• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze PGX 9.9 = ? CGC

5 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experiences with PGX books graded 9.9 and submitting them to CGC? What do you believe would be the CGC grade for an early 1970s bronze age book? I know that it depends on the book, but any general theories out there on how bronze grading compares between the two companies? It seems that I've heard of a lot more PGX 9.8s and few 9.9s which leads me to believe they are more like 9.6s and 9.8s in CGC respectively, and there aren't many bronze CGC 9.9s. Any experiences? What do you think? Does CGC even let you send in a PGX slab for regrading?

If you sent a PGX 9.9 slab to CGC for grading, there is no way in the world you would get a 9.9 CGC slab back. Sets a bad precident for them. The differences between a 9.8 and 9.9 are so small that even if you cracked the slab you would unlikely get the 9.9.

Is this regarding the GSX 1?

Dont know about a PGX 9.9, but from experience in the past, I have had a PGX 8.5 come back CGC 9.4, also a few PGX 9.2 come back 9.6 and some came back the exact same grade confused-smiley-013.gif

I tend to agree. It is difficult to get the same higher grade once it reaches that high level, and there is the possiblilty of damage to the book. Do you mean by "precedent" that CGC would not want the reputation of giving 9.9 so easily to a bronze age 1970s book? It does not seem like they award this grade often to these types of books. Any other opinions?