• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHO HAS THE GRETAEST COMICBOOK COLLECTION? GOLDEN AGE

148 posts in this topic

best collection bought or found and kept whole

That's actually a pretty interesting question. A handful or even a single major find became a cornerstone of many well-known dealer's businesses. Are there any other well-known finds that were kept whole besides Bangzoom's? I'm sure there are many we don't know about.

That's actually a pretty interesting question. A handful or even a single major find became a cornerstone of many well-known dealer's businesses. Are there any other well-known finds that were kept whole besides Bangzoom's? I'm sure there are many we don't know about.

I think "many" may be a stretch.

Isn't there a female collector that has quite an extensive collection? I have seen her mentioned on the boards a few times. If I recall correctly. She was/is mostly a D.C. collector. Just a massive amount of major books in her collection. I remember seeing a story in some paper article that was posted here. Surely she would have to be considered as a pretty big player!?

Christine Farrell

The problem is that no one I'm aware of knows what kinds of grades her books are in, and that makes a huge difference. If the big books are low grade or restored, there's obviously a huge impact on value. That's why no one automatically puts Ian Levine's collection in the list, because we know some of the big books are restored or low grade (which is cool, since Ian's all about completeness, not high grade).

Christine's DC collection is pretty complete. Her brother Skip's collection is even more impressive imho. Vermonters both.

Isn't there a female collector that has quite an extensive collection? I have seen her mentioned on the boards a few times. If I recall correctly. She was/is mostly a D.C. collector. Just a massive amount of major books in her collection. I remember seeing a story in some paper article that was posted here. Surely she would have to be considered as a pretty big player!?

Christine Farrell

The problem is that no one I'm aware of knows what kinds of grades her books are in, and that makes a huge difference. If the big books are low grade or restored, there's obviously a huge impact on value. That's why no one automatically puts Ian Levine's collection in the list, because we know some of the big books are restored or low grade (which is cool, since Ian's all about completeness, not high grade).

Christine's DC collection is pretty complete. Her brother Skip's collection is even more impressive imho. Vermonters both.

From what we've been told, Christine's DC collection IS complete. But what kind of grades are the books in?

What's in her brother's collection?

I think "many" may be a stretch.

I don't necessarily disagree, but here's the way I always think about that -- do you think there's a single great unknown GA collection in your state? Pretty fair bet, right? I bet many of us already know of at least one major collection that is off the grid.

Multiply that by 50, more or less, and you've got a lot of interesting collections.

Condition is all over the place, but Don Rosa has an incredible collection as well. He is 90% complete from 1947 up to the point that he sold a few years ago (about 1970), including complete Pre-code horror, complete EC, complete Disney, complete Marvel & DC, complete four color, mostly complete Dell, a good number of Fiction House, some Timely, near complete Fawcett, near complete Quality, etc.

I have been told by a guy who has seen it and whose opinion I respect that he has a NM Showcase #4.

I heard a great story about how alot of the collection was purchased. One night a bunch of guys were playing cards in Louisville (I think this was about 1972), and Don drives up in a station wagon, and the entire care is filled with comics. Everywhere you could stack a comic, comics were stacked, from floor to ceiling. Don tells a guy named Ray Fuschea ( I don't know if that spelling is correct) that he needs some money. There are more books, many more apparently. So Don borrows what he can get from Ray and scrounges up everything he can find and goes and gets the rest of the books. I think he paid a dime a piece for everything that he bought.