• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

most valuable piece of comicbbok artwork?

100 posts in this topic

what do you guys beleive is the most valuable piece of EXSISTING comicbook artwork?

i bring this up because heritage is pushing the marvel 1 page its auctioning as the most valuable and historic piece of exsisiting artwork ever.

do you agree with this and if not,what is youre pick for most valuable artwork

I vote for JB's Planet #1 cover.

Me too, I mentioned that in this thread....others did not feel the same way. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it's a great piece. I love Planets. But... no way is it at the top of the heap. There's absolutely no crossover appeal to it and even amongst comic collectors it doesn't have the appeal of something like the Superman daily or the Marvel Comics #1 page.

Me too, I mentioned that in this thread....others did not feel the same way. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it's a great piece. I love Planets. But... no way is it at the top of the heap. There's absolutely no crossover appeal to it and even amongst comic collectors it doesn't have the appeal of something like the Superman daily or the Marvel Comics #1 page.

I knew about the Marvel 1 page, but the problem with OA is that it's so hard to figure out what exists and what does not. So much is word of mouth. confused-smiley-013.gif I agree that both of those would bring more than the Planet 1 cover.

in reference to which is more valuable,, the planet 1 artwork cover vs the marvel 1 interior pages artwork ,im thinking that while marvel 1 artwork is more historically important than planet 1 artwork,i think the guys are picking the planet 1 cover over the marvel interior panels because they feel that COVER artwork is worth more than interior panel artwork,,also i might add,the artistic complexity of the planet cover is far more involved and artistically beautiful than the simplicity of the marvel interior pages..for all these reasons,im picking planet 1 art.....does anyone FINALLY agree with me?

I'm no expert, but I've been interested in this question myself recently, and have looked through old threads here and at comicart-l to see what's been said on the subject.

It could be that nobody will be able to get a handle on the question of "what's the most valuable single piece of comic art" for many years if ever, as it seems that many longtime art collectors and dealers assert that there is a good possibility that some of the key/early silver age Marvel covers exist in long term private collections. If something like an Amazing Spider-Man #1 cover really does exist, that's going to give anything else out there a run for its money.

Of things that are definitely known to exist, I think zillatoy has a good point in that other thread that the Bat #1 page and the Superman #14 cover are going to be right up there. I think this Marvel #1 page is going to be right up there too.

There are some other very desireable golden age covers mentioned in that other thread, and also worth noting for honorable mention if nothing else is classic Jerry Robinson Joker covers for Detective #69 and #71, which can be seen along with some other great golden age art here:

http://www.cagle.com/hogan/features/breman/breman.asp

Also perhaps at least worthy of a mention that I didn't see in a quick scan of that other thread are the famous Joe Simon Captain America design sketch & "here's the character" note to Martin Goodman at the bottom and the also famous original Joker concept sketch in the form of the "Joker card" by Jerry Robinson.

That was the strip art to the first Superman daily. Geppi bought it in 1994, and then was high bidder on it in Heritage in 2002. Now of course I don't know if he sold it and bought it back in between the two auctions.

I actually agree with you Rob. The question is not what is the most pleasing to the eye, but what has the 'greatest value'. Certainly, Superman, Batman and Spiderman are on the top of the heap. The Action 15 cover and Human Torch cover by Schomburg sold 6 years ago for over 200k.

This is not a 'competition'. It is hard to know what is out there. I am a HUGE Lou Fine fan. So "for me", having this wonderful image by my favorite artist on the first issue of a classic GA series is MY "grail". It is not, necesarily, YOUR "grail". It is of course relative both as to desireability and value. As to historical importance the Marvel page is more HISTORICALLY important. But altho this is from Marvel 1, it is "only" the Sub-mariner

There is no answer to the question. From my point of view, acquisition of Planet 1 (which was lucky in itself) sated the desire to find other mountains to climb or rivers to cross. In other words, this collector is quite happy with what he has got. Would I like to have the Marvel page? You bet! But it won't be. I feel as i stated above that IF it sells, it probably will go to a non-comicbook person, or end up in one of those 'trade deals'. It has priced itself out of my league

There is so much wonderful art out there. It is a subjective pasttime. But I guess it is subjects like this that allow us to have fun debating an issue that has no answer. Jon

The Capt. America # 1Cover that Brad savage has but no one has seen??

If the OA Cap #1 cover really exists, you`d have to think that tops just about any other OA unless the cover for one of the usual suspects (Action 1, Superman 1, Tec 27, Batman 1, Marvel Comics 1, Whiz 2) were to emerge.

Good to see you back on the boards, Steve!

I think I mentioned this in a previous thread: cover to Weird Science Fantasy 29 by Frazetta.

Good thought. Another one that slipped my mind previously as being worthy of the list of contenders would be the unused Marvel #1 (or I guess some now feel it was for #2?) cover.