• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

most valuable piece of comicbbok artwork?

100 posts in this topic

Of ACTUAL pieces I have seen , NOT theoretical pieces that have been rumored to exist...I would say the Cover to Spiderman 122 is the most Historic and valuable piece of original comic art to exist

The ASM 122 cover does exist and changed hands a few years ago. The price WAS steep but I think it would still come up short when stacked against others. Don't get me wrong, the cover is fabulous and historically important; just likely not the most expensive.

The ASM 122 cover does exist and changed hands a few years ago. The price WAS steep but I think it would still come up short when stacked against others. Don't get me wrong, the cover is fabulous and historically important; just likely not the most expensive.

Really? What do you think it would "come up short" against when compared to ??? I believe that cover is one of the nicest and most highly sort of comic book covers.

There is a long and humorous story about that cover when it was "finally" offered a few years back. That cover is socked away in a private collection and will not be offered for sale for SOME time. PM for the juicy details.

Of ACTUAL pieces I have seen , NOT theoretical pieces that have been rumored to exist...I would say the Cover to Spiderman 122 is the most Historic and valuable piece of original comic art to exist

I would think the Hulk #181 cover would bring more than the Spidey #122 cover.

And it is definitely out there also.

I would think the Hulk #181 cover would bring more than the Spidey #122 cover.

And it is definitely out there also.

What about the GS X-Men #1 cover? Does it exist? I would think that would be more valuable too. How about any of the classic Steranko, Adams or BWS covers? Do they exist, and would they go for more?

Hi Stephen,

These guys deserve to know a little more.....

The GS X-Men 1 sold for a six-figure sum, and I don't mean 100,001.00.

The ASM 122 cover sold for something like 65K when it sold a couple years ago.

Hi Stephen,

These guys deserve to know a little more.....

The GS X-Men 1 sold for a six-figure sum, and I don't mean 100,001.00.

The ASM 122 cover sold for something like 65K when it sold a couple years ago.

Thanks Hari. Glad to hear that krazykat's hypothesis about the ASM 122 cover was indeed as ridiculous as it sounded, even to a non-OA collector such as myself.

Many of the classic Steranko, Adams and BWS covers exist and are in private collections. These rarely trade hands, as the folks who own them typically don't need the cash!

Thanks, I can imagine they would bring a pretty penny if they ever surfaced. Approximately when did the vast majority of OA start surviving intact? Mid-60s?

Many of the classic Steranko, Adams and BWS covers exist and are in private collections. These rarely trade hands, as the folks who own them typically don't need the cash!

Chris Foss told me he has the cover to X-Men 50 and was - IIRC, which is always a craapshoot these days - offered in excess of 50K for it and turned it down.

which of course immediately made me want to kill him. others may have different reasons, but that one's mine

Chris Foss told me he has the cover to X-Men 50 and was - IIRC, which is always a craapshoot these days - offered in excess of 50K for it and turned it down.

which of course immediately made me want to kill him. others may have different reasons, but that one's mine

You wanted to kill him because he owns the X-Men 50 cover or because he turned down $50K for it?