• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there anyone here with a good knowledge on sports card grading?

42 posts in this topic

I mainly try and purchase vintage cards made before 1970 and on anything I've ever graded I used PSA.

It was a real eye opening experience about 6 years ago when I started getting cards graded. My 5s were 3s, my 8s were 6s and so on. I have gotten better but by better if I submit 50 cards maybe 25 are what I think while 20 are a grade or 2 lower and maybe 5 slightly higher.

Now trying to figure out how to price a card is difficult as you can see 15 of that card in that grade in completed auctions and hammer prices are all over the place.

I did recently get an Upper Deck Griffey Jr. card PSA graded and about fell out of my chair when I checked online and it got a 10.

I've thought about sending it to Beckett so they can grade the corners, centering etc and maybe turn a $400 PSA 10 into $1000+ BCS card.

Cards can be a fun hobby but like comics knowledge comes slowly. Couple years ago I purchased some 1962 Post Cereal football cards. After purchasing them I found some of them were on small boxes like Grape Nuts and other small boxes that kids hated so not many of those players that were on those boxes made it to homes. To my surprise I found out Dave Baker is near impossible to get and I had one that was neatly cut so even though I had never heard of Dave Baker I'm hanging onto this one.

baker_zpsmlmeiyau.jpg