• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Stories of Your Youth or Wax Nostalgic Time

32 posts in this topic

This thread has taken on a Dad spin, so let me unwind it. lol My Dad never bought me a comic book in his life, and I doubt he ever read one.

I however, was the insufferable child who spent every dime he made from his paper route on comics. And as my route grew and I had more money than comics being printed each month, I saved up my money for what would become the cornerstone of the Tomato Box collection.

I started buying comics when I was eleven (1967). I couldn't get enough. One day in the summer of 1968, when I was leafing through the Rockville Reminder (the local Craig's list of the time) I came across "comic collection for sale". I talked a friend's brother into driving us to Rockville to look at the collection. This was before longboxes and bags and boards. Their were 4 cardboard boxes of Marvels from 1963 to 1968, about 600 books. I was able to buy these for $150 (more or less twice cover price, except for the 25-centers (which were cover) and my collection was firmly started. Every Marvel title except Spider-man (which he kept and only sold me his dupes #10 23 39, if I recall correctly).

Needless to say I was ecstatic! :cloud9: When I got home, and my brother told my parents that I had just spent the $150 I had saved on comic books! My mom and dad went absolutely nuts on me! I do believe I was grounded for two weeks to teach me a lesson on how to spend my hard-earned money. Fast forward - those 4 boxes of comics (some of which I still have) sold for well in excess of $10K in 2001-2002. :acclaim: I continued to buy every Marvel title off the shelf through my Junior year in college (1976). only to hedge from that practice once the cover prices went to $.35 and they started putting those stoopid bar codes on the front covers. :pullhair:

I called my dad in 2001, after I sold one of my Hulk 181s for $2200 (a record sale at the time) and told him I didn't do so bad for a book that I bought for $.25. Long story short - never underestimate your kids. :grin:

I stumbled across the Tomato Box Suspense thread this week...

... at least you didn't stumble across the Tomato Box itself..... you may have hurt yourself :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:)
good times...nostalgic..it was what,2009?

I think it was 2006, but these were the real good old days See how we all got along so well? :grin: Miss those times too guys.

I only joined late 2008...found it!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=147191&Number=2868427#top

As a child, I spent my summers with my Granny and Grandad Clark in Varney, W.Va. and in Dandridge, Tenn. They didn't have a whole lot of money, so when they bought me comics, I held onto them because they were really special to me.

As I got older and my grandparents are no longer with me, I have since gone back and tried to find pieces of original art from several of those issues.

The first I was able to find was the cover to Flash 323 by Carmine Infantino and Rodin Rodriguez and featuring the Flash vs. Reverse Flash image that is now classic.

Another was the cover art to Doom Patrol 1 by Steve Lightle.

Years later, after my brother passed away and I was going through the comics he'd given me when we were kids, I started searching for original art from the comics he collected and was able to get the original art to the splash page of Kull The Destroyer 26 by Ernie Chan and Rudy Nebres.

Now, as my parents get older, I'm searching out pages and covers from comics my dad and mom bought me. So far, I've been able to buy a few and I'm working on adding more to my collection.

These comics, no matter how over-read and ragged they are, mean so much to me and it is really special being able to get original art from some of those comics. It's really cool owning an original piece of a memory that is so special to me.

:)
good times...nostalgic..it was what,2009?

I think it was 2006, but these were the real good old days See how we all got along so well? :grin: Miss those times too guys.

I only joined late 2008...found it!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=147191&Number=2868427#top

Ah, I forgot about that thread - that was was fun! :D

A lot of great memories and stories. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Here's a not so great one.

So, as mentioned in my first post, my older brother got me into comics. I never really got to read his old issues because they got stolen. I think the story went that instead of having them packed with the rest of the stuff when we moved to Hawaii, he left them in the car (which was shipped to Hawaii) and they were never seen again.

Still residing in Hawaii at the time, one day I get home from school, and found out my older brother (8 years older) had been arrested. Gasp and WTH! Shoplifting. And yup, you guessed it, comics. He was heading home from school with some comics he had borrowed. He put them under his shirt as he and some friends went into the store. An employee saw him and accused him of stealing. He cleverly pointed out that the dates on the comics he had were much older and not the current issues on the stands. But alas, to no avail, they detained him and called our parents. I guess they eventually believed him and dismissed the whole thing, but I bet it sure it was scary for him.