• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was Barack Obama's first appearance?

97 posts in this topic

Interesting that this thread is still up.

I guess it is only a politics thread if you're asking about first appearances of candidates from the wrong party.

I would think it's a politics thread when politics is being discussed.

That would be the logical deduction. But I saw at least the last Donald Trump first appearance thread, and there was nothing political about it. And yet, it got yanked.

Well, for that OP and anyone curious about political commentary about comic appearances here is a list: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/donald-trump-comics.html

Fixed.

It would have been nice to just post the list, I think. Just my opinion.

Then please just keep it to yourself. I didn't write the article and I didn't have the time to type out a separate list and had no desire to delve into the political leanings of it one way or the other. A question was asked, there was an article floating around that gave an answer, simple as that. Easy enough to pick out appearances without getting into the author's drivel.

A little over reaction. Not having time but posting an obvious political link anyway. A question was asked. It is appearance of the answer that was best not presented via an obvious political link. Intent is not the issue. I found 4 locations that listed the appearances without any gobbledygook, and I know nothing about comics and enjoy learning about them and maybe delving into the hobby a little. I do not care either about the political leanings of individuals. I do think that it would have been nice to just post the list, and not have an appearance of any intent on such a sensitive issue. That is my opinion. If it is offensive to you, it is what it is.

I appreciate your opinion and comments and take them at face value. I have no reason not to. You don't have to keep your opinion to yourself, either.

I guess it is only a politics thread if you're asking about first appearances of candidates from the wrong party.

That would be the logical deduction. But I saw at least the last Donald Trump first appearance thread, and there was nothing political about it. And yet, it got yanked.

Well, for that OP and anyone curious about political commentary about comic appearances here is a list: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/donald-trump-comics.html

Fixed.

Then please just keep it to yourself. I didn't write the article and I didn't have the time to type out a separate list and had no desire to delve into the political leanings of it one way or the other. A question was asked, there was an article floating around that gave an answer, simple as that. Easy enough to pick out appearances without getting into the author's drivel.

A little over reaction. Not having time but posting an obvious political link anyway. A question was asked. It is appearance of the answer that was best not presented via an obvious political link. Intent is not the issue. I found 4 locations that listed the appearances without any gobbledygook, and I know nothing about comics and enjoy learning about them and maybe delving into the hobby a little. I do not care either about the political leanings of individuals. I do think that it would have been nice to just post the list, and not have an appearance of any intent on such a sensitive issue. That is my opinion. If it is offensive to you, it is what it is.

I appreciate your opinion and comments and take them at face value. I have no reason not to. You don't have to keep your opinion to yourself, either.

I'll concede to your point that there may have been better articles out there. As I said, the question was asked by the OP (in those two other threads), no one appeared to have ever given an answer, I did a quick search and perhaps didn't vet the article enough, only that it gave a list of appearances, but look, we're all adults here (or should be as far as we know) and can read over something and pick out pertinant information for ourselves while disregarding the rest of it, if it is of no use to us. As for overreaction, when you write "Fixed" on anyone's post and then proceed to put words in their mouth, I think they have the right to have a reaction, little or otherwise.

Fixed.

I'll concede to your point that there may have been better articles out there. As I said, the question was asked by the OP, no one appeared to have ever given an answer, I did a quick search and didn't vet the article enough, only that it gave a list of appearances. As for overreaction, when you write "Fixed" on anyone's post and then proceed to put words in their mouth, I think they have the right to have a reaction, little or otherwise.

I certainly concede your point. The fixed thing is done all the time and in the majority of times not with malice. Mine was not intended to be either. In this situation, and not knowing anything about you or having any previous personal conversation, it certainly is fair to have taken my post as a snarky shot. I can only state it was not. It was an opinion that persons could view the link and not be thrilled with the political aspect presented, and done so on this thread, which could easily be interpreted as heading that way. I apologize for misleading you and appearing to be a board mommy. I have been caught up in the political strike thing and it guides my thoughts sometimes.

Also, you are bigger than me. I am basically a coward. I will grovel if you ask.....

1st Obama is Licensable Bear #4.

The first one went bad and was removed. The second one was pulled because the mods don't take kindly to people duplicating threads that were removed.

