• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on cover wear

4 posts in this topic

Hi, hope it's OK to ask questions about home grading here. I am trying to take this a bit more seriously and am reviewing all of my comics to re-grade them. I seem to have a bunch of comics from around the 1980s where if you just look at the book, it looks great - corners are good, very little spine wear. But under the light, you can see lots of dents, bumps, and non-color-breaking creases. It's all stuff that would not show up on a scan or anything, just unevenness to the cover.

I've been home-grading books like this as a 6 if they have a lot of it, and an 8 if they have only a little. Am I being too harsh with the 6?

I'm assuming this does fall under the category of "cover wear" but it seems like most descriptions of wear involve something being missing, tears, color fade, etc. There's nothing necessarily missing on these books, they've just got some slight indentions.

If these are 80's books and they are square, sharp corners no color breaking defects but have dents, light bumps, non-color breaking creases then they are probably in the 8.5/9.0 arena on an otherwise 9.4/9.6 book.

CGC will account for those defects that seem "invisible" that is why pressing has become so prominent....

If these are 80's books and they are square, sharp corners no color breaking defects but have dents, light bumps, non-color breaking creases then they are probably in the 8.5/9.0 arena on an otherwise 9.4/9.6 book.

CGC will account for those defects that seem "invisible" that is why pressing has become so prominent....

:hi: Yep, the kind of marks which show that the book was actually read once or twice, or pawed through while looking for another book. To OP: 6.0 is way too harsh, of course. Spend some time looking at good grader threads and you'll get a better feel for it.