• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOLD CONNECTIONS
17 17

26,544 posts in this topic

Back to brain and shriveled body in nonsensical pose under semi-domed glass...

ba64fb16-e9b6-4b20-a483-f62df691b18b_zps85898721.jpg

That cover is just wrong :o

Glad he didn't use as much creativity on Marvel Comics #1 - assuming it is Frank Paul on the Amazing Stories.

I don't know what the connection is but for some reason those remind me of these...

heartandsoul01.jpg

heartandsoul02.jpg

Not only have I never seen these, I have never even heard of the publisher. Just Andru and Esposito's first names I guess.

Cool.

I don't know what the connection is but for some reason those remind me of these...

heartandsoul01.jpg

heartandsoul02.jpg

Not only have I never seen these, I have never even heard of the publisher. Just Andru and Esposito's first names I guess.

Cool.

They also did the Mad knockoff called Get Lost.

I'd love to see someone do "Ruth Barrows to Ruth Barrows!"

Another name I've seen on quite a few romance books is Doreen Baggs. I've only got one of her books, but don't have a scan handy. I've seen more than a few others turn up on eBay.

How about, "Books with original owners' names written on them"?

starspangled54.jpg

I have saved this comic since 1991 as it was part of the first original owner GA collection we ever bought for the store. Denny Cobb was in his early 80s when he walked into a friend's shop with Batman 1-50, Detective 75 - 140, and some various World's Finest and Star Spangled comics. All of them had his name on the cover. My friend gave me a shout and the two of us negotiated a deal with Mr. Cobb to purchase the collection and split it. At one point my friend said to Denny "We would have paid you a lot more money if you hadn't written your name all over these." Denny replied, "If I didn't write my name on them my friends would have stolen them and you wouldn't be able to buy them at all!"

How about, "Books with original owners' names written on them"?

starspangled54.jpg

I have saved this comic since 1991 as it was part of the first original owner GA collection we ever bought for the store. Denny Cobb was in his early 80s when he walked into a friend's shop with Batman 1-50, Detective 75 - 140, and some various World's Finest and Star Spangled comics. All of them had his name on the cover. My friend gave me a shout and the two of us negotiated a deal with Mr. Cobb to purchase the collection and split it. At one point my friend said to Denny "We would have paid you a lot more money if you hadn't written your name all over these." Denny replied, "If I didn't write my name on them my friends would have stolen them and you wouldn't be able to buy them at all!"

Great story, Pat! Like you (and many regulars on this thread, I suspect) I'm old school and do not like writing on books. But more and more, at least with GA, having the historical provenance of an OA's owner on the book bothers me less than the idea of having a book autographed. No offense to any sig series fans, but the point is I am warming to OA provenance.