• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does CGC handle books while grading in general?

15 posts in this topic

When CGC graders look at books, what steps do they take to avoid things like fingerprints, ink smudging, indents, etc.? This is just a general question, but I have submitted several of the DC foil editions recently and those things dent, and fingerprint like crazy. I was excessively anal and actually carefully wiped down each book, and then did not touch them again before submitting. It just got me thinking how much care do the graders actually take for all books.

Well, they wear gloves and they generally know how to handle books.

Mistakes happen but I've certified 1000's of books and problems generally few and far in between in my opinion.

Mistakes happen but I've certified 1000's of books and problems generally few and far in between in my opinion.

That is what I hoped somebody would say. Thank you. I assume that CGC is not out to damage books (although accidents can happen), because it would kill their business model really quickly.

That is what I hoped somebody would say. Thank you. I assume that CGC is not out to damage books (although accidents can happen), because it would kill their business model really quickly.

Well, I think they're up to 4 Million books now. I'd assume if they were damaging lots of books they wouldn't have come this far along.

Well, I think they're up to 4 Million books now. I'd assume if they were damaging lots of books they wouldn't have come this far along.

I would rather have someone at CGC handle my books than myself. This is what they do. I am curious as to how/where books are stored prior to being graded. If a book gets damaged I would think its more likely to happen while being moved around before its graded. With the number of books they do they've got to be moving books all day every day.

I would rather have someone at CGC handle my books than myself. This is what they do. I am curious as to how/where books are stored prior to being graded. If a book gets damaged I would think its more likely to happen while being moved around before its graded. With the number of books they do they've got to be moving books all day every day.

I believe hat CGC keeps the books is a climate controlled locked room, and attempts to handle ad little as possible.

It's not the graders you have to worry about. It's the wearhouse guys or the mimimum wage workers who are hired to help out at cons that don't know a lot about comics.

A trusted facilitator friend of mine has had nightmares lately when it comes to subbing books at cons. He painstakingly goes thru every book and pre screens. He's had so many books sent back really damaged. I know for a fact he would never sub books like this. Costs a lot of money to which is unfortunate. All we can figure is that boxes aren't being packed or shipped properly by cgc after a con or they have some clumsy wearhouse guys.

Comics probably are more prone to mishandling when submitting at cons. The staffers at a convention are usually hurried and are perhaps not always experienced in how to properly handle a comic book.

A major dealer recently warned me to make sure I double-board any books to be dropped off for grading at a convention.

Comics probably are more prone to mishandling when submitting at cons. The staffers at a convention are usually hurried and are perhaps not always experienced in how to properly handle a comic book.

A major dealer recently warned me to make sure I double-board any books to be dropped off for grading at a convention.

Unfortunately, I think this is true. They are out of their element and everything is simply chaotic. I once had a book, slabbed onsite, come back with a nice size cookie crumb in the inner well. At first they said they would take it back home and send it to me but realizing a cookie has oil I pleaded with them to fix it immediately, to which they obliged. I just don't think something like this would have happened in Sarasota. It's really amazing more accidents don't happen onsite = they really do a good job considering.

Unfortunately, I think this is true. They are out of their element and everything is simply chaotic. I once had a book, slabbed onsite, come back with a nice size cookie crumb in the inner well. At first they said they would take it back home and send it to me but realizing a cookie has oil I pleaded with them to fix it immediately, to which they obliged. I just don't think something like this would have happened in Sarasota. It's really amazing more accidents don't happen onsite = they really do a good job considering.

doh!