• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE GREEN HORNET from Paramount Pictures (2019?)

7 posts in this topic

WARRIOR & THE ACCOUNTANT Director Gavin O'Connor Set To Helm A Reboot Of THE GREEN HORNET

the-green-hornet-516725debf783.png

Deadline is reporting that Paramount Pictures & Chernin Entertainment have acquired the rights to The Green Hornet and have started preliminary work on developing a reboot with Gavin O'Connor (Warrior; The Accountant) attached to direct.

O'Connor, who admits to being a massive Green Hornet fan growing up, will also serve as a producer alongside Chernin Entertainment and will work closely with screenwriter Sean O'Keefe on crafting the film's -script.

Unlike the original '60s series, which starred Van Williams as Britt Reid & Bruce Lee as Kato, or the 2011 action/comedy, which starred Seth Rogen (Sausage Party) & Jay Chou (Now You See Me 2) in the lead roles, the reboot is expected to be a more edgy, more badass take on the classic crime-fighter with the hopes of turning the series into a new franchise for the studio.

In a lengthy statement, which you can read in full HERE, O'Connor described the opportunity as a dream come true: “I’ve been wanting to make this movie — and create this franchise — since I’ve wanted to make movies. As a kid, when most of my friends were into Superman and Batman, there was only one superhero who held my interest — The Green Hornet. I always thought he was the baddest badass because he had no superpowers. The Green Hornet was a human superhero. And he didn’t wear a clown costume. And he was a criminal — in the eyes of the law — and in the eyes of the criminal world. So all this felt real to me. Imagine climbing to the top of the Himalayas, or Mount Everest, or K2 over and over again and no one ever knew? You can never tell anybody. That’s the life of Britt and Kato. What they do, they can never say. They don’t take credit for anything.”

Into The Badlands - Daniel Wu as Kato

tumblr_nroy98H8Jy1s41hp1o8_500.gif

New "Badass" Green Hornet movie on the way, sans Seth Rogen

green-hornet-badass-fb.jpg

The rights have since lapsed to Paramount, who recently tapped director Gavin O'Connor (THE ACCOUNTANT) to take the reins of new GREEN HORNET reboot. Here's what O'Connor had to say about the project:

"I’ve been wanting to make this movie — and create this franchise — since I’ve wanted to make movies...[a]s a kid, when most of my friends were into Superman and Batman, there was only one superhero who held my interest — The Green Hornet. I always thought he was the baddest badass because he had no superpowers. The Green Hornet was a human superhero. And he didn’t wear a clown costume. And he was a criminal — in the eyes of the law — and in the eyes of the criminal world. So all this felt real to me. Imagine climbing to the top of the Himalayas, or Mount Everest, or K2 over and over again and no one ever knew? You can never tell anybody. That’s the life of Britt and Kato. What they do, they can never say. They don’t take credit for anything."

At least the dude's passionate. A mandate also seems to make the character a cool and "badass", rather than campy like the '60s show or Rogen's 2011 vehicle:

"My intention is to bring a gravitas to The Green Hornet that wipes away the camp and kitsch of the previous iteration...When we meet Britt Reid he’s lost faith in the system. Lost faith in service. In institutions. If that’s the way the world works, that’s what the world’s going to get...Britt made money doing bad things, but moving forward he’s making no money doing good things. He must realize his destiny as a protector and force of justice."

And they could always do a cool crossover.