rather than build a rocket ship, Supes invents or re-creates a Phantom Zone projector. Presumably he populates it with Super-robots of Jor-El, Lara, Clark Kent etc. Then he wills himself to forget all about this (a new super-power: super-amnesia! screwy.gif)

Somehow, the Phantom Zone projector gets activated (maybe someone else can identify if this is explained in the story). It Vanishes a large segment of the population, including Lois. This sets up the first half of the arc, where I think Azz is trying for a 911/Iraqi-Freedom parallel: To prevent another Vanishing (what he believes is a 911-style tragedy), Supes takes on the GWB role and, taking matters into his own hands, invades that middle-eastern dictatorship stand-in for Iraq. The JLA takes on the UN role, and is dead-set against it. Supes says "Trust me I know what I'm doing." WW tries to stop him, destroying the Fortress. Supes uses what he still does not recognize as a Phantom Zone projector to Vanish himself.

Meanwhile, Supes new friend the Priest has been infected with cancer by the shadowy organization involved with Checkmate in this upcoming Crisis crossover. To "cure" him, he is turned into one of their new OMACs?

When Supes arrives in the Phantom Zone, he meets Lois, who reminds him of where they are and how Supes created the technology to get them there. They find that the Zone is already inhabited by General Zod, sent there by Jor-El years ago. A big battle ensues, somehow setting up the destruction of the Phantom Zone world. Supes sends the Phantom Zone projector back to Earth to his friend the Priest for safe-keeping. The Priest uses it to escape from his captors to the Zone, where he sacrifices himself to battle the Eqqus monster. Zod refuses Supes' help, and stays behind as the Phantom Zone collapses around him. Supes realizes all this was set in motion by his own fear of death (of his parents and prospectively of his children), but death is inevitable, endings are inevitable, you can't avoid them, but like the Priest you can sometimes choose how to write your ending...

As a result of the arc, several things are set up for new storylines:

- Supes and Lois' thoughts about children

- the new Fortress of Solitude

- Supes as an internationally-controversial figure (a loose cannon?)

- conflict between Supes & WW

- the new, new OMAC to replace the Priest

- General Zod will no doubt be back at some point

How'd I do?

I liked RONIN!

This... I may read again just to be sure about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zonker, pretty good synopsis of the story!

From what I can recall the mid-eastern dictator got hold of the phantom zone device and Supes took it back first meeting Equis. Also I have to say I really ecpected the OMAC guy to be Ted Kord when he woke and was wondering where he was. Of course this was before I read OMAC Project and found that they incinerated Beetle's body.

The story was mediocre at best with the first couple of issues really dragging on with Supes moral conversations with the Priest! 893blahblah.gif

Thanks, that helped. So all these thing WILL be set in motion, or COULD be set in motion????confused.giffrustrated.gif

Oh, I see what you're asking... since this takes place "a year later" than other Superman continuity, does that mean it is a possible future timeline that may not turn out to be canonical?

I think the answer is that the DC books are now all caught up with each other again as of the Countdown to Infinite Crisis mini-series, so this Superman arc took place "just a little while ago," while the other Superman stories took place "over a year ago." I seriously doubt you'll see references to "the Vanishing" popping up in all the DC books over the next few months.

But maybe I'm wrong, and this whole arc is just a possible future that gets wiped out by the upcoming Infinite Crisis crossover? insane.gif

Maybe. The story is wacked, but I'll try

You have to reassemble the chronological order-- the earlier parts are only revealed in the next to last issue.

Supes & Lois are considering having a baby. Supes is haunted by the possibility that what happened to Krypton might happen to Earth. His father saved him from his home world's destruction, would Supes be able to do the same for his children? How about Lois? Rather than build a rocket ship, Supes invents or re-creates a Phantom Zone projector. Presumably he populates it with Super-robots of Jor-El, Lara, Clark Kent etc. Then he wills himself to forget all about this (a new super-power: super-amnesia! screwy.gif)

Somehow, the Phantom Zone projector gets activated (maybe someone else can identify if this is explained in the story). It Vanishes a large segment of the population, including Lois. This sets up the first half of the arc, where I think Azz is trying for a 911/Iraqi-Freedom parallel: To prevent another Vanishing (what he believes is a 911-style tragedy), Supes takes on the GWB role and, taking matters into his own hands, invades that middle-eastern dictatorship stand-in for Iraq. The JLA takes on the UN role, and is dead-set against it. Supes says "Trust me I know what I'm doing." WW tries to stop him, destroying the Fortress. Supes uses what he still does not recognize as a Phantom Zone projector to Vanish himself.

Meanwhile, Supes new friend the Priest has been infected with cancer by the shadowy organization involved with Checkmate in this upcoming Crisis crossover. To "cure" him, he is turned into one of their new OMACs?

When Supes arrives in the Phantom Zone, he meets Lois, who reminds him of where they are and how Supes created the technology to get them there. They find that the Zone is already inhabited by General Zod, sent there by Jor-El years ago. A big battle ensues, somehow setting up the destruction of the Phantom Zone world. Supes sends the Phantom Zone projector back to Earth to his friend the Priest for safe-keeping. The Priest uses it to escape from his captors to the Zone, where he sacrifices himself to battle the Eqqus monster. Zod refuses Supes' help, and stays behind as the Phantom Zone collapses around him. Supes realizes all this was set in motion by his own fear of death (of his parents and prospectively of his children), but death is inevitable, endings are inevitable, you can't avoid them, but like the Priest you can sometimes choose how to write your ending...

As a result of the arc, several things are set up for new storylines:

- Supes and Lois' thoughts about children

- the new Fortress of Solitude

- Supes as an internationally-controversial figure (a loose cannon?)

- conflict between Supes & WW

- the new, new OMAC to replace the Priest

- General Zod will no doubt be back at some point

How'd I do?

WOW!! that makes sense and sounds great!!

when is it coming out? I cant wait to see it. Maybe theyll get Jim Lee to pencil it too!!! Hope he can lay it out so it makes sense and the actual dialogue spells it all out for us so we can enjoy the plot twists and drama you describe so well.

ha ha

I liked RONIN!

This... I may read again just to be sure about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sorry - - figured adding RONIN would pissoff a few fans. but I was lost by the middle of the 2nd issue...