• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does colour touch affect comics value??

13 posts in this topic

Depends on the book.

The rarer the book the less a small to moderate amount of CT reduces the value of low grade comics.

so that fact that the books are already only good doesnt matter?

Well a bronze age book that's worth (actually sells on eBay for) $5 in Good is probably worth $1 if it's got CT on it.

But an ASM 1 2.0 PLOD S(P/A) probably goes 70-80% of a blue label 2.0.

I sold some FVF bronze FFs that someone marked in ink (a numbering code) a few years ago on eBay.

Normally the lot would get me $3-$4 for each book but with the ink marks they sold for ~25 cents each.

Some GVG FFs of the same issues without ink marks were going for $1 each the same week.

tonofbricks.gif

On more common books any major writing or inking or CT kills them.

Interesting question. A Good can certainly have writing on the cover (pencil AND ink). So does the writing have to be words? What about those books we see where someone has outlined a character of the book's title with pencil or ink? That certainly isn't WRITING but seems to be allowed in Good.

Now what if someone took a fine magic marker and write their name on the book? Would that be considered restoration or just "writing on the cover?"

Again, keep in mind we are talking Good condition here. If a Good hits CGC with marker name written and it gets a blue, but then another Good hits CGC and it has some marker color touching some areas, this would make a case for the concept of INTENT being an official part of the definition of restoration.

Beyond this consideration, I tend to agree that the value would be reduced in many collectgors' eyes as cited above.

Still - the whole INTENT thing is kind of intriquing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If it's a GA book, or even early SA and the color touch is minor - it might not matter at all.

So many factors can go into reducing the grade to Good, that eye appeal plays a bigger role than minor restoration like glue or color touch. What would you rather have a low grade book with a fair amount of general wear, and a small spine split, but still bright colors and nice pages with a bit of color touch, or an equally worn but faded copy with tan pages, some chipping and no color touch?

You guys are nuts. A Good 2.0 condition book that has a little color touch (and is otherwise in Good condition even without the color touch) would lose little or no value at all because of the color touch. Amateur repair is allowed in 3.0, and is "common" in silver age and older books in 2.0 per the OGG. Since most 2.0 grade buyers are just looking for "any" copy of a book, I don't think it would have any significant impact on the book at all unless the book was a 1.8 or lower before the color touch was applied.

What books are they Robest?

If they are key books.. then I would say the value might take a slight dip, but if they were in Good condition already before the marker was applied...well I guess it would depend on where/and how the CT was applied.

But any books besides key books in reader condtion, are just that.... readers.

And a little CT aint gonna do anything to hurt the value of an already low value book.

Ze-

I'd say it would take an awful lot of CT to affect a book that was already a 2.0 or less.

Since the only people looking for them in the first place obviously are not condition freaks,whats a little CT going to mean to the buyer.While at higer grades, it is a big hit,at 2.0 I'd not give it a second thought.

I'd say it would take an awful lot of CT to affect a book that was already a 2.0 or less.

Since the only people looking for them in the first place obviously are not condition freaks,whats a little CT going to mean to the buyer.While at higer grades, it is a big hit,at 2.0 I'd not give it a second thought.

Bill, I disagree generally. Case in point: I have a 3.0 - 3.5 EC book - I forget the title right now, but it's a black cover with a guy strangling some woman in a boat before he dumps her body into the lake - Crime SuspenStories #5? Well some mental giant has filled in all of the spine creasing with black ball point pen - it totally ruins the collectible experience for me, even THOUGH I still get to enjoy the guts of the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

How does colour touch affect comics value

Well, if you are comickeys - it increases the comics value. Of course, that is because he will sell it for nm 9.8 and not disclose the color touch.