I was OP for both Trump 1st appearance threads, and I didn't even get to see any of the comments in the first thread. All I knew is that they yanked it. The second thread was all above board, as Lazyboy said, all about comics history (FYI first Trump is probably World War 3 Illustrated #10, still need visual confirmation, working on getting a copy of it).

I received a private warning PM about the second thread, and I asked for the rationale for pulling the second thread. Response: "While referencing a character, these are real political people, which is not allowed on the boards."

My response: "So, again, not to be belligerent, but how do any of the Obama books or books with Hitler on the cover or any other political figure in comics get discussed on this forum? Shouldn't a thread be judged on its content? If you actually looked at what was being discussed on the second Trump thread, it was a discussion of comic book history and had ZERO to do with politics. I just don't get how you can, in good conscience, censor a discussion of comic book history that does not veer into political opinions."

I have no personal political/ideological interest in promoting Trump, but not being able to discuss comics history on the CGC forum is pretty terrible.

Doesn't surprise me at all, the mods and moderation on this board is disgusting and the worst I have ever seen on any forum, as I often point out. The same person who deleted your threads, anonymously, with no accountability to the users they moderate, could very well have been in the thread arguing with you, or one of their buddies was, or they were just butthurt.

Even if the mods have to hide their real identities (cowardly tbh) to prevent personal accountability, the moderation actions and causes should be available for public consumption.

The excuse of people arguing every decision, or PM spamming the mods, etc, is moot. Have more than one complaint/msg to the mod on an action be an offense and it's a non issue. Someone complains more than once or PM spams, they get a holiday, problem solved.

Then at least the moderation would have to have the illusion of impartiality, justification, and accountability.

The first one went bad and was removed. The second one was pulled because the mods don't take kindly to people duplicating threads that were removed.

(thumbs u

So much for the theories of conspiracy against one particular political party and persuasion.

(thumbs u

So much for the theories of conspiracy against one particular political party and persuasion.

this for example, is a closeted political post, and proper moderation would pull it immediately and issue a warning...

Also, he posted the conversation he had with the mod regarding the second thread, and there is nothing conspiratorial about it, just bias unjustified moderation from the sounds of it...

You aren't per chance a mod are you? As they are all high-post count water cooler types...

I was OP for both Trump 1st appearance threads, and I didn't even get to see any of the comments in the first thread. All I knew is that they yanked it. The second thread was all above board, as Lazyboy said, all about comics history (FYI first Trump is probably World War 3 Illustrated #10, still need visual confirmation, working on getting a copy of it).

I received a private warning PM about the second thread, and I asked for the rationale for pulling the second thread. Response: "While referencing a character, these are real political people, which is not allowed on the boards."

My response: "So, again, not to be belligerent, but how do any of the Obama books or books with Hitler on the cover or any other political figure in comics get discussed on this forum? Shouldn't a thread be judged on its content? If you actually looked at what was being discussed on the second Trump thread, it was a discussion of comic book history and had ZERO to do with politics. I just don't get how you can, in good conscience, censor a discussion of comic book history that does not veer into political opinions."

I have no personal political/ideological interest in promoting Trump, but not being able to discuss comics history on the CGC forum is pretty terrible.

Doesn't surprise me at all, the mods and moderation on this board is disgusting and the worst I have ever seen on any forum, as I often point out. The same person who deleted your threads, anonymously, with no accountability to the users they moderate, could very well have been in the thread arguing with you, or one of their buddies was, or they were just butthurt.

Even if the mods have to hide their real identities (cowardly tbh) to prevent personal accountability, the moderation actions and causes should be available for public consumption.

The excuse of people arguing every decision, or PM spamming the mods, etc, is moot. Have more than one complaint/msg to the mod on an action be an offense and it's a non issue. Someone complains more than once or PM spams, they get a holiday, problem solved.

Then at least the moderation would have to have the illusion of impartiality, justification, and accountability.

Have you ever tried moderating yourself? I suspect if you were in their shoes you'd be reading your own post wanting yourself to just shut it. Its a thankless job and whatever decisions you make someone will complain.

We have a great website to discuss comics, yeah, like 1% of 1% of 1% of discussions are deleted, WHO CARES. This site is FREE. You are not PAYING for JACK.

The mods do a good job for the most part and let a lot of stuff go. Once in a while something gets deleted, yes, that's the way it works.

they're so evil and censory that your post is still up!

i think they're trying to avoid flame wars I guess

Have you ever tried moderating yourself? I suspect if you were in their shoes you'd be reading your own post wanting yourself to just shut it. Its a thankless job and whatever decisions you make someone will complain.

We have a great website to discuss comics, yeah, like 1% of 1% of 1% of discussions are deleted, WHO CARES. This site is FREE. You are not PAYING for JACK.

The mods do a good job for the most part and let a lot of stuff go. Once in a while something gets deleted, yes, that's the way it works.

I have been unpaid moderation staff on playstation US and gamebattles(Now MLG), two boards that are larger with a much more aggressive and abusive user base. I have also run community interest websites/forums, and I am a VP(software/technology) of a private software company that has a community and forum.

I know that some of the mods are just CGC employees that don't even post here. I don't fault them at all for the work that they do, and it is a good community no doubt.

However, and I have said it many times, what I do fault are:

-Anonymous moderation with no accountability, Generic Mod accounts that people sign into (not their real accounts) in order to moderate in private, offering no justification for their actions, and making everything hidden from the user base on the "Mods only section of the board".

-Cliques, where high post count users, generally associated with the Water Cooler area, are either mods, or friends with the mods, off the boards, in "real life", at cons, etc etc

-Bias, the intentionally ambiguous moderation rules and description on the forum are supposedly meant to "keep the peace", but its essentially a framework for abuse and bias. Most moderation is good, some of it is clearly biased, but that bias is implicitly protected.

CGC is a "just a bunch of guys" more than a true "corporation". But a professional company, even one run by a small circle of interconnected people, should run a professional forum for their users. When they do finally update the forum software, I pray that they have public moderaters (aka moderator badges on the username) and ditch the generic cgcmod0 nonsense that allows for anonymous unaccountable moderation. It's not right, and just because the loudest group on the forums is buddies with the moderation group, doesnt mean the rest of the board and individual users shouldn't be as equally important and represented.

2c

they're so evil and censory that your post is still up!

I didnt say either of those things, and this is far from the first time I have talked about these issues. I've had Arch quotes in my sig for years from past debates on this subject.

The User talking about his Trump threads getting yanked by bias'd moderation actions, just brings it all back. The Usual Suspects on here will say and do what they always do and say...

I express my long held opinions in support of him and his threads, cause I dont care AT ALL what people think or say about me, and cause he should know he isnt alone in seeing what's wrong with "some" of the moderation actions that happen here.

(thumbs u

this for example, is a closeted political post, and proper moderation would pull it immediately and issue a warning...

Bollocks. It's a response to the claim in an earlier post (#9649349) that only posts pertaining to one particular political party and persuasion were being deleted. Another poster familiar with the first deleted thread provided the alternative, factual, and nonconspiratorial explanation.

Why IS this thread still here? (shrug)

Trump's first appearance in comics is political but Obama's first appearance in comics isn't? :insane:

Read the rest of the thread. Lazyboy posted the explanation already - the original thread on Trump became political and had to be pulled, and was followed by the same original poster attempting to start the same thread again, which of course is also inappropriate board behavior and was pulled.

You ever see anyone start a thread, have it pulled, and then start the same thread again without it being pulled as well? On any subject? Of course not. Capisco?

Just consider ANY other thread where political comments are posted. What happens?

The COMMENTS are scrubbed and moderation action is taken. The entire thread isn't poofed. It just seems very strange where discussions regarding Obama's (or any political figure's) appearances in comics have taken place as long as I've been here, but a thread is started regarding the now president-elect's first appearance in comics and :ohnoez: POOF! (tsk) POOF! :ohnoez:

Bollocks. It's a response to the claim in an earlier post (#9649349) that only posts pertaining to one particular political party and persuasion were being deleted. Another poster familiar with the first deleted thread provided the alternative, factual, and nonconspiratorial explanation.

It's a political statement, targeting one group of people with labeling and characterization, and aligning yourself clearly with the "other" group.

Hence my statement, "closeted", because its very clearly a political, dog-whistle, virtue-signalling, statement, wrapped up in a "oh, who me?" sophistry to pretend apolitical-ness. Not enough for a strike, but certainly should be deleted with warning